Attendance

Hero in the making

Re: Attendance

11 Oct 2021 08:15 am:

Oxford Glaws wrote:Another issue for those of us who have to travel is the increasing difficulty of getting to Friday night games. Since GWR rescheduled their timetable, there is no way off getting back without missing the second half. We now have to drive on Fridays. This means that I can't have a couple of beers before the game and the match-day experience is diminished just another notch. Soon we will face the prospect of the 50 mile journey home on unlit roads in rotten weather conditions. I will then be presented with the choice of venturing out or watching on TV in front of the fire with a nice glass of red. It makes the question of whether it is worth forking out over £600 next year a sensible one or instead just buying an early bird ticket on the rare occasion that there is a Saturday game or a reasonably handy away fixture.

I know the feeling. We have 180 mile trip and the M4 is dreadful around cardiff and Newport Hey ho. Our problem

11 Oct 2021 08:20 am:

I would be very interested to know the clubs view on ticket pricing. For me it used to be excellent value up untill 10 - 15 yrs ago. Day tickets and Season tickets were fair value. I was lucky that the price wasn't an issue . I do think that the last 10 yrs has seen a significant hike and I'm not sure what extra that provides. Of course the pro game is costing more but would the club get more overall revenue from a revision of the current structure. I can't believe they haven't looked at this properly and as a result would be very interested to know the rationale. When was the last time Holm was 95% + full? I can accept that the ecconomic model might suggest that the current pricing is the best way of generating maximum value but it would impress me more to see this explained. A lot of the deals and prices I see as poor value and not fit for our supporters.

11 Oct 2021 08:24 am:

Ed, agree with your list, but to add a few points.

Winning and attractive rugby, will bring people back.

The pricing is wrong. The cost of a ticket is too expensive for a lot of casual supporters, add cost of travel, food, drink, parking etc

Covid is still a big issue for a lot of people and on top of that some people just haven't re-acclimatised to going out yet.

The generally bad PR the club has had with some of its decision making. The perception is that the fans are being squeezed and when you add in my first point, people will stay away and we all know that perception always beats reality.

Some people have done well in the last 18 months, but equally others have and continue to struggle financially.

Match scheduling; taking holidays as travel opens up; TV coverage, being able to watch the match in full on your ipad whilst sat in the safe warmth of your home; travel options to & from Glos etc etc all add up to an extensive pot why attendances are down, not just at Glos but across the leagues.
Hall of Famer

11 Oct 2021 08:27 am:

The tickets ae expensive but the critical issues are covid and success of the team, the rest of the reasons will pale away once/if these are overcome.

Also economically the rationale that if you halvbe prices the attendance doubles is flawed, what the club will do is price at the level to maximise income. If they dropped the prices but the attendance only goes up a small amount you lose overall (and annoy season ticket holders).
On a trial

11 Oct 2021 08:43 am:

The so called 'Customer Experience Team' need to be aware of these issues, but can you contact them!!!!!
Hero in the making

11 Oct 2021 09:08 am:

CMGC wrote: When was the last time Holm was 95% + full?

January last year, 3 games before pandemic hit.
Academy prospect

11 Oct 2021 09:15 am:

Oxford Glaws wrote:Another issue for those of us who have to travel is the increasing difficulty of getting to Friday night games. Since GWR rescheduled their timetable, there is no way off getting back without missing the second half. We now have to drive on Fridays. This means that I can't have a couple of beers before the game and the match-day experience is diminished just another notch. Soon we will face the prospect of the 50 mile journey home on unlit roads in rotten weather conditions. I will then be presented with the choice of venturing out or watching on TV in front of the fire with a nice glass of red. It makes the question of whether it is worth forking out over £600 next year a sensible one or instead just buying an early bird ticket on the rare occasion that there is a Saturday game or a reasonably handy away fixture.

This is absolutely spot on - its fairly detrimental to the club that you cannot get East of Swindon after a Friday night game.

They need to sort this out with GWR (particularly given the number of Friday games we have)
Academy prospect

11 Oct 2021 09:44 am:

lovejoy wrote:The tickets ae expensive but the critical issues are covid and success of the team, the rest of the reasons will pale away once/if these are overcome.

Also economically the rationale that if you halvbe prices the attendance doubles is flawed, what the club will do is price at the level to maximise income. If they dropped the prices but the attendance only goes up a small amount you lose overall (and annoy season ticket holders).

Very much a back of a fag pack calculation… so take with a big pinch of salt but this might help for illustrative purposes.

Say the club usually sells 11k tickets at an average of £40. If you drop the average price of the ticket by £5 they’d need to sell an extra 1572 tickets to break even.

Appreciate that doesn’t account for season ticket holders, or the increased costs of more fans through the gates, but it does illustrate how a small price change has a significant impact.
Hall of Famer

11 Oct 2021 10:16 am:

A big unknown at the moment is the 'elasticity' of the demand for tickets. A good opportunity to test this out is the PRC starting in November. That pitches us up against Bath, obviously squad players will be widely used but there will be some significant talent on display and it is, of course, a match against the side we love to hate the most. At present you'd expect a pretty derisory crowd number, I notice prices aren't up for this tournament so maybe a £10 - £15 promotion would tempt the missing back. Incidentally, I notice advance tickets to stand in the Shed are £35 for Newcastle and £40 for Exeter. Any idea how much you pay if you just turn up on the day? No details on the GRFC site
Hall of Famer

11 Oct 2021 14:29 pm:

spaman wrote:Madders,
Some attendance figures are published here, if that helps.
https://www.premiershiprugby.com/gallag ... s-results/

The Gloucester numbers are at odds with what was put up during the game (10,241) whereas 13,500 onthe Premiership site!!

Odd
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby