Defence

Hall of Famer

Re: Defence

25 Sep 2021 06:44 am:

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:
Wyn Morgan wrote:Interesting that we were taking quick penalties because we didn’t trust our line out or rolling maul. How many of our line ours did they steal

Or we were taking quick taps because the opportunity was on?

Our line up was definitely working in the second half and could have been what got us the win.

Pretty sure it’s just the fact they saw an opp. Our line out drive was excellent, yes they stole a couple but thought we looked good in the set piece all round. Freddie clarke made a good impact IMO
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 06:49 am:

Pretty sure it’s just the fact they saw an opp. Our line out drive was excellent, yes they stole a couple but thought we looked good in the set piece all round. Freddie clarke made a good impact IMO[/quote]

We conceded two tries as result of losing our own lineout in their 22.
Vice-Captain

25 Sep 2021 08:21 am:

Agree with the original, Original Tetley post. I and others mentioned the same last year, we are simply shipping too many points be they try's or through penalty count. We can't hope to win many games when we concede on average 25 points per game. We are simply not good enough to have the idea that we can score more points than the oppo so it doesn't matter.
On the board

26 Sep 2021 00:48 am:

I am still to be convinced that Skivington is the right bloke to be head coach.
I am, however, convinced that Waldouck is not the right person to be defence coach. We need to get shut of him ASAP.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something." ~ Plato
Hall of Famer

26 Sep 2021 06:20 am:

Just look at the rapid impact made by Kevin Sinfield at Leicester with their defence ...
Vice-Captain

26 Sep 2021 07:11 am:

If Sinfield is such a good defence coach for Leicester how come they let in 4 tries?
Hall of Famer

26 Sep 2021 07:40 am:

A good point.
Hall of Famer

26 Sep 2021 08:10 am:

The record for this coaching setup is pretty grim. We’re now at 22 defeats in 33 games. I honestly don’t know where the success will be measured, as that figure is likely to only get worse.
Vice-Captain

26 Sep 2021 08:27 am:

Big Red wrote:The record for this coaching setup is pretty grim. We’re now at 22 defeats in 33 games. I honestly don’t know where the success will be measured, as that figure is likely to only get worse.

That’s nearly a season and a half and little improvement seen. We seem to score enough but can’t defend. Now is that systems being wrong or players not putting their body’s on the line due to no relegation and knowing they aren’t going to win the premiership or a mixture of both?
Hall of Famer

26 Sep 2021 08:34 am:

Chris Jones ... they were perfect playing conditions for both teams to play. As such, I would expect tries to be scored by both sides.

Leicester made 93% of their tackles, Gloucester 83%. The Potter try was very poor from a defensive point of view - would Leicester have conceded such a try?

Leicester made good use of blockers to allow Steward to catch all the high balls and, when appropriate, run with the ball. I think he made over 50 metres ball in hand.

Gloucester had more possession (56%) and territory (52%) and probably had more opportunities in the red zone. Leicester's defence of their line was pretty resolute.

Leicester were down to 14 men for the last 8 minutes but held on and made a crucial turnover, near to their own line, to close down the match.

In my opinion it was Leicester's better defensive organisation which was the most decisive factor in them winning the match.

All-in-all, I think that Sinfield has been a crucial signing for Leicester.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby