Gloucester v Leicester OGT

Hall of Famer

Re: Gloucester v Leicester OGT

25 Sep 2021 08:49 am:

The real positive for me was how competitive the forwards were, especially considering who we were missing. Yes we messed up a few crucial lineouts but on the whole I thought that they all stood up well. The backs however were another story. I was not at all impressed with Meehan at 9 who was slow in thought and deed and his kicking was quite poor and I wondered why Varney wasn't introduced earlier (although I wasn't "incensed" :roll: ). I am still genuinely surprised at the flak Lloyd is getting. Yes he made mistakes and missed tackles but who didn't? However most of our creative moves came from him and his switching of play at times caused Leicester real problems. I understand people wanting to see Hastings start but we will need Lloyd a lot this season.
Atkinson, try aside, looked like a player who needed game time and Billy T was his usual self but his lack of pace at 13 does us no favours. Along with Seabrook on one wing it allowed Leicester to defend very narrowly. Thorley was still trying too hard to make things happen as he was for much of last season but came off his wing on some nice lines. However we will clearly have more threat with May and LRZ. Moyle is a good squad player who gives his all but I hope Woodward can get fit soon.
As for Leicester the las Stewart can obviously catch, especially when we kick too long and he has 4 blockers in front, but there needs to be more to his game than that and we didn't see much last night. Not sure he is the messiah yet.
Ken Smith (once upon a time Mr Realistic)
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 09:11 am:

He didn't join the squad until later so presumably needed to get his fitness up.
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 09:22 am:

From tigers POV obviously happy enough, first away game with a real crowd for a few of our lads
Martin, Steward, JVP, Kelly all haven't played in front of a full premiership away day.
We did make a lot of mistakes especially with restarts and exiting.

Personally I thought Gloucester showed a lot of heart IMO sort of reminded me of Tigers early last year, never went out of the game despite the lapses in concentration and being prone to some "dumb" penalties (Something we still do). Ackerman and Morgan put in huge shifts if Polledri can come back to a run of fitness that could be a extremely dangerous back row (Although would Ludlow be dropped?)
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 09:31 am:

I remain unconvinced, you can have all the heart and character in the world but unless you have a cohesive performance week in week out then you will fail. The league table won't reflect heart and spirit, it doesn't win matches

Last season we had the line 'we are still developing', are we still in a development stage after a season and half? Keeping in mind this set of coaches and players have had since rugby restart to gel. We keep seeing small glimpses but nothing consistent

I'm a very half empty Gloucester supporter right now, and feel consigned to the reality that the championship beckons
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 09:39 am:

No welly, ludlow wouldnt be dropped. First name on the team sheet. I dont expect polledri to play this season anyway. But reid will come back in for morgan when fit.
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 09:43 am:

The Vic wrote:I remain unconvinced, you can have all the heart and character in the world but unless you have a cohesive performance week in week out then you will fail. The league table won't reflect heart and spirit, it doesn't win matches

Last season we had the line 'we are still developing', are we still in a development stage after a season and half? Keeping in mind this set of coaches and players have had since rugby restart to gel. We keep seeing small glimpses but nothing consistent

I'm a very half empty Gloucester supporter right now, and feel consigned to the reality that the championship beckons

Good news then as relegation has been suspended for the next few seasons at least.
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 09:45 am:

Tim in Shropshire wrote:Just back as well. My thoughts:............

We constantly kicked to Steward who constantly caught it. No-one seemed to work out that this wasn't such a great idea.

Just picking up one point from your post, Tim - the kicking especially from the "caterpillar" set up takes too long and it was noticeable that as the "caterpillar" was being set up three Leicester players retreated to take up well positioned defensive positions which meant that any kick would inevitably covered. Would it not be better for the scrum half to forgo the "caterpillar" and pass the ball to a deeper lying kicker before the opposition defence reset?
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 09:53 am:

Watched the game back this morning and reflects my view last night. Just too many errors stalling momentum, be it pens conceded, poor passes, knock ons etc. We played some nice stuff and had absolutely no issue getting in to the red zone. Just a lack of patience and composure in the 22 let us down. And tackling of course! In open play, the defence largely contained Leicester, it was off our errors they made most progress when we had to transition from attack to defence quickly, usually giving it to Nadolo who would be very very hard to stop in a scramble defence situation. I think the pack deserve a lot of credit for fronting up in the scrum, many predicted a torrid evening but they largely held their own, a few lineout cock ups aside which was so frustrating! When they worked, our maul looked really really threatening and that was a joy to watch! Only gripe from the officials was I thought they were too lenient to Leicester when defending mauls. All they wanted to do was sack it, I'm not sure if the last play maul was brought down legally but that's the way it goes sometimes. They let the game flow and was a good spectacle. A bit annoyed that we could have got more from the game with a bit of tightening up but thought there was plenty of Gloucester dog on show. Worcester next week will be very interesting and a real yardstick on where we are. I also want to see more of Freddie Clarke, made a real impact when he came on and is definitely another lock option
Last edited by Ben Carter on 25 Sep 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 10:03 am:

25 Sep 2021 10:29 am:

It was a good game and we had a decent enough team out all things considered.
The telling difference was the number of fumbles from us at key times. Composure and a good Tigs defence.
We did however concede 17 missed tackles to their 9 despite doing less defending. Mostly in the backs.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby