"Championship clubs are being ‘sold down the river’ by RFU"

Hall of Famer

Re: "Championship clubs are being ‘sold down the river’ by R

08 Apr 2021 18:43 pm:

Good post Fargo, I agree.
Hero in the making
Location: North County Dublin, via The Longlevens Hood, Castle Grim and Old Richians...

08 Apr 2021 21:31 pm:

Ipswichglos wrote:In Australia - yes very much so. The game is dying, maybe not completely down to super rugby. But it is such a shame. They don't really even play at school boy level in many areas of Aus now.

I can’t speak for the demise of Super Rugby in Oz if this is the case. The proposed Trans-Tasman tournament with just NZ v Oz provinces might see interest rekindled. However, by contrast the NRL operate a no relegation policy and is the most popular of the two codes in Australia. I found this post on loverugbyleague.com -
Since the NRL formed–two years after Super League–the NRL has had 12 different clubs lift the trophy. Of the 4 clubs that have not won the competition, all clubs but one(!) have made it to the grand final at least once. The NRL has a great deal of parity; Super League not so much. The cause, I suspect, is promotion and relegation. If the NRL had promotion and relegation, Sydney Roosters would have been relegated in 2010; instead they went to the grand final that year. Paramatta Eels would have been relegated in 2019; instead they narrowly missed out on a top-four finish and had a 58-point win in the first round of playoffs. In fact, the last place NRL team is often back in the playoff picture within a season or two. Compare again to the Super League. Promotion and relegation is basically a revolving door, with Championship-quality sides unable to achieve any sustained success because of the financial insecurity that comes with not knowing year-on-year whether you will be fielding a full-time professional squad.
Hero in the making
Location: North County Dublin, via The Longlevens Hood, Castle Grim and Old Richians...

08 Apr 2021 21:48 pm:

A lot of similarities can be drawn from that post between the success of the NRL against Super League which mirrors our own Premiership. During the history of the Premiership the same has happened with 3-4 clubs dominating, like Super League, whereas most NRL clubs have been to a Grand Final and won. The argument could also be that the sugar daddy’s have also influenced that shift in power when you consider Bristol and Sale and previously Sarries. The salary cap is policed far more stringently in the NRL, just ask Melbourne Storm what happened when they did a Sarries! Every club has the same budget - so possibly this has to be the way forward for the Premiership.

In addition ring fencing can’t realistically exist for just a year since Covid. It needs 2-3 years minimum to rebuild the clubs finances and make them viable. To say promotion/relegation after a year is unrealistic. Jon Sharp mentioned that those clubs with aspirations will need at least 5 years to be ready, so maybe make it 5 years before the situation is reviewed and then promote Pirates, Ealing and Coventry.
Hero in the making

08 Apr 2021 22:07 pm:

Ipswichglos wrote:Let's be honest the pro 14 is a mess of a competition and most of the clubs are proped up by the unions and playershaving to play in country to get capped. Its not a model to follow.

Yes it is. The Italians should play in France D2 or invest in developing their own league. But CVC have recently invested and bought a chunk of the Pro 14, soon to be Pro 14/16 Rainbow Cup with the addition of the South African Provinces who have now left Super Rugby - did CVC know something?

Also, apparently CVC were opposed to relegation being scrapped from the Premiership this season, but then they take a stake in the Pro 14 which has no relegation? Consistency?

Overall, for the Premiership and the clubs to be viable, ring fencing needs to be introduced so the clubs can build their business and attract investment. And like the NRL the clubs budgets need to be policed and not ignored. Sarries were punished yet it seems that at least 2 maybe 3 clubs are treading the same path of spending over the cap. I’ll leave you to deduce who I think the culprits are.
Vice-Captain

09 Apr 2021 00:11 am:

Amongst all of this, it's amazing to think France will have three professional leagues.
Turns out for the A team

09 Apr 2021 07:36 am:

There are fans of rugby union and then then are those that just support Gloucester. I understand why some Gloucester fans support ring fencing but imagine if you supported a team in the Championship or consider if Gloucester were in that league. I am certain you would favour promotion. The only recent casualty of promotion was London Welsh. They simply weren’t ready to compete for a number of reasons and should have declined promotion. All other clubs that have been promoted have benefitted from the experience and have done well in the Premiership. Ealing, Coventry, Doncaster and Cornish Pirates all understand that they need to be ready to be promoted. Ealing are ready this season. Cornish Pirates would prefer it next season due to stadium and Coventry and Doncaster are further away. A suspension for 3 or 5 seasons will stunt their plans and growth. The RFU are literally killing these clubs and rugby at grass roots level is in dire straits. This is not just about the elite few clubs in the Premiership.
Hall of Famer

09 Apr 2021 07:38 am:

Kernow Glos wrote:There are fans of rugby union and then then are those that just support Gloucester. .... The RFU are literally killing these clubs and rugby at grass roots level is in dire straits. This is not just about the elite few clubs in the Premiership.

I agree.
Previously Mark from Stroud
Vice-Captain

09 Apr 2021 08:05 am:

The championship should take a look at how it differentiates itself from the top tier... I think there is an opportunity here.

One obvious change would be to move the season to run mostly over the summer. This immediately creates a much bigger crowd potential... Somewhere like London Welsh would be absolutely packed out for a sunny afternoon fixture. No clashes with the fans going to the six nations instead... They would have half a chance of getting a tv deal, when there is no football to fill the schedules.

Would be much easier for dual registered players, who get a run out in competitive rugby in the offseason and then it puts players are in the shop window for a "winter contract".

They could have the division split on more geographic lines, so that there was plenty of local derby's and a big playoff at the end of the year.
Hall of Famer
Location: Sent to Coventry - Well someone's got to live here!

09 Apr 2021 14:07 pm:

Mark Dudley wrote:
Kernow Glos wrote:There are fans of rugby union and then then are those that just support Gloucester. .... The RFU are literally killing these clubs and rugby at grass roots level is in dire straits. This is not just about the elite few clubs in the Premiership.

I agree.

Me too.

For obvious reasons I do have a bit of insight into the Cov situation. They were in the second year of a 5 year plan when Covid struck. That's now been put back by a couple of years. There is a huge amount of investment, particularly in Butts Park Arena, planned, all based on the ability to try for promotion.

Imagine that all those years ago when leagues and then professionalism came along, Cov had embraced it successfully and Glaws didn't. Now at last we could see a way back to the top table, but the big boys were trying to scupper it through ring fencing. How would we feel?

The championship has been poorly treated for years and the RFU has missed a trick, in my view, just compare the French situation. Also ring fencing is protectionism and that is never a positive thing in the long run.
Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson.
Hall of Famer

09 Apr 2021 14:18 pm:

Could the city of Coventry support two premiership clubs?
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby