Simpson joining Sarries

Hall of Famer

Re: Simpson joining Sarries

12 Oct 2021 11:10 am:

Simmo468 wrote:If he is loaned and/or duel registered during the season and plays less than 10 games for us im pretty sure his salary is only included in the cap on a per game basis. Could be a clever bit of business by the club if we need to have him back at some point.

That only really matters if you are close to the cap.I would guess we’re a fair bit under so this would be more about the club not having to pick up his salary.
Hall of Famer

12 Oct 2021 11:15 am:

LB has repeatedly maintained that GRFC are paying up to the new cap.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

12 Oct 2021 11:35 am:

Gloucester Mute wrote:LB has repeatedly maintained that GRFC are paying up to the new cap.

I know he has and I don’t believe a word of it!
Vice-Captain

12 Oct 2021 11:37 am:

Gloucester Mute wrote:LB has repeatedly maintained that GRFC are paying up to the new cap.

Unfortunately that's a statement that leaves a lot of wriggleroom.

For instance, does the figure that 'meets the cap' exclude the salaries of marquee players / discounts from EQP / Homegrown etc? It could be that the comment has been contextualised to stifle discontent from the GRFC fans.

I'm not looking for a conspiracy where there isn't one as I don't know exactly what was said by Mr Bradley, however context means everything...
Hall of Famer

12 Oct 2021 12:24 pm:

Forrester wrote:

Even if it that is a lie, still makes sense to offload wages to Sarries/Bath and get them off our cap in case we have an emergency later on in a different position.

*Not to mention even if ignoring the cap completely it still saves money...
Hall of Famer

12 Oct 2021 12:58 pm:

jeppy89 wrote:
Even if it that is a lie, still makes sense to offload wages to Sarries/Bath and get them off our cap in case we have an emergency later on in a different position.

*Not to mention even if ignoring the cap completely it still saves money...

I totally agree, and it’s good business. I just don’t think it has anything to do with the salary cap.
Hall of Famer

12 Oct 2021 13:12 pm:

Forrester wrote:

So why the lie?
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

12 Oct 2021 13:41 pm:

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:
Forrester wrote:I know he has and I don’t believe a word of it!

So why the lie?

As was pointed out above, saying we are paying up to the cap can mean many things. I would doubt very much that we are maxed out on we could legitimately spend if we had the funds available.

12 Oct 2021 13:55 pm:

Without knowing for sure, ie: seeing the books as it were, some are prepared to say the Club has lied, quite amazing really.

What is certain is that there are many variations in the cap policy, covering academy players, dual registrations, long term injured, exclusion of marquee players and so on.

Now, if one has access to the books, can understand the policy and distil it into the real world environment at Glos then crack on with your assumptions, until then might be best from calling the Club's management liars.
Site Admin

12 Oct 2021 14:22 pm:

Kill me.

The phrase paying 'up to the cap' just means they are paying an amount of money (varies across the season) that is equal to or less than the cap for 21/22.. It could be any amount up to and including the cap value, when all the ins and out are known and factored in.

Broadly speaking, I understand it to mean that they are committed to observing the rules, and reserving the right not to disclose.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby