Dai Bishop

Dai Bishop

11 Oct 2021 16:23 pm:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/58871367

Thought twice about posting this. The younger readers might not know too much about David Bishop. I saw him get is one & only cap for Wales, vs Aus in Cardiff 1984. Terry Holmes was injured. The Aussies were so far ahead of any British / Irish team at the time. Wales lost, something like 34-9 iirc, but it would have been alot worse if it hadn't been for Bish.

Clearly he's struggled since he stopped playing, those that saw him play in his pomp will have memories I'm sure. Some say he was better than Holmes, some even say he was better than Edwards, well we'll never know, especially on the international stage, but at Club level he was one quite special player.
Hero in the making

Re: Dai Bishop

11 Oct 2021 16:48 pm:

Hell of a player - saw him quite a few times for Pooler. Nowhere near Gareth but certainly as good, if not better, than Holmes IMHO. Was just a bit of a dipstick off the pitch (and on it) at times which didn't help his cause. If a 20-year-old Bish pitched at Kingsholm today I'd hope our management team would say 'yes please'.
Very sad to hear about his ongoing issues.
Hall of Famer

11 Oct 2021 18:37 pm:

Lewi7 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/58871367

Thought twice about posting this. The younger readers might not know too much about David Bishop. I saw him get is one & only cap for Wales, vs Aus in Cardiff 1984. Terry Holmes was injured. The Aussies were so far ahead of any British / Irish team at the time. Wales lost, something like 34-9 iirc, but it would have been alot worse if it hadn't been for Bish.

Clearly he's struggled since he stopped playing, those that saw him play in his pomp will have memories I'm sure. Some say he was better than Holmes, some even say he was better than Edwards, well we'll never know, especially on the international stage, but at Club level he was one quite special player.

I've never heard anyone put him at the same level as GOE!

As you say, one hell of a club player at the time of the halcyon days at Pontypool Park.

11 Oct 2021 18:44 pm:

Remember him well from my playing days down there...not quite his level... remember Mark Ring being poached, sorry recruited to Ponty and forming quite a pairing....and his move to league following my drinking buddy from the Black Lion in Llandaff ;)
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Vice-Captain

11 Oct 2021 18:57 pm:

A friend told me today that David Bishop was Alex Brown and Will James’ first main coach at Pontypool!!
Hall of Famer

12 Oct 2021 06:59 am:

I was at that Wales/Australia match in ‘84: a cracking day out it was, too. And saw Dai Bish playing several times for Pooler - a truly superb scrum half with that magnificent pack. Not really ever likely to curry favour with the selectors, though, neither before and certainly not after his moonie at the Park!

Return to Gloucester Rugby