New training facility

Hall of Famer
Posts: 1863

New training facility

10 Oct 2021 08:22 am:

Yesterday afternoon me and Kookie went to see the new training facility.

We were well looked after by the staff and the players on duty.

It is a very large site. There is a very large warehouse, currently empty, which will be converted into a supporters bar which may accommodate between 500 and 750 people.

The gymnasium is fully up and running which, I was told, is bigger and better than at Hartpury. There is a sprint track there. Adjacent to it is the indoor plastic pitch which is maybe 2/3 or 3/4 of a standard sized pitch. This has been ready for a week. The players have been using this area for lineout and scrummaging drills etc

There is a small bridge, straddling a stream, between the training facility and the grandstand at the stadium.

The players I spoke with said that the new training facility is a big upgrade on Hartpury.

It seemed to me that this training ground provides a good environment in which to train.

All-in-all, I was pleased with what I saw. So far, Phase 1 is complete. I would like to go back when Phase 2 has been finished.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3366
Location: Gloucester

Re: New training facility

10 Oct 2021 08:55 am:

Great news! I wasn’t aware that there was to be a supporters bar included in the building, awesome.
Site Admin
Posts: 1485

Re: New training facility

10 Oct 2021 08:57 am:

Sounds positive Ken, thanks for the update.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 7795
Location: Longlevens

Re: New training facility

10 Oct 2021 09:05 am:

Unfortunately I didn't have time to go to the viewing but the pictures look good. Whilst I get the possible use of space for Hospitality to increase revenue, I'd rather it was used for more equipment/ physio space etc and be player / staff centric. On a side note, I actually went to the Main bar yesterday and was put off by the battleship grey paint scheme, which makes it look more like an outside loo than it previously did. The Management would have been to the other Clubs and seem how most of them have a more " welcoming" main bar, which would encourage more punters to go earlier or leave later.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1863

Re: New training facility

10 Oct 2021 09:10 am:

There is plenty of space for the gym and training facilities - much more than at Hartpury. The players I spoke with were, without prompting, enthusiastic about the new facility.

I suggest that you actually visit the facility and then comment.

Why be negative about something that you have not actually seen?!
Senior squad member
Posts: 141

Re: New training facility

10 Oct 2021 09:16 am:

I was 15 minutes behind Ken through the training facility. I agree with what he said.

I’m not qualified to judge the design, layout etc but have two additional comments:

1) There’s a straight multi-lane running track, about 30 metres long.

2) A polite request led to being shown the medical facility adjoining the training area. It’s a reflection of modern pro-rugby it was surprisingly large with capability to treat many players at once.
Last edited by Nikleb on 10 Oct 2021 09:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Uren Shrivenham
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2925

Re: New training facility

10 Oct 2021 09:16 am:

DieTrying wrote:Unfortunately I didn't have time to go to the viewing but the pictures look good. Whilst I get the possible use of space for Hospitality to increase revenue, I'd rather it was used for more equipment/ physio space etc and be player / staff centric. On a side note, I actually went to the Main bar yesterday and was put off by the battleship grey paint scheme, which makes it look more like an outside loo than it previously did. The Management would have been to the other Clubs and seem how most of them have a more " welcoming" main bar, which would encourage more punters to go earlier or leave later.


The wrong colour paint, what next …
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 7795
Location: Longlevens

Re: New training facility

10 Oct 2021 09:20 am:

Ken Burney wrote:There is plenty of space for the gym and training facilities - much more than at Hartpury. The players I spoke with were, without prompting, enthusiastic about the new facility.

I suggest that you actually visit the facility and then comment.

Why be negative about something that you have not actually seen?!


I wasn't being negative, I just said I'd prefer the large space to be used for any future equipment needs etc for the players / staff and not for supporters/ Hospitality.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1863

Re: New training facility

10 Oct 2021 09:23 am:

Piffle.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 7795
Location: Longlevens

Re: New training facility

10 Oct 2021 09:26 am:

GB83 wrote:
DieTrying wrote:Unfortunately I didn't have time to go to the viewing but the pictures look good. Whilst I get the possible use of space for Hospitality to increase revenue, I'd rather it was used for more equipment/ physio space etc and be player / staff centric. On a side note, I actually went to the Main bar yesterday and was put off by the battleship grey paint scheme, which makes it look more like an outside loo than it previously did. The Management would have been to the other Clubs and seem how most of them have a more " welcoming" main bar, which would encourage more punters to go earlier or leave later.


The wrong colour paint, what next …


Belive it or not, colour schemes matter, if you want to attract and keep customers. Battleship Grey is hardly welcoming is it?
aka John Neary
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby