Jake Polledri - Just Pressed Cider

Vice-Captain

Re: Jake Polledri - Just Pressed Cider

23 Sep 2021 18:03 pm:

Have tried Jakes's cider whilst scoffing pizza in Hooker & Eight. A splendid combo.
Saying that a cold Stowfords Press on a summer evening takes some beating.
Hall of Famer

23 Sep 2021 20:46 pm:

stuartjames wrote:Is Just Pressed cider actually made by the Polledri family, or is it just a branded cider ? The webiste doesn't give too many details ?

Brewed by Taunton Brewery for JP in the 4 named brands. A special brew......
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

24 Sep 2021 08:48 am:

Sorry, Mute but it's the 'new' Taunton Cider Company and their not a brewery.

The old company started as a cooperative in 1805 and became The Taunton Cider Company Ltf in 1912. Over time expansion led to buy in from various brewing giants like Bass, Courage, Arthur Guinness & Co and Watney decided to take shareholdings and help to fund the necessary growth. In 1972, following very careful market research, the Company launched Dry Blackthorn, and produced its first TV commercial that featured Taunton Cider, Dry Blackthorn, and an important existing brand, Autumn Gold.

The 1990s saw a management buyout which led to the public floatation of The Taunton Cider company in July 1992. In 1994 it was taken over by Matthew Clark plc, who was itself taken over by Constellation, an American company and the business at Shepton Mallett was subsequently sold to Cantrell & Cochrane (C&C).

The Taunton Cider Company effectively disappeared until it was re-registered in 2015 by a group of cider enthusiasts and the first bottles of the re-born company rolled off the cider press in November 2016.

Taken from their website.
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
Hall of Famer

24 Sep 2021 09:27 am:

[quote="GlawsyD"]Sorry, Mute but it's the 'new' Taunton Cider Company and their not a brewery.
As our 'apple' man, Dave, perhaps you can throw light on this. Chatting with mates we wondered what you call a cider maker in job terms (the equivalent of baker, butcher etc). We didn't arrive at a satisfactory answer so when we went to a CAMRA festival we asked there and they said brewer. If that's the case then isn't the place of its manufacture a brewery?

24 Sep 2021 09:29 am:

aka John Neary

24 Sep 2021 09:30 am:

A cider maker manages the cider making process from sourcing raw materials through to ensuring the bottled product is safely dispatched from the cider house. A cider maker must understand all aspects of cider production including the pressing of fruit, fermentation process, testing of cider, bottling and sanitation.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

24 Sep 2021 09:31 am:

Thanks for clarification GlawsyD.

Mine was an attempt to explain that it wasn't simply a Polledri family home-brew !! ;)
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

24 Sep 2021 09:41 am:

Richard,

That's one of the 'problems' with cider that it falls between the two stools of beer and wine making - cider is made like wine, presented like beer - it is entirely unique. It does not have the developed lexicon of beer and wine, although these too are still changing in their own right (think of the recent 'craft' development).

For commercial producers I would favour 'cider mill' or a cidery'. But then there is the small farmhouse style producer which might mean 'Cider Farm'.

Cheers.

Thanks DT for your link. Don't forget 'blending'.
Hall of Famer

24 Sep 2021 10:06 am:

Mute, that's ok, I realised that.
Vice-Captain

24 Sep 2021 10:20 am:

Think I'll stick with ale - not sure I'm comfortable with a lexicon-less beverage.
Rugby, music, beer inanities @adamashby
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby