Goal line drop out counter tactic

Hall of Famer

Goal line drop out counter tactic

09 Oct 2021 09:21 am:

Check out this tactic used in response to the new goal line drop out by the Sharks last night v Ospreys! Ospreys take a goal line drop out, kicking straight to the Sharks 10 who immediately responds with a successful drop goal (twice). It’s either a clever pre-planned tactic from the Sharks or stupid from the Ospreys kicking straight to the opposition 10 in front of the posts.

I hope non Twitter users are able to watch the video.
https://twitter.com/urcofficial/status/ ... 71724?s=21
Hall of Famer

Re: Goal line drop out counter tactic

09 Oct 2021 09:42 am:

Have to say that the second kick wasn't that bad a one from defence. The first one was poor, but not to underestimate the quality of both drop goals. They were both very high quality kicks for a number of reasons. Point taken though and with a drop goal kicker of this caliber certainly a very good tactic indeed.
Hero in the making
Location: Alicante Province, within easy reach of the airport......!

09 Oct 2021 10:39 am:

Good to see the return of the drop goal, a tactic that seems to have been lost as a way of keeping the scoreboard ticking over.

09 Oct 2021 12:22 pm:

He's a mighty fine drop kick on him....I've a feeling that would have suited Ludo.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

09 Oct 2021 12:32 pm:

On the one hand it's well played from the sharks whether it was planned or not but if it is going to become a prevailing tactic as a result of the rule change then hopefully we can go back to the 22 drop out instead.
Keyser Sose
On the board

09 Oct 2021 12:38 pm:

Re Ludo, I watched an old VHS tape of Glos v Wasps, it isn't a false memory, he really could kick that far, plus Andy Hazel was as fast and as good as I remember.

09 Oct 2021 12:58 pm:

Nobbler23 wrote:Re Ludo, I watched an old VHS tape of Glos v Wasps, it isn't a false memory, he really could kick that far, plus Andy Hazel was as fast and as good as I remember.

#Metoo... I was better and faster the older I get....
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Vice-Captain

09 Oct 2021 18:48 pm:

I don’t know if this has been covered in other threads. Correct me if I’m wrong by, today was to first drop goal since Freddie Burns. The winning points
On the board

10 Oct 2021 05:04 am:

Sozpr wrote:I don’t know if this has been covered in other threads. Correct me if I’m wrong by, today was to first drop goal since Freddie Burns. The winning points

I think you’re right. Drop goals are rarer than rocking horse poo these days - and I reckon it’s because teams are now given a definitive period of penalty advantage (ie until they mess up).

Here’s a staggering statistic: Ludovic Mercier kicked 17 (seventeen) drop goals during his first season with the Gloucester club.
Hall of Famer

10 Oct 2021 09:43 am:

Apparently that was Hasting's first ever.
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby