Mugged by the referee

Hall of Famer

Re: Mugged by the referee

25 Sep 2021 08:55 am:

Leicester did exactly the same to Exeter last week probably in the knowledge that referees are soft on this.
They don’t like it up ‘em.
Senior squad member

25 Sep 2021 09:20 am:

I thought the Ref got it wrong at least once, but the Rugby Gods sorted it out with GF prep the kick and the ball falling of the Tee, Davidson was on the wrong side for a split second ,getting out of the way, RA was on the ball but was told he was not allowed while a player on the wrong side, surely not worth a penalty kick, poss 3 points. The Gods agreed :D

25 Sep 2021 09:55 am:

Seems to run both ways...

From the Tigers fans forum
We were ahead nearly the entire match, missed a dozen or so points and apparently Foley isn't pinging people for holding on on the floor as there were so many times we were over the ball in those final phases but he let Glos play on.. had they gone on to level the match I would have been fuming! Foley was reasonable, by his standards pretty good but he seemed to allow Glos so much time at the breakdown when previous referees have been really quick to blow the whistle.

Who'd be a referee....
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 10:00 am:

Comes down to momentum, we had it so perhaps got the benefit of the doubt on that occasion. I'd argue too, were they lifting the ball, that is what they're looking for and I don't think Leicester were?

25 Sep 2021 10:07 am:

The ref doesn't mess up lineouts 5 metres our, nor miss tackles, nor give away dumb penalties.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 11:45 am:

I saw Foley in the car park after the game when I was going to get my car and I thanked him for a great performance in broadly letting the game flow. We lost because of our errors, not those by the officials.
The artist formerly known as Porky
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 12:22 pm:

+1
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 12:23 pm:

Did you give his guide dog a pat on the head? :lol:
They don’t like it up ‘em.

25 Sep 2021 13:00 pm:

The Ref was fine and he's more up to date with the Laws of the game and what the Ref's guidance is than many that have commented on this thread.

But, before anyone blames the Ref (which is the easy thing to do) perhaps we should have a look at the mistakes and poor decisions. The Ref didn't knock the ball on like Evans or Clement, or get a lineout wrong, or pass to no-one in particular, or miss a tackle.

Far more for Glos to focus on than the Ref.
Hero in the making

25 Sep 2021 13:10 pm:

I never understand the constant “the ref dun us out of that game” I appreciate it’s a lot easier to swallow than admitting the insufficiencies of our own team. You suck it up and learn. Learn how to work with them rather than against them. They probably don’t listen to the “you don’t know what your doing” . Most knowledgeable fans? Give me a break!
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby