POLL: What league position will Glaws finish in 21/22?

Where will Glaws finish in the GP in 21/22?

Poll ended at 18 Sep 2021 18:29 pm

1%
No votes
No votes
2%
3%
16%
15%
13%
7%
13%
13%
11%
7%

Total votes : 157

Hall of Famer

Re: POLL: What league position will Glaws finish in 21/22?

14 Sep 2021 19:18 pm:

I think I can see this going either way, was feeling really pessimistic but then hearing most podcast predicting us to be crap made me think on a bit..

1) We lost 7 games by a score and copped COVID just as we were building some form. With a couple of exceptions we ran teams hard and were competitive.

2) last season was pretty much Skivs first everyone was finding their feet with a total change in ethos which hopefully has been built on now.

3) While we haven’t set the world alight with transfers we equally haven’t lost many big names, those all went before we also had Cips walk after a few weeks that all must have really thrown the squad.

I see this being a slog this year but I think a couple of confidence boosting wins and a bit of luck around injuries I could see us going on a bit of a run.
Hall of Famer

15 Sep 2021 06:03 am:

Odds from the Independent:

Odds

Saracens - 15/8
Exeter Chiefs - 5/2
Bristol Bears - 5/1
Sale Sharks - 13/2

Harlequins - 12/1
Northampton Saints - 16/1
Wasps - 20/1
Leicester Tigers - 22/1

Bath Rugby - 25/1
Gloucester Rugby - 50/1
Worcester Warriors - 100/1
London Irish - 100/1
Newcastle Falcons - 150/1
Previously Mark from Stroud
Hall of Famer

15 Sep 2021 06:23 am:

Interesting team by team guide in The Times today, not predictions but a bit of a rundown. Summary for Glos:
Biggest Strength: Full Kingsholm. Commented that our home form with no crowds was hugely reduced on previous seasons and got 7 losing bonus points, as already mentioned on the thread.
Could be improved: Ball retention. Discusses highest league tackle count and lack of possession, second fewest number of carries per 80 apparently last year. Does mention the return of Polledri so don't think they know of the extent of his injury unfortunately.
Star man: LRZ and Big Year For: Hastings.

Interestingly, Leicester had even less carries than us last year but Newcastle came bottom of the pile in terms of backs with fewest metres, clean breaks and defenders beaten per 80 than anyone else.
Hall of Famer

15 Sep 2021 06:51 am:

Mark Dudley wrote:Odds from the Independent:

Odds

Saracens - 15/8
Exeter Chiefs - 5/2
Bristol Bears - 5/1
Sale Sharks - 13/2

Harlequins - 12/1
Northampton Saints - 16/1
Wasps - 20/1
Leicester Tigers - 22/1

Bath Rugby - 25/1
Gloucester Rugby - 50/1
Worcester Warriors - 100/1
London Irish - 100/1
Newcastle Falcons - 150/1

I’d swap Bath and Saints around but that looks about right to me.
Site Admin

15 Sep 2021 08:22 am:

Quite a few more votes in, which has shifted the weighted average to 8.88, so let's call it 9th.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

15 Sep 2021 08:34 am:

My observation is 52% of SW respondents have predicted 9th and below. High number for a supporters web-site....

Has anyone put money on GRFC to win title @ 50-1 ?? Would need much, much better odds for me to part with my loolah.

I have concluded this is yet another year of rebuilding combined with real fiscal restraints and expectations low.

The question is rebuilding from what (this time) ?? 11th, 9th, Covid....
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!

15 Sep 2021 09:08 am:

Quick question which I am still unsure about.
Are we spending up to the cap ? I understood we were but is this still the understanding?
IF we are, then I assume the only benefits of a big sponsor/ sugar daddy would be more money to spend on staff/ facilities etc. or am I missing something?
Hall of Famer

15 Sep 2021 09:22 am:

I don't think that we have a marquee player any more.
Site Admin

15 Sep 2021 09:38 am:

Gloucester Mute wrote:My observation is 52% of SW respondents have predicted 9th and below. High number for a supporters web-site....

Has anyone put money on GRFC to win title @ 50-1 ?? Would need much, much better odds for me to part with my loolah.

I have concluded this is yet another year of rebuilding combined with real fiscal restraints and expectations low.

The question is rebuilding from what (this time) ?? 11th, 9th, Covid....

Sure, but it's a big spread, 9th - 13th. Corollary to your point would be that only 5% went for the top 5 spots, but which leaves 43% of all votes in the much tighter 6, 7 & 8th band, which must surely offer some support?

I'd be quite happy with a bit of mid-table obscurity this year.. maybe even daring to dream about a champions cup place for a while?
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
On the board

15 Sep 2021 09:39 am:

I’m pretty bullish about the new season. 20/21 was a difficult one at the beginning as new coaches were coming in and players were having to adjust to new systems both in attack and defence. Cipriani left suddenly and Covid brought uncertainly and meant the 16th man was absent during home fixtures. We lost plenty of matches - but, generally, only by a score. I certainly saw huge improvements and we ended the season on very decent form and finally found our feet in terms in terms of results.

Our squad is settled and we have a host of superb players in our ranks. It’s not the finished article but George seems here for the long term and we will end up with an outfit in his image. I’m as excited about the future as I was disillusioned with the old way of doing things. Happily we have no more Southern Hemisphere superstars bumping up their pension - just a core group of lads who want to be here for the right reasons.

I’m thinking 6th to 8th. If we are higher come next summer, that’ll be brilliant. If we are lower, that’s disappointing but understandable enough.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby