Gloucester v Leicester OGT

Dude

Re: Gloucester v Leicester OGT

28 Sep 2021 11:29 am:

With all the doom and gloom after just two matches surely another consideration is how good are Tigers and Saints? This early in the season we realistically don’t really know, but considering they have each beaten Exeter in their other game suggests either Exeter are rubbish or neither of those two are half bad!

While any home loss is disappointing there is a context which some seem to easily forget. I for one am a little baffled how predicting a bottom 2-3 finish based on squad strength, coaching experience etc yet at the same time seeming to expect us to win all our home games is logical. :?
Hall of Famer

28 Sep 2021 12:24 pm:

Lebowski wrote:With all the doom and gloom after just two matches surely another consideration is how good are Tigers and Saints? This early in the season we realistically don’t really know, but considering they have each beaten Exeter in their other game suggests either Exeter are rubbish or neither of those two are half bad!

While any home loss is disappointing there is a context which some seem to easily forget. I for one am a little baffled how predicting a bottom 2-3 finish based on squad strength, coaching experience etc yet at the same time seeming to expect us to win all our home games is logical. :?

Agreed Andy. I think both of those sides are top 6. I just don't think we're at their level.

In the poll, 79% predicted we'd finish between 7th and 13th.

As you say, the collective expectation (on that basis) is that we're likely to pick-up between 2 and 7 wins this season (based on previous Prem tables). Where are they coming from? You'd hope that we'll be competitive vs. Wuss, Irish and Newks at home, plus maybe away against those sides. B**f at home is another which could be considered winnable, given the rivalry and emotion of the occasion. I think it's probable that we'd be underdogs in the other matches.

It's not great (because I know we all want to be competing at the top of the GP), but it's realistic. So to come away from rounds 1 and 2 with a few bonus points is a decent return in my eyes. This weekend represents the best opportunity for us to see where the team really is. I think we can go there and win, if we tighten up our D and get the set-piece right.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Hall of Famer

28 Sep 2021 12:32 pm:

Camel wrote:
lucifer wrote:Let's face it, if we were two wins from two - and in both games so far we could have been just that, no one would be bothered about the off field problems.

Not sure how we were ever in with a chance of winning either game. We were close to drawing against Tiggers and miles off winning at Saints.

Well I was at Northampton and when Saints were reduced to 14 with 10 mins to go we were within 7 and if we had taken advantage we could/should have won. The stats showed we had more than a good chance of beating Leicester and we should have drawn.
I'm not saying the off-field stuff isn't important (the ticketing and PA are both crap) but it's all context, extraneous to what we all want which is a winning side. I would willingly put up with people not answering phones and a deafening PA if we'd won both games.
Hall of Famer

28 Sep 2021 12:43 pm:

Anything wrong with trying to get both the on-field and off-field sorted ??

At the same time rather than exclusively one or other. Other Premiership clubs seem to manage to....
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

28 Sep 2021 13:22 pm:

lol Asgard...I'm not unhappy with the progress that I perceive as being made by the players and coaches - hence the lack of negative posts about them. I'm firmly keeping the faith!
Cherchez la truffe
Hall of Famer

28 Sep 2021 13:40 pm:

I feel that at the present time the club is a pint that has been a quart, and obviously would like to become one again. Some of you will recognise the never-to-be-forgotten never-to-be-missed beverage to which I refer.
On a different note, I am a Manchester United supporter, but, despite their record of recent times being considerably superior to Gloucester’s, I am far less downhearted being a supporter of the latter. I recognise the restraints within which the club has to operate, and is managing, sometimes only just, to keep its head above water. As I rarely attend games nowadays I can’t really comment on the “supporter experience”. United, on the other hand, is a wealthy club that has squandered resources on unsuitable players.
Hall of Famer

28 Sep 2021 13:48 pm:

Asgard wrote:Just picking up one point from your post, Tim - the kicking especially from the "caterpillar" set up takes too long and it was noticeable that as the "caterpillar" was being set up three Leicester players retreated to take up well positioned defensive positions which meant that any kick would inevitably covered. Would it not be better for the scrum half to forgo the "caterpillar" and pass the ball to a deeper lying kicker before the opposition defence reset?

Would it not be better for the scrum half to forgo the "caterpillar" and pass the ball to a deeper lying kicker before the opposition defence reset?

No.

If you are kicking off the pitch then 1) it doesn't matter who is in their backfield and how well set they are, 2) if you pass it back 10m to a kicker then the kick needs to be 10m better just to get the same lineout position.

If you are keeping the ball in play then you've just moved the offside line 10m behind the forwards/would be chasers.
Hall of Famer

28 Sep 2021 15:46 pm:

colinboag wrote:lol Asgard...I'm not unhappy with the progress that I perceive as being made by the players and coaches - hence the lack of negative posts about them. I'm firmly keeping the faith!

I'm very pleased for you but it would be a very boring site if everybody shared the same opinion. I'm sure your column in the Rugby Paper would be under threat if you wrote only "nice" uncontroversial pieces every week in line with your favoured adage. The best measure of progress surely is results and not through rose tinted spectacles?
Hall of Famer

28 Sep 2021 17:07 pm:

I like to think that sometimes people might see signs of progress ahead of results
Cherchez la truffe
Hero in the making

28 Sep 2021 17:16 pm:

colinboag wrote:I like to think that sometimes people might see signs of progress ahead of results

Eg attacking line out maul is significantly improved as has the line out D. Scrum looks stable and strong. Leicester made Ex look weak the week before

The work on the internal culture is paying dividends in that I don’t feel like we are ever going to throw the towel in.

Colin- what chance you doing another one of your interviews with Carl Hogg I would love to hear about any outputs or tangible changes to the academy and the plans he has
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby