Gloucester v Leicester OGT

Hall of Famer

Re: Gloucester v Leicester OGT

28 Sep 2021 18:09 pm:

Sadly Colin, there are no points awarded for technical merit or artistic impression. Old Rik Yes, only ne try was conceded on Friday night to their line-out drive but unfortunately nothing much was achieved o our line-out.
Attack looked better but there was little improvement to defence. Played two lost two.
Hero in the making

28 Sep 2021 18:39 pm:

In the Stowford I thought the PA system was a revelation. I’d complained (here, not to the club) after the Ealing match and last Friday it was SO much better. It was as if a sound engineer had carefully tweaked the system so that (1) I could hold a conversation with those around me without anyone having to raise their voice; and (2) I was still able to hear the music and proclamations over the speaker.

The failure in the cashless systems however…!!

I would be (slightly) more on Mute’s side if I felt that the club wasn’t trying to make improvements, albeit they’re not as quick or as sizeable as many would like and possibly are being achieved elsewhere (although I don’t know because I’ve not visited any other rugby stadium since the semi-final defeat at Saracens).

I think we are cutting our cloth accordingly and would rather that than a “go for broke” leap which could have disastrous consequences. We are further behind some clubs in this journey - Leicester being an obvious example - but hopefully good things come…

I loved Friday’s game and experience - even with some off-field issues and the result. Bring on Sale and more of the same (but only the really good bits) :D
my real name is Nigel Williams, in my 50s, behind the posts in the Stowford
Hall of Famer

28 Sep 2021 19:27 pm:

Asgard wrote:Sadly Colin, there are no points awarded for technical merit or artistic impression. Old Rik Yes, only ne try was conceded on Friday night to their line-out drive but unfortunately nothing much was achieved o our line-out.
Attack looked better but there was little improvement to defence. Played two lost two.

I’ll probably get slated for being critical again (aware I am frequently at the moment, but can’t help it).

I actually thought our attack looked pretty directionless and didn’t appear to have a clear pattern I could see. A view shared by many that I have spoken to about Gloucester.

I’m also slightly reluctant to say with confidence, that our 5m attacking lineout is there yet. Certainly improved but not there. Again this comes down to a lack of execution, as twice we turned a red zone entry into a concession of 90+ metres. This resulted in a yellow card and a try on Friday.

The defence is what it is. Very, very poor. Typified by Evans’ awful missed tackle on Potter that led to a try, though granted that isn’t the system - just a terrible individual error.

Despite all this we still manage to hang in there and have done against two good teams. Get some bodies back and a W, however which way it comes and I might even praise us….

MIGHT ;)
First team regular

28 Sep 2021 19:52 pm:

plod wrote:I feel that at the present time the club is a pint that has been a quart, and obviously would like to become one again. Some of you will recognise the never-to-be-forgotten never-to-be-missed beverage to which I refer.
On a different note, I am a Manchester United supporter, but, despite their record of recent times being considerably superior to Gloucester’s, I am far less downhearted being a supporter of the latter. I recognise the restraints within which the club has to operate, and is managing, sometimes only just, to keep its head above water. As I rarely attend games nowadays I can’t really comment on the “supporter experience”. United, on the other hand, is a wealthy club that has squandered resources on unsuitable players.

Have we used our resources wisely? We have May on a huge contract competing for a place on the wing with LRZ, Thorley, Carreras, Sharples, Seabrook, Morris and Alex Morgan. Meanwhile Ben Morgan starts at lock on day one of the season.
Senior squad member

28 Sep 2021 21:28 pm:

My woes stem from one thought: how hard did Leicester have to work for their bonus point victory? My conclusion is that most teams will see Glos as a bonus-point opportunity home and away.
I have never felt this negative about us before. Our expectations have changed.
Hall of Famer

28 Sep 2021 22:11 pm:

We were missing eight international players:
May
Ruskin
Socino
Carreras
Alemanno
Harris
LRZ
Polledri
Now if we had been at full strength I understand your gripe, but we will get better.
They don’t like it up ‘em.
Senior squad member

28 Sep 2021 22:57 pm:

madders wrote:We were missing eight international players:
May
Ruskin
Socino
Carreras
Alemanno
Harris
LRZ
Polledri
Now if we had been at full strength I understand your gripe, but we will get better.

Agreed, Madders, but it's my personal gut feel, everyone has their own valid opinion.
I had the feeling Leicester were expecting an easy win, and were at little surprised we came back into the game. Teams shouldn't come to Kingsholm expecting to cruise to 5 points. I think Leicester did think it and did achieve it. Two points at home is not a result we should celebrate. Teams will come to KH with confidence not fear. A pattern has been set. The returning players will bring their skills. But they won't change the process.
Hall of Famer

29 Sep 2021 07:36 am:

Big Red wrote:
Asgard wrote:Sadly Colin, there are no points awarded for technical merit or artistic impression. Old Rik Yes, only ne try was conceded on Friday night to their line-out drive but unfortunately nothing much was achieved o our line-out.

I’ll probably get slated for being critical again (aware I am frequently at the moment, but can’t help it).

I actually thought our attack looked pretty directionless and didn’t appear to have a clear pattern I could see. A view shared by many that I have spoken to about Gloucester.

I’m also slightly reluctant to say with confidence, that our 5m attacking lineout is there yet. Certainly improved but not there. Again this comes down to a lack of execution, as twice we turned a red zone entry into a concession of 90+ metres. This resulted in a yellow card and a try on Friday.

The defence is what it is. Very, very poor. Typified by Evans’ awful missed tackle on Potter that led to a try, though granted that isn’t the system - just a terrible individual error.

Despite all this we still manage to hang in there and have done against two good teams. Get some bodies back and a W, however which way it comes and I might even praise us….

MIGHT ;)

We arent the only teams that have conceded a lot of points, is it poor defence or better attacks, maybe players have learnt how to avoid being tackled one on one, easy to sit on the side lines and criticise, as for attack several have said they cant see a pattern, surely that's a good thing if we are able to see a pattern then dont you think professional coaches can far easier and defend it easily, some complain no pattern and probably would then complain we are predictable if they could see a pattern.
Hall of Famer

29 Sep 2021 08:02 am:

Also perhaps the new laws are having an impact? BT highlighted how deep Moyle had to be in defence to mitigate the 50:22 rule. Lots of nice open space to exploit. Between him and the rest of the defensive line
Hall of Famer

29 Sep 2021 08:12 am:

madders wrote:We were missing eight international players:
May
Ruskin
Socino
Carreras
Alemanno
Harris
LRZ
Polledri

Seven, surely Ruskin isn't an international :?
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby