Total votes : 93

The Pitch

04 Aug 2021 22:10 pm:

It had to be done :D :
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

Re: The Pitch

04 Aug 2021 22:17 pm:

It doesn’t matter what we think about the pitch. If the players are happy with it, I’m happy.

04 Aug 2021 22:52 pm:

TP17 wrote:It doesn’t matter what we think about the pitch. If the players are happy with it, I’m happy.

Two years ago the Club spent more, because the players wanted the hybrid over the plastic, due to injury fears. Training at Hartpury in the sunshine was great but the lease was coming to an end. A world class Training facility was planned, but Covid hit. However "we were better off than most". Conveniently, a drainage issues cropped up, which let's be fair, is easily solvable, especially as the ground is on top of a "clinker pit, which drains and allegedly the Contractors were at fault? It's also a reason why we can't have a normal Cantilever Stand, as you need stable fixing points. The World class training facility turns out to be a 70's build factory with little natural light & no outside grass area. Suddenly, the Players have an epiphany and agree that the future is plastic, even though hardly any Professional Clubs uses it? From the Times:

The club previously considered installing artificial turf in 2017, but opted for a hybrid surface after resistance from their players. This time George Skivington, the head coach, and his squad have now been persuaded of the advantages of an artificial pitch on which they will train and play matches.

I wonder what persuaded them? I have my thoughts. Personally I think, as usual, we've gone cheap on the Training facility and didn't really bother looking at other outside areas to site the facility, starting small but with a plan for growth.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

05 Aug 2021 04:36 am:

You ‘ve got a bee in your bonnet about this, haven’t you. It’s a silly poll, but if I was to vote I’d go for ‘the club and players have decided, I support their choice’.
Cherchez la truffe
Hall of Famer

05 Aug 2021 05:38 am:

Whatever was supposed to have been said by the players was pure spin. I'm sure that if the club had remained at Hartpury or had found a similar site elsewhere, the ground staff would still be on their lawnmowers.
It would appear a more cost effective training site has been found at Arjo and from then on the 4G pitch was inevitable.
Spin, pure and simple.
Hall of Famer

05 Aug 2021 05:59 am:

even though hardly any Professional Clubs uses it?

I can think of at least one 'successful team, and 2 others: with us that make a third of the premiership (OK 4/13ths)

...and didn't really bother looking at other outside areas to site the facility...

and you know this how, or is it a secret ? Perhaps only for selected fans to know....
Hall of Famer

05 Aug 2021 06:05 am:

colinboag wrote:You ‘ve got a bee in your bonnet about this, haven’t you. It’s a silly poll, but if I was to vote I’d go for ‘the club and players have decided, I support their choice’.

I’d also vote ‘back the decision made by management’
Hall of Famer

05 Aug 2021 06:14 am:

colinboag wrote:You ‘ve got a bee in your bonnet about this, haven’t you. It’s a silly poll, but if I was to vote I’d go for ‘the club and players have decided, I support their choice’.

+1
The artist formerly known as Porky
Hall of Famer

05 Aug 2021 06:38 am:

The question is what surface do you prefer? (not what surface do you think Glaws should have given all its financial / end of lease / coaches' views circumstances?)
It seems a fair question to ask. If you want to ask a different question then set up another poll .
Vice-Captain

05 Aug 2021 06:56 am:

A fair poll and good subject for discussion on a forum (isn’t this what shedweb is for?).

Personal preference is hybrid but I’ll get used to artificial I’m sure. I understand we’re not flash with cash so if this is part of reason so be it.

Not wholly convinced this what all players and coaches want, may be a case of towing the party line.
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby