Defence

Vice-Captain

Defence

24 Sep 2021 21:12 pm:

I'm not usually one for knee jerk posts, however..

Since the beginning of last season we've played 28 matches. In that time we've conceded a match average of 29 points. How on earth do we move forward with that stat in our pocket? It's just not acceptable and if our regime are brutally honest with themselves they'll be asking if that can continue. If it does then no question we'll finish bottom in my opinion.

We've allowed it to become the norm that we concede 25-35 points every week which in itself is alarming. Tough decisions required before too long at this rate.
Vice-Captain

Re: Defence

24 Sep 2021 21:21 pm:

It just doesn’t look right to me and there are too many times where we seem to open up providing opposition space to run into.

Without any evidence it also feels like we miss more tackles than most.

It also feels like our kicking game, particularly from scrum half, invites pressure onto us from which our defence struggles to cope.

Defence should effectively be ‘no talent required are’ and given the time the coaching set up has been in place I don’t think unfair to expect better.
Hall of Famer

24 Sep 2021 21:22 pm:

.........and the solution ?

Players we assume can tackle at this level. That is basic.

Is it more about defensive structures or is it about individuals missing tackles ...or both ?.

I see a pattern whereby we leave ourselves weakened in defence off the back of a breakdown in attack. In a way it's a kind of reverse logic, but often we should not be having to be in situations where we are defending.

There were a number of such situations tonight. It maybe that we are not having a defensive back up structure for losing possession that we should be retaining ; and scoring from. This is where this "double-whammy" is hitting us the hardest.

It has been like this for too long and needs sorting. The final 5 metres seem to be the hardest for us to convert.

Getting into the opposition 22 isn't proving so difficult and hasn't for some time.

How does a side attack and have a back up plan when a good % of the time possession is lost ?. The answer is surely to convert possession so that the defensive back up plans are not so crucial.

If we don't sort both of these situations out then as things stand we will continue to concede a lot of points and fail to win matches that we are capable of winning.
Vice-Captain

24 Sep 2021 21:25 pm:

Good post, completely agree.
Hall of Famer

24 Sep 2021 21:31 pm:

Talking of kick chase, Leicester had four skilled blockers protecting their full back on a number of occasions.
The attacking team needs help of officials in such circumstances.
Hall of Famer

24 Sep 2021 21:32 pm:

In my opinion, we miss too many first up tackles, which then leaves gaps in our rush defence. To fix it, you either make the tackles or change the defensive approach.
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle

24 Sep 2021 21:42 pm:

We’ve had 18 months of Waldouck…the players are confused, I’m confused and opposition continues to waltz through our defence which seems to be made up of shadow tacklers and prima donnas.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....

24 Sep 2021 21:50 pm:

12 of the 17 missed tackles were by the backs. However it was only 11 from 26 last week. Whatever defensive plan we have, and I can't see one, isn't working. A change is required: Either in Plan or Personnel.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

24 Sep 2021 21:52 pm:

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:We’ve had 18 months of Waldouck…the players are confused, I’m confused and opposition continues to waltz through our defence which seems to be made up of shadow tacklers and prima donnas.

Yes KPB agree; BUT we need to convert the possession we are getting into points and not losing it and then having to defend in situations we should never be having to defend. Those are the hardest defensive situations to plan for. If we were more clinical and ruthless in the final 5 -10 metres of the opposition try line we would see a different level of confidence and a much better structure in defence. In normal defensive situations we are not too bad and we do force errors from the opposition . In unexpected counter-attacking defence we are dreadful and ill - equipped to deal with these situations.

Errors = defence exposure.

Buck stops with Skivington . The forwards need to be getting over the try/gain line and not fumbling so much possession.

I like Luds loads as a player and he's pretty iconic as a captain ; but I prefer steady Ed as a Captain more. Not blaming Luds at all but someone needs so install composure when we have possession and scoring from 10 metres-out opportunities. We are playing like headless chickens too often in these situations.
Last edited by RTS2 on 24 Sep 2021 21:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer

24 Sep 2021 21:53 pm:

Far too many missed tackles. The Potter try was embarrassing. We can’t keep conceding that many points every game. We will go all season without a win.
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby