Glaws vs Sale - OGT

Dude

Re: Glaws vs Sale - OGT

11 Oct 2021 10:04 am:

No great mystery. Tim was our backs/attack coach and despite Cipriani’s obvious input he was the one responsible for our fabulous back play under JA. He’s been moved to the academy and Alex King has taken over that role.

King came with a good CV but I haven’t been impressed thus far. I accept it may be part of the overall strategy atm and may become more expansive, but as I say, so far I feel we’ve regressed in that department.
Senior squad member

11 Oct 2021 10:38 am:

From what i've seen that is as dominant a Gloucester performance I can remember against a very good side. Initial thoughts were Sale were very clinical and opportunistic and took what little chances they had - I predict they will be top 4 again this season and I would argue it's that level of success they've had over the last few years that means they are in a position as a side to take scraps on offer and make the most of them. Inversely, we have been unsuccessful for several years and therefore that habit of picking up crumbs and making the most of them is not currently within our squads muscle memory yet - for example the knock on by our short term hooker and Hastings taking contact and losing the ball after Jonny's burst and cut in field where we had i would guess 8 on 3 in the wider channel. A team more used to winning and playing well would be far sharper and clinical in these situations and would have put another easy 10 to 14 points on the board. This can only be built through continued on field success and performances.

The inverse is also true of our major lapse for the last 10 minutes. We have been in those positions before where teams put us under the pump and we crumble and have lost as a result (Bristol at home last year springs to mind) therefore it is more common we will revert to type and fall apart, at least until the cycle is broken.

The performance was based on solid forward play, solid scrum and a dominant lineout with heavy carries from Ruan and Ben especially - that's the blueprint that GS has described previous so it's always good to see it in practice.

Special footnote to Ben Meehan, didn't realise he could kick so well off both feet! can't think of many scrum halves who have that ability.

Big game against Irish which will be tough but winnable then Newcs at home. Feeling happy as a Glos fan this morning, it's nowhere near the finished article but feel my belief is starting to be repaid.
Hall of Famer

11 Oct 2021 10:46 am:

Still Realistic wrote:"Hastings was good again(although I wish he'd sometimes really go for it on his kicking to the corner)" what like Lloyd Evans always does!!!! Sorry we are not allowed to say he is any good (dead puppy) .
Nb I am not saying Hastings isn't a good player.

Each to their own but I'd rather be 10m out every time than 5m out 8/10 times but miss touch the other 2 like Evans tends to do.
Hall of Famer

11 Oct 2021 11:23 am:

steckers, when Govotsvev was signed one of our number posted 'Awful signing. Total lack of ambition from Glos again', while another said that recent signings reminded him of the latter days of Melville's reign, 'dire'. So, I think there was a fair bit of negativity.

When our Russian prop appeared in the pre-season games, I think he was referred to as a penalty machine - credit to the coaches for what they've done

When I made the mild comment that I'd like to see AH go for nearer to the corner on penalty kicks, it was typical SW that someone had to do a comparison with LE's occasional misses! I think we're really lucky to have both LE/AH, and I expect them both to feature, as hopefully will Barton. BTW, if you watch BT Sports coverage of games, it's one of Healey's hot buttons at present that some kickers are too conservative - he gave 'lazy' Dan Biggar criticism for exactly that on Sunday. With our maul, a 5M lineout is very likely to get us a try..from 15M out the odds are less.
Cherchez la truffe
Turns out for the A team

11 Oct 2021 11:40 am:

Last season we were loosing these sort of game by a few points when we were not a good side but this season we have more substance to our game. Although this was a win by the skin of our teeth we have far more about us organisation wise this term than we did last. Skivs is going in the right direction and the believe in the squad which has always been there is beginning to show . I personally am more optimistic than i have been for some time going forward.

11 Oct 2021 11:55 am:

I agree about Biggars lazy kick it's those fine margins and attention to detail that make a difference at the end of the season. A bit more ambition in Hastings' kicks would be welcome to nail home our new found prowess in the catch and drive.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

11 Oct 2021 12:34 pm:

In fairness, Hastings kicked a fantastic touch finder in the first half from the halfway line which set us up with a lineout on the 5m line and ultimately resulted in the Singleton try.

11 Oct 2021 13:55 pm:

Our Russian prop was doing a great job. Anyone seen his match stats ? Apart from the usual lineout and scrum work, he also made 19 tackles, missing 1, yet was subbed on 58 mins - that's some going for anyone, let alone a tighthead prop. I rather think he's enjoying himself and appreciates being at Glos.

So, we appear to have sorted out the slow starts, but exchanged that for poor finishing. We managed to score some good trys; stole some of their lineout ball; competed well at the breakdown and set piece and came out on top for a very pleasant change.
Hall of Famer

11 Oct 2021 14:47 pm:

Lewi7 wrote:Our Russian prop was doing a great job. Anyone seen his match stats ? Apart from the usual lineout and scrum work, he also made 19 tackles, missing 1, yet was subbed on 58 mins - that's some going for anyone, let alone a tighthead prop. I rather think he's enjoying himself and appreciates being at Glos.

So, we appear to have sorted out the slow starts, but exchanged that for poor finishing. We managed to score some good trys; stole some of their lineout ball; competed well at the breakdown and set piece and came out on top for a very pleasant change.

I for one am happy to hold
My hand up and say I was wrong on Gotovtsev; he looked out of his depth in preseason but his last few performances have been great, whatever has gone on in the background, coaching, settling in, communication and clearly a lot of hard work it looks to be paying off.
Hall of Famer

11 Oct 2021 14:50 pm:

Re Gotovtsev

There was a moment which tickled me when the ref was telling Gotevtsev that our 15 had to go off. It was like watching John Cleese and Andrew Sachs
Previously Mark from Stroud
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby