Defence

Re: Defence

24 Sep 2021 21:58 pm:

Root and branch….or just Skivington? Interesting., not sure myself.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

24 Sep 2021 21:59 pm:

Ferret wrote:Talking of kick chase, Leicester had four skilled blockers protecting their full back on a number of occasions.
The attacking team needs help of officials in such circumstances.

Thorley had to run through a fair few blockers tonight. Noticed that Austin never mentioned this.
Hall of Famer

24 Sep 2021 22:04 pm:

I don’t think it’s defensive system issues as such, and I do think anyone who plays a Tigers team with Nadolo is going to miss few first up tackles.

I like Moyle, think he is probably a good value player, but don’t get that confident assurance at the back. Freddie Stewart looks rock solid under the high ball and defensively. Billy T gives his all, but isnt a 13.

Elringtons tackle stats were impressive btw.

24 Sep 2021 22:07 pm:

if you look at the Prem stats link I put up in the OGT thread, use the statistics tab to see the tackles made / missed, by individual players. It's there for every match. Some of the players tackles / missed tackles stats will surprise you.
aka John Neary
Turns out for the A team

24 Sep 2021 23:09 pm:

TP17 wrote:Far too many missed tackles. The Potter try was embarrassing. We can’t keep conceding that many points every game. We will go all season without a win.

This …
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 00:37 am:

Is this just Premiership you're counting, because that would be 24... 11 games x 2 for home and away 20/21 the 21/22 + 2 this season -

Taking that tact shows a rounded average to 24 points a game

We then balance that with the 'points for' which is 20 points a game giving a point difference of -4 a game.

Yes we can point to defence but at -4 a game we should be looking at discipline too, handling errors, scrum techniques etc and get the penalty count way down. I think there is a tonnage of passion, determination, drive and soul on the pitch that sometimes turns to ill discipline but show two penalties loses games and I'm sure change will happen.
"[MrGlawsRocker is] continual(ly) striving for across the board Diversity, Inclusion and Equality" - Gloucester Mute 03/09/2021
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 05:43 am:

RTS2 wrote:Yes KPB agree; BUT we need to convert the possession we are getting into points and not losing it and then having to defend in situations we should never be having to defend. Those are the hardest defensive situations to plan for. If we were more clinical and ruthless in the final 5 -10 metres of the opposition try line we would see a different level of confidence and a much better structure in defence. In normal defensive situations we are not too bad and we do force errors from the opposition . In unexpected counter-attacking defence we are dreadful and ill - equipped to deal with these situations.

Errors = defence exposure.

Buck stops with Skivington . The forwards need to be getting over the try/gain line and not fumbling so much possession.

In my opinion they are panicking when we are in the red zone because each close loss bring added pressure to get over the line and because we know we will leak more tries. It has become a vicious circle.
It feels like we also hinge when blitzing early and let players walk tries in of first phase ball or like the Potter try just sailing through the missed tackles.

We are competitive in all of these close games so don’t seem to struggle to score so for me defence needs rework.
I suggest last season perhaps DW was out of his depth I also suggested maybe a mentor or some support from an experienced consultant would help and got smashed for it.
I really want it to work for Skivs and I think it can but I worry loyalty to some of his coaches might hold him back from making changes if needed; that in turn could lead to a panicked decision to remove him.
Hero in the making

25 Sep 2021 06:06 am:

Interesting that we were taking quick penalties because we didn’t trust our line out or rolling maul. How many of our line ours did they steal
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 06:14 am:

Wyn Morgan wrote:Interesting that we were taking quick penalties because we didn’t trust our line out or rolling maul. How many of our line ours did they steal

That in itself is interesting as our line out last year was a strong point.

Quick penalties has been a bit of a theme back end of last season across the premiership & with the rule change the driving maul followed by pick and go until you score will possibly be less of a thing.
Hall of Famer

25 Sep 2021 06:28 am:

Wyn Morgan wrote:Interesting that we were taking quick penalties because we didn’t trust our line out or rolling maul. How many of our line ours did they steal

Or we were taking quick taps because the opportunity was on?

Our line up was definitely working in the second half and could have been what got us the win.
Keyser Sose
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby