Teams Up

Hall of Famer

Re: Teams Up

08 Oct 2021 18:55 pm:

Because the coaches, who see the players every day, think he’s the better option. Not rocket science.
Cherchez la truffe
Hall of Famer

08 Oct 2021 18:57 pm:

Also Chapman is on the bench, not Varney.
On the board

08 Oct 2021 19:14 pm:

colinboag wrote:Because the coaches, who see the players every day, think he’s the better option. Not rocket science.

Thanks for that explanation, very insightful
Hall of Famer

08 Oct 2021 19:39 pm:

Hopefully I’ve helped you.
Cherchez la truffe
Hall of Famer

08 Oct 2021 20:08 pm:

thread killer wrote:Meehan needs to up the speed of his service massively. Not sure why he is starting over Varney?? Unless Varney is injured?

His game management and kicking is better, a quick pass isn’t the be all and end all.

Similar player to Heinz, we need a 9 who can manage the pack.

08 Oct 2021 20:14 pm:

thread killer wrote:
colinboag wrote:Because the coaches, who see the players every day, think he’s the better option. Not rocket science.

Thanks for that explanation, very insightful

Hopefully the fact that Meehan has a great kick, well lofted off either feet, to suit the game plan for our chasing backs off 11, 13 and 14 for the bulk of the game and Varney to give the alternative plan B. Which is what the coaches observe in training..

Any more insightful?
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

08 Oct 2021 20:25 pm:

I believe Varney will be one of the top 9s we’ve ever had. His natural ability is at a different level. He’s still very young at 20.

With a 10 who can control the game the need for a game controlling 9, with limited attacking threat should be lessened.
Formerly Sky blue
Senior squad member

08 Oct 2021 20:57 pm:

This is still a good Sale side. Getting parity and getting the ball out to the backs is a big task.

The game is all about the grunt as usual. Win it and our backs will deliver
Aka Tug
Senior squad member

08 Oct 2021 23:05 pm:

thread killer wrote:Meehan needs to up the speed of his service massively. Not sure why he is starting over Varney?? Unless Varney is injured?

I don’t think he’d have made his school XV if he didn’t have quick service, let alone make the grade of Super & Premiership Rugby.
Depending on the situation, it’s sometimes better to delay the pass - constant quick service to the fly half allows the opposition back row to blitz the fly half, knowing that’s where it’s going. A second or 2 delay means the defence have to stop & wait, allowing more time for the attacking backs.
It’s a balance between keeping the momentum of the attack, whilst also stopping the momentum of the defence.
Hall of Famer

09 Oct 2021 06:06 am:

Dazza wrote:

I don’t think he’d have made his school XV if he didn’t have quick service, let alone make the grade of Super & Premiership Rugby.
Depending on the situation, it’s sometimes better to delay the pass - constant quick service to the fly half allows the opposition back row to blitz the fly half, knowing that’s where it’s going. A second or 2 delay means the defence have to stop & wait, allowing more time for the attacking backs.
It’s a balance between keeping the momentum of the attack, whilst also stopping the momentum of the defence.

Dazza that's a great explanation thanks. I think Meehan is top drawer, his kicking is a huge asset and his situation management at the breakdown is just what we need.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby