Jake Polledri - Just Pressed Cider

Academy prospect

Jake Polledri - Just Pressed Cider

22 Sep 2021 18:30 pm:

Just been into Deans Walk Inn tonight to support Jake Polledri's new(ish) business - Just Pressed Cider.
Had a pint of Blindside which is a medium sweet taste and can say it was very good!

Also was lucky enough to get his signature and have a chat with him about cider/rugby. He said he's looking forward to the season kicking off again with fans and his rehab is on track, so fingers crossed we'll see him on the pitch soon.

He's teamed up with Deans Walk to sell his cider, hoping that fans can support his local business and one of Gloucester's top rugby pubs on matchdays.

Re: Jake Polledri - Just Pressed Cider

22 Sep 2021 18:34 pm:

More of a Boomfa bloke myself....but good to see the Dean's supporting him.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

22 Sep 2021 19:58 pm:

The Club tie-up with Stowford Press must be a bit of a pain in his derriere!
Site Admin

22 Sep 2021 22:20 pm:

If he played for free, but Just Pressed took the place of westons, that could work!

(Not that I have anything against westons, btw)
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

22 Sep 2021 22:29 pm:

glawfindel,

Stowford Press is produced by Westons, which in 2016 was the third largest draught cider brand in the UK on-trade, worth £76.5m. Westons make a broad range of ciders for the premium cider sector with its other key brand groups including Wyld Wood, Henry Westons, Old Rosie, Mortimer’s Orchard and Caple Red Cider. They produce about 40M litres of cider a year from locally produced apples. They are one of (if not the largest) producer of fresh juice fermented cider in the world (Bulmers are the largest producer of 'cider' but this is mostly from concentrate).

Whilst it would be nice for Jake (and his dad) to show case their cider at Kingsholm, I doubt they (and the other 4-500+ cider makers in the UK) are in such a position to do so.

The cider and perry market in the UK in 2019 was worth over £3.1billion (3 times the size of the UK fishing industry - beer was worth £14.1 billion) and dominated by Bulmers and another 4-5 producers are at the macro end of production. The 'small' producers (each less than 70h litres per year for tax purposes) account for about 0.38% of all cider sold in the UK in 2019. That accounts for about 1.57M litres (the average volume of Strongbow Original sold everyday in 2019). The market share comprises Perry (5%), Fruit ciders (35%) and Cider (60%).

All figures taken from the recently published book "Modern British Cider" by Gabe Cook.
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
Hall of Famer

23 Sep 2021 15:28 pm:

GD - I do realise it would be a bit of a stretch for JP to displace them, it was meant tongue-in-cheek. ;)

23 Sep 2021 15:58 pm:

Didn't the Club have a craft beer stand? If do, It could be sold there.
aka John Neary
Senior squad member

23 Sep 2021 16:03 pm:

I’ll be trying a few tomorrow before the game
Hall of Famer

23 Sep 2021 16:32 pm:

Is Just Pressed cider actually made by the Polledri family, or is it just a branded cider ? The webiste doesn't give too many details ?
Site Admin

23 Sep 2021 17:10 pm:

Can’t imagine westons allowing another brew on their turf..

Interestingly, I saw that Justin Marshall’s favourite phrases (incl. boomfa) have been trademarked in NZ.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/11196141 ... rademarked
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby