Ref’

Hall of Famer

Re: Ref’

14 Oct 2021 15:17 pm:

It is possible to dread the appointment of Karl Dickson as the ref, not because we always lose, but because he's not a very good ref, and win or lose, the match becomes more of a lottery for both sides.

It's not just Gloucester fans confused by his interpretations, other teams, and their supporters, are 'lucky' enough not to understand his decisions as well.
Hall of Famer

14 Oct 2021 17:21 pm:

Agreed that he is the poorest of the current top flight officials but he is the ref and you can't play without one! I'm sure all clubs will have analysed his performances and will tell their players to act accordingly, the same as any ref. Let us just hope he is on an upwards trajectory!
Ken Smith (once upon a time Mr Realistic)
Hall of Famer

14 Oct 2021 18:14 pm:

One thing you can expect come Sunday evening, is Dickson smugly liking tweets about criticism of his performance on social media. Seems to revel in it. Probably reading Shedweb right now - Hi Karl!!
On the board

14 Oct 2021 18:17 pm:

Well I think he us a top ref and a really good bloke ;)
Hall of Famer

14 Oct 2021 18:18 pm:

kingsholmmick wrote:Well I think he us a top ref and a really good bloke ;)
kingsholmmick wrote:Well I think he us a top ref and a really good bloke ;)

Again, Hi Karl! :lol:
Vice-Captain

15 Oct 2021 08:57 am:

Good luck to him. Some of his decisions are a little confusing but as much as some enjoy bashing refs it's the same at all levels. The role deserves respect and constant criticism helps no one.

He will get more legitimate and well structured feedback every game from the professional structure than most of us get in a working lifetime and I'm OK trusting that view rather than my own cherry and white tinted myopia.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster and treat those two impostors just the same.
Hall of Famer

15 Oct 2021 09:48 am:

Hear hear.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

15 Oct 2021 17:32 pm:

Just to clear things up, I wasn't saying that we haven't won much when Dickson has been in charge because of him. To be honest, his tenure as a ref has coincided with our win/loss ratio taking a dive which has more to do with it. I do dread Dickson being in charge because of superstition as we rarely win with him and I also think that compared to the other Premiership referees he is quite poor.

(underlined for emphasis before someone jumps on this)

15 Oct 2021 21:50 pm:

SwindonGlos wrote:Good luck to him. Some of his decisions are a little confusing but as much as some enjoy bashing refs it's the same at all levels. The role deserves respect and constant criticism helps no one.

He will get more legitimate and well structured feedback every game from the professional structure than most of us get in a working lifetime and I'm OK trusting that view rather than my own cherry and white tinted myopia.

On that basis, he ignored the legitimate and well structured feedback, so was being demoted, until covid hit. Since then, I'm not sure he's he's listening to that same advice, as he appears to be the most criticised ref out there.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

15 Oct 2021 22:04 pm:

The RFU could save a lot of money on their Professional Game Match Official Team (referees, ARs, TMOs, advisers and coaches) and simply follow the advise of SW's experts - many of whom haven't kept up with Law changes and interpretations at the highest level of the game - the level that comes under entertainment.

I would love to hear CG if Wayne Barnes blew up for every single little offence he saw (and decided to ignore) throughout a game.

Of course the Laws are there to be refereed but there is context, materiality and flow to take into account.

The ignorance of some on this site staggers me.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby