60 cap rule?

60 cap rule?

13 Oct 2021 08:55 am:

From the DT:

Wayne Pivac has been given the go ahead to break Wales’s strict 60-cap rule and include Wasps’ Thomas Young in his squad for the autumn series.

Under normal circumstances Young, 29, would have remained in the cold because he does meet the 60-cap criteria that enables a Wales player to play their domestic rugby abroad.

While Young was able to make his debut for Wales as a Wasps player — his debut came four months before Wales announced the cap rule — each time he signed a new contract at the English club he ruled himself out of international contention because he hadn’t reached the threshold, introduced to try to keep the best players at the four Welsh regions.

There're more, but it's behind a paywall.
aka John Neary

Re: 60 cap rule?

13 Oct 2021 09:11 am:

Update: It's just been announced that he's signed for Cardiff from next Season.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

13 Oct 2021 09:32 am:

Off to join daddy, that's nice
Cherchez la truffe
Vice-Captain

13 Oct 2021 09:36 am:

colinboag wrote:Off to join daddy, that's nice

Dai Trying..

13 Oct 2021 09:38 am:

The WRU did something similar with Rhys Webb a couple of years ago leading up to the RWC. As Webb has signed for the Opsreys they granted him dispensation to be eligible for Wales selection even though he was still playing in France. IIRC they did something similar for Preistland last season once his return to Wales was confirmed, now they've done the same for Young, who has long been rumoured as following his Dad to Cardiff.

So, that's Thomas Young, Webb, Liam Williams, WillGriff John, Tomos Francis, Rowlands, Jonah Holmes, Moriarty, to name a few who have moved back to Wales to play to give them a chance of playing for Wales.

With Tipuric, Botham, Navidi, James Davies all out injured Young might just make the squad. Taine Basham has a superb game last week vs Connaught so he's another option.

13 Oct 2021 09:40 am:

- lovely. I'm sure you'd say this exactly as you meant here, to Dai & Thomas's face. If you did I've no doubt there'd be a sudden horrible smell and you'd soon realise that adrenaline is brown !

13 Oct 2021 10:00 am:

For clarity, Young isn't available to Wales for the AB match, as it's outside the international window.

Cardiff is also his home region, it's a normal return for him.
First team regular

13 Oct 2021 10:29 am:

Strange signing for Cardiff given they already have Navidi, Botham, Ellis Jenkins and Shane Lewis-Hughes in their squad. Feels a bit like Gloucester signing May.
Hero in the making

13 Oct 2021 11:31 am:

Lewi7 wrote:
- lovely. I'm sure you'd say this exactly as you meant here, to Dai & Thomas's face. If you did I've no doubt there'd be a sudden horrible smell and you'd soon realise that adrenaline is brown !

Who'd hold him and who'd belt him?
‘Politicians and diapers must be changed often and for the same reason.’ Mark Twain.

13 Oct 2021 13:25 pm:

yourrealname wrote:
colinboag wrote:Off to join daddy, that's nice

Dai Trying..

Dai'd in the wool ... ;)
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....

Return to Gloucester Rugby