Gloucester v Leicester OGT

Hall of Famer

Re: Gloucester v Leicester OGT

24 Sep 2021 22:53 pm:

"There were some good performances, Ackermann especially considering he was still in a boot not that long ago.
Our no 10 had a shocker though, The missed tackle on Potter was right in front of me and just shouldn’t happen at this level."
So the fact that Ackermann missed the first tackle on Potter seems to have escaped you? Yes he had a good game but don't let the facts get in the way of slagging off a player you seem to have an agenda against!
Ken Smith (once upon a time Mr Realistic)

24 Sep 2021 22:54 pm:

19008 at Bristol last week and 11680 at Kingsholm this week looks bad, total wise, but 19008 = 70.4% of AG's capacity & 11680 = 73.5% of Kingsholm's capacity.[/quote]

Not really relevant, AG was built for the football team not the rugby but Bristol is a significantly bigger city.

I was surprised the attendance was so low but it’s a Friday, we haven’t really made any notable signings like in the past and expectations are pretty low.[/quote]

Bristol City Average is 16441 over the first two home Games this Season. I cant find any info on Rovers.
aka John Neary
Turns out for the A team

24 Sep 2021 23:00 pm:

Great to be back at Kingsholm, it’s been too long. Ben Morgan & Ackerman were class. Our defence/tackling needs work, their scores were just too easy…
(No ring of steel ? How many missed tackles ?). Take the 2pts thanks to Ford having an off game….
It’s the Hope that kills you…
C’Mon Glaws…
First team regular

24 Sep 2021 23:01 pm:

The treatment of Hastings is worrying. It's as if the coaches believe that the Done Thing is to give players more time in the squad environment before starting them. But we have no other Premiership-quality 10. While we leave him on the bench we continue to lose and by the time he's a starter we'll be bottom of the league with our confidence on the floor.

I think the lack of relegation is quite bad for us. There seems to be a culture of not needing to win in there here-and-now because we can do that 'further along the journey'. No. The squad is good enough for mid-table, and we should put some pressure on ourselves to achieve that this year, not in some future that will never come to pass.
Hall of Famer

24 Sep 2021 23:01 pm:

Also just back. I fundamentally disagree with anyone saying that teams will look forward to coming to CG this season. Tigers made mistakes that I wasn't expecting them to make after their demolition of Exeter last week. We gave them a decent game and with some composure and discipline would have taken them to the wire. A team many are tipping for top 4. I hope the coaches can use this as motivation, the players won't want to see the Potter try in the debrief on Monday as it was pretty embarrassing and it spurs them on for next week.
Another thing, for a lot of Gloucester players, that was their first experience of a decent Kingsholm atmosphere. They will have been feeling a different weight of expectation from the stands that they haven't felt before. I hope the nerves are out of their system now, and the error count comes down. Certainly needs work. As ever with Glos, there are too many if only moments! Cracking crowd tonight, the stadium has taken a lot of flack in the off season but the shed was absolutely rocking! Hopefully the players cling to that and stand up and be counted next week. Will watch the game back tomorrow and see if my view changes
Hall of Famer

24 Sep 2021 23:09 pm:

Still Realistic wrote:"There were some good performances, Ackermann especially considering he was still in a boot not that long ago.
Our no 10 had a shocker though, The missed tackle on Potter was right in front of me and just shouldn’t happen at this level."
So the fact that Ackermann missed the first tackle on Potter seems to have escaped you? Yes he had a good game but don't let the facts get in the way of slagging off a player you seem to have an agenda against!

What an odd post.
I’ve no agenda against Evans at all, he was very poor tonight and judging by the amount of people calling for Hastings to start, plenty of others agree with me.
As for Ackermann missing the first tackle, I genuinely didn’t see it, there were a mass of bodies between where I was sat and where Potter caught the ball. If he did miss it then he needs to do better but other than that he was outstanding.
Hall of Famer

24 Sep 2021 23:19 pm:

Richy wrote:The treatment of Hastings is worrying. It's as if the coaches believe that the Done Thing is to give players more time in the squad environment before starting them. But we have no other Premiership-quality 10. While we leave him on the bench we continue to lose and by the time he's a starter we'll be bottom of the league with our confidence on the floor.

I think the lack of relegation is quite bad for us. There seems to be a culture of not needing to win in there here-and-now because we can do that 'further along the journey'. No. The squad is good enough for mid-table, and we should put some pressure on ourselves to achieve that this year, not in some future that will never come to pass.

The treatment of Hastings is worrying? We're two games in. Calm down.
Keyser Sose
On the board

24 Sep 2021 23:30 pm:

Well, we managed two league points against the team that sent Exeter home with nowt last week.

I reckon we'll be a bit of a handful when we put our 1st XV on the pitch.

However we do need more accuracy, a bit more directed aggression and also to learn to counteract the shenanigans of those teams who are more streetwise/cynical.

After all that has happened over the last couple of years, if it had been me walking out for the first time, in front of a reduced but red-blooded Glaws crowd, my sphincter would have been twitching faster than a nervous rabbit's nose. It'll take a while before that sort of emotional experience will be a positive force, rather than a cause of inhibition for some of our newer players.

Finally I hope that, as in the past, Glaws players are warned to stay well away from the Premiership's "best" supporters' fans forum.

Forgot to say, we won't be there tomorrow but for tonight, we sit in 7th place. I wonder where we'll be come Sunday evening. I bet it's not bottom. (>crossedfingersemoji<)
Last edited by Russglos on 24 Sep 2021 23:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the board

24 Sep 2021 23:31 pm:

Having just watched the game back I think I did the team a bit of a disservice in my comments. The pack stood up very well, scrum was solid and driving maul looked a weapon again which is good. Defence still needs work and not a great night for LE but we did look dangerous at times ball in hand.

Even though the attendance was relatively low, the shed was indeed rocking tonight and was great to see!
Hero in the making

24 Sep 2021 23:58 pm:

Just back as well. My thoughts:
Pros:
Ground was really rocking - there's no way they could have got another 5,000 or so in there so someone's telling porkies. I was on the Tump, but the Shed sounded in great voice.
Took less than a minute for the first "You don't know what you're doing" which I found strangely reassuring.
Ben looks leaner and really up for it. We have plenty of back-row options.
Lewis Ludlow.
When the teams ran out my wife (who very rarely comes to games) asked me what I thought the result would be. I suggested Leicester by 10 so we did better than that.
Foley was fine.
The team showed proper dawg to come back to earn that extra point - disappointing that we couldn't turn it into a draw at the death, which brings me onto:
Negatives:
We lack composure when we get into 'the Red Zone' - too much is hurried. Still get the feeling that our greatest weakness is the top two inches.
I may be wrong but I don't think we jackalled more than one ball from a ruck tonight. We miss VRR and Jordy Reid
Please can we kick a few penalties when they are available. Keeps the scoreboard ticking over. We simply don't convert enough short-range line-outs.
We missed too many first-up tackles.
We constantly kicked to Steward who constantly caught it. No-one seemed to work out that this wasn't such a great idea.
Some of our basic skills are just not good enough at this level - as we left the ground my wife (sorry to bring her up again, but she brings a different view to my rather myopic one) asked: "Are they spending too much time lifting weights and building muscle rather than making sure they master the skills?" I have to agree to an extent - rugby is after all a simple game.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby