Friendly this Sat ??

Hall of Famer

Re: Friendly this Sat ??

06 Apr 2021 15:40 pm:

Or you could have much more intense training this week, as there's no need to taper down training ahead of a match at the weekend.
"In my experience, eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles."

Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones
On the board

06 Apr 2021 16:14 pm:

Diamo wrote:I'm fairly sure I recall the club or some players posting about a friendly against Hartpury recently. If there's nothing else in the way, I would expect the club to go down that route again. Whether that is ok to write off a ban, I can't judge! ;)

I think the aforementioned Matt Banahan played at 10 in that game. It was more of a warm up for Hartpury than giving our players a run out. I also seem to remember it was only 30 mins a half.
Hall of Famer

06 Apr 2021 16:23 pm:

I would think they’ll jump at the chance to rest some tired bodies and focus on training without having to worry about match prep.
Hall of Famer

06 Apr 2021 16:29 pm:

I think that the Bristol friendly is still to be confirmd. Wuss did not play last week so a little different to Glos. We certinly have players who have not played a game this season !!
Hall of Famer

06 Apr 2021 16:43 pm:

I was only thinking it an idea for those whom have hardly played this season or coming back from injury. Unlikely to involve anyone who played v La Rochelle.

For me hard training simply doesn't equate to match-time. And no A-League, Academy League or Premiership Cup this season.

I expect we have some players gagging for match time UNLESS of course they have been lent to Hartpury and others ??

Was just a thought....
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hero in the making

06 Apr 2021 16:52 pm:

Chalker wrote:Our two first team props need wrapping in cotton wool, so please don’t risk them in a meaningless friendly.

At Wasps we are in much the same boat. I think the players, albeit disappointed, would welcome a rest before we face Exeter.
‘Politicians and diapers must be changed often and for the same reason.’ Mark Twain.
First team regular

07 Apr 2021 12:26 pm:

There is no way I'd risk any first team regulars in a friendly but I think a friendly would benefit Gloucester and is a great idea assuming:
1- we have enough players (outside the 1st team regulars) in the covid training bubble that need game time.
2- it isn't expensive to arrange and hold the friendly as there wouldn't be any external funding for friendly.

I seem to remember commentators saying GS had used ~55 players this season, so presumably point 1 wouldn't be an issue despite one of the reasons for the cancellation of the 2021 Premiership Rugby Shield being the risk the competition would compromise Covid-19 training bubbles.

As for point 2, you reap what you sow.
Dude

07 Apr 2021 18:05 pm:

Please forgive my ignorance but I don’t understand point 2.
First team regular

08 Apr 2021 12:14 pm:

Its the costs of hosting a friendly game or travelling for an away friendly. Probably not much cost but if income is down every penny might count and an untelevised friendly with out a crowd won't generate any income.
Hall of Famer

08 Apr 2021 19:38 pm:

Wuss v Bristol Game on behind closed doors.
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby