Plastic ( Recycling is on a Monday )
12%
Not bothered. ( Fence sitting )
37%

Total votes : 93

Hall of Famer

Re: The Pitch

25 Sep 2021 20:47 pm:

I’ve spoken with a fair few of the lads. They aren’t unanimously happy, some are sporting fairly bad 4g burns.

With that said, selfishly, I think it’s the right thing to do. Burns are annoying, but it’s pro sport, players learn to live with it..,ultimately it’s a commercial decision.

I’d much rather our club survives, well ideally flourishes, albeit as a player I’d be a little (quietly) pissed off.
First team regular

25 Sep 2021 21:05 pm:

Aside from the issue of burns, there's some suggestion that injuries are more common on plastic pitches and recovery times are longer. Could the new pitch affect player availability and general fitness over the course of a season?

25 Sep 2021 22:45 pm:

ryno_chelt wrote:I’ve spoken with a fair few of the lads. They aren’t unanimously happy, some are sporting fairly bad 4g burns.

With that said, selfishly, I think it’s the right thing to do. Burns are annoying, but it’s pro sport, players learn to live with it..,ultimately it’s a commercial decision.

I’d much rather our club survives, well ideally flourishes, albeit as a player I’d be a little (quietly) pissed off.

Just be honest about this ...in the premiership we are currently owned by guys that are penny pinching and robbing Peter to pay Paul. We aren't a 'chequebook' club because we have an owner who doesn't have the money or financial base to invest in alternative training facilities and support a decent pitch, along the lines of which we used to have until the current executive management changed the financial investment into its maintenance.

We are a comparatively poor club. The sooner our ownership structurally changes the better else we'll continue flatlining in the bottom quartile. Let's get back to a non-plastic Kingsholm with players that want to play for us as soon as possible.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
On the board

25 Sep 2021 22:51 pm:

Hear hear
On the board

26 Sep 2021 03:28 am:

I may be misremembering but not long back, wasn't there a quote from one of the club's officials saying that they were waiting for the new pitch to be okayed by World Rugby?
Site Admin

26 Sep 2021 06:13 am:

Yes, they certify manufacturers and installations.. regulation 22 sets out the details:

https://www.world.rugby/news/572286

https://www.world.rugby/news/578378/hos ... icial-turf

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/player ... es/testing

We’ve not made it onto the list of certified pitches yet, but presumably that’s forthcoming..

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/player ... ant-fields
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Vice-Captain

26 Sep 2021 08:03 am:

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, and I am sure that I will be corrected if l am wrong,
We now now have a fully artificial "multi use" pitch that can only be accessed if you have the correct footwear.
How does that work for concerts etc.?
I know Wuss and Saleries both actively encourage people onto the pitch after matches have finished.
Hall of Famer

26 Sep 2021 08:12 am:

I am not one for running on the pitch but surely scrums and especially those going backwards can do more damage to pitch than a pair of flat soled shoes/boots.

I can understand stilettos being banned as they will do damage to floor tiles as we all know.

Perhaps it is the germs carried on the bottom of shoes previously walked through parks etc.

I am clutching at straws to come up with an argument here
Hall of Famer

26 Sep 2021 08:22 am:

Rhino wrote:Not sure if this has already been mentioned, and I am sure that I will be corrected if l am wrong,
We now now have a fully artificial "multi use" pitch that can only be accessed if you have the correct footwear.
I know Wuss and Saleries both actively encourage people onto the pitch after matches have finished.

For concerts or other non sports events the ground can be covered.
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

26 Sep 2021 08:30 am:

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:
Rhino wrote:Not sure if this has already been mentioned, and I am sure that I will be corrected if l am wrong,

For concerts or other non sports events the ground can be covered.

So can grass.
Actually I was pretty impressed with the pitch, the bounce wasn’t unusual, apart from the ball being rugby ball shaped, the colour was grass like and if I hadn’t known I don’t think I would have realised the difference. I’m not saying I prefer it to grass based pitches but it didn’t have the noticeable effect I’d imagined.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby