Simpson joining Sarries

Re: Simpson joining Sarries

12 Oct 2021 14:58 pm:

Interesting to see if he works well with Cips. I feel that it went off the boil after a good start at Kingsholm. We’ll see.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

12 Oct 2021 15:39 pm:

Lewi7 wrote:Without knowing for sure, ie: seeing the books as it were, some are prepared to say the Club has lied, quite amazing really.

What is certain is that there are many variations in the cap policy, covering academy players, dual registrations, long term injured, exclusion of marquee players and so on.

Now, if one has access to the books, can understand the policy and distil it into the real world environment at Glos then crack on with your assumptions, until then might be best from calling the Club's management liars.

Perhaps I should have chosen different words . I don’t believe they have gone out to deceive anyone I just think they have been clever with their phrasing.
For me there is a huge difference in saying we are spending up to the cap and actually being at or even close to the cap limit.
Hall of Famer

12 Oct 2021 16:49 pm:

Let’s not forget the cap has vastly reduced, some clubs took advantage of some loops holes to tie in players long term in agreed ways that don’t fully count them until contract renewal.

It is wholly possible we are at the cap with a depleted squad while other clubs are considered at the cap with a vastly more expensive squad.

12 Oct 2021 17:07 pm:

Simmo468 wrote:
It is wholly possible we are at the cap with a depleted squad while other clubs are considered at the cap with a vastly more expensive squad.

Thanks for clearing that one up :D :D :D :D
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

12 Oct 2021 18:51 pm:

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:
Simmo468 wrote:

Thanks for clearing that one up :D :D :D :D

I know it sound stupid but there were dispensations in the agreement to reduce the cap that would allow us to sit bang on the £5m + credits while teams such a Bristol or Sale can still be spending £6-7m + Credits.

We made cuts to wages and letting players leave before the decision to reduce the cap was made. Other clubs were able to hold off and are now benefiting from the allowances in the agreement.

Also we are rumoured to have offloaded our Marquee players, we can now only sign one if we chose to do so. Clubs with the cash to extend their Marquees deals can retain both until contract renewal.
Dude

12 Oct 2021 18:55 pm:

Simmo it doesn’t sound stupid at all; you make a very valid point which, IMO deserves respect. All is not equal at the moment.
On the board

12 Oct 2021 19:50 pm:

Does it matter what anyone here 'speculates' about words like 'lies'etc are simply unfair & stupid being based uon nothing other than guesswork.
It makes very good business to get someone else to pay for a player you aren't going to play so we should be congratrulating LB & co for good management in this case.
Sadly some people just want to find a fault all the time, are these 'proper' supporters I wonder if they are as negative in real life just strikes me as a bit sad.
Hall of Famer

13 Oct 2021 18:59 pm:

spanish exile wrote:Does it matter what anyone here 'speculates' about words like 'lies'etc are simply unfair & stupid being based uon nothing other than guesswork.
It makes very good business to get someone else to pay for a player you aren't going to play so we should be congratrulating LB & co for good management in this case.
Sadly some people just want to find a fault all the time, are these 'proper' supporters I wonder if they are as negative in real life just strikes me as a bit sad.

Excellent post .

As for spending money let's spend what we can afford not just spend what is allowed. The approach at Glaws is brave right now and spending up to the new cap will ( IMO ) prepare us better in some ways. If other clubs spend up to the old one with allowances then so be it. It doesn't guarantee success.....where are Bath atm ? Let's focus on what we are are doing and not on what others are spending.
Hall of Famer

13 Oct 2021 19:02 pm:

I must confess to not having seen one second of a match Bath have been involved in this season. Is Cipriani actually playing for them right now ?. I am serious...I would not have a clue. :lol:
Hall of Famer

13 Oct 2021 19:07 pm:

I don’t think he’s played since R1
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby