Saracens still cheating….

Hall of Famer

Re: Saracens still cheating….

15 Oct 2021 13:58 pm:

It's a professional game and of course everyone bends the laws and winning is all important but wouldn't it have been refreshing if Farrell had signalled to the officials that he still had the ball under his arm and the try should be scratched off? It would've regained a certain amount of respect for them far better than 5/7 points (in a game that they won by 14).

Incidentally which ball did he use to kick the conversion? And was he successful?

15 Oct 2021 14:05 pm:

colinboag wrote:KPB, I'm not sure you have the correct term in 'apologist'. I can't recall anyone saying on here (I certainly haven't) that Sarries shouldn't have been punished - they should, and were.

Some, me included, had reservations about the severity of the punishment, but it was what it was. Some, me included, believe that once they've done the punishment it should be considered 'spent'. As for taking their trophies away, it wouldn't worry me if the authorities did - that's their business.

Equally, I find the hatred of Wray a bit sad. He did wrong, and his club were severely punished, but he also did a huge amount of good for the game, and I don't think that should just be airbrushed out.

Maybe recall the words of F Scott Fitzgerald: 'the test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function'. Perhaps come to terms with Sarries' sins, but live with the fact that they're back, adding to the ability of the Prem to recover, and are no doubt being audited to hell!

Loathing and hatred is never a good look.

PS, Bath v Sarries must be causing a dilemma!

There you go making excuses again...as for your comment about Wray, he's ruined rugby with a single stroke in his chequebook.

I was going to write a long response but I'll summarise as follows:

Rugby's core values are:
Teamwork.
Respect.
Enjoyment.
Discipline.
Sportsmanship.

Same as mine, especially respect for those that earn it and don't buy it.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Senior squad member

15 Oct 2021 14:49 pm:

Simmo468 wrote:I don’t think it was really his choice he does after all need to earn a salary. He is now actually teaching in Scotland as well as refereeing local games.

Same position as Tempest who also had to find a salary, but continued to referee. Doyle was already a part time teacher whilst on the full time ref panel. He went to MLR and continued refereeing elsewhere. There are many teacher/referees not on the full time ref panel such as Richards, Tempest, Wrigglesworth.
Hall of Famer

15 Oct 2021 17:13 pm:

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:
colinboag wrote:KPB, I'm not sure you have the correct term in 'apologist'. I can't recall anyone saying on here (I certainly haven't) that Sarries shouldn't have been punished - they should, and were.

Some, me included, had reservations about the severity of the punishment, but it was what it was.,,,etc

There you go making excuses again...as for your comment about Wray, he's ruined rugby with a single stroke in his chequebook.

Rugby's core values are:
Teamwork.
Respect.
Enjoyment.
Discipline.
Sportsmanship.

The "Lucozade" side of The Premiership ?.

Which idiot threw them in the ball and why was it requested?. :lol: .

The try should have been disallowed ..end of. Where was the 4th Official?.

The look of the Wray's faces at Tigers in the last minute was priceless. More of those days and yes the added value of them being back is indeed confirmed.

Bath V Salaries. Tough call; but for me I am behind the enemy as things stand. West Country side; some interchange history with Glaws with players and better banter. Salaries I find totally soulless as a club.
Dude

15 Oct 2021 17:39 pm:

stevieb wrote:It's a professional game and of course everyone bends the laws and winning is all important but wouldn't it have been refreshing if Farrell had signalled to the officials that he still had the ball under his arm and the try should be scratched off? It would've regained a certain amount of respect for them far better than 5/7 points (in a game that they won by 14).

Incidentally which ball did he use to kick the conversion? And was he successful?

Golf is a professional game and you could argue the stakes (from an individual perspective) are higher since it's not a team sport, yet golfers regularly call penalties on themselves. For the benefit of non golfers this is when you accidentally move the ball (even a fraction) before your shot, or it moves slightly as you address it etc. Often nobody notices yet the player will call it and in doing so incur a 2 shot penalty (there is no ‘dispensation’ for honesty). Of course golf isn’t immune from cheating (exhibit 1, Patrick Reed! :lol: :lol: ) but I cannot agree that everyone ‘bends the laws’ nor that this is or should be acceptable.

15 Oct 2021 17:43 pm:

stevieb wrote:It's a professional game and of course everyone bends the laws and winning is all important but wouldn't it have been refreshing if Farrell had signalled to the officials that he still had the ball under his arm and the try should be scratched off? It would've regained a certain amount of respect for them far better than 5/7 points (in a game that they won by 14).

At worst it should've been the bonus point to Falcons they be been cheated out of..so not inconsequential..
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
On the board

15 Oct 2021 17:55 pm:

Lebowski wrote:
Golf is a professional game and you could argue the stakes (from an individual perspective) are higher since it's not a team sport, yet golfers regularly call penalties on themselves. For the benefit of non golfers this is when you accidentally move the ball (even a fraction) before your shot, or it moves slightly as you address it etc. Often nobody notices yet the player will call it and in doing so incur a 2 shot penalty (there is no ‘dispensation’ for honesty). Of course golf isn’t immune from cheating (exhibit 1, Patrick Reed! :lol: :lol: ) but I cannot agree that everyone ‘bends the laws’ nor that this is or should be acceptable.

Agree, Leb. I'm saddened by the view that we should accept dishonesty i.e. cheating or "bending the laws", just because everyone does it. It's a very slippery slope
DavidSillince, aka the obtuse senator
Hall of Famer

15 Oct 2021 18:07 pm:

Hopefully someone will count up the crooked feeds, extra yards taken by kickers, blocking, creeping off-side and a myriad of other chicanery by GRFC players in the game this Sunday and apologise to LI.

Grow up haters.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

15 Oct 2021 18:34 pm:

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:

Some, me included, had reservations about the severity of the punishment, but it was what it was. Some, me included, believe that once they've done the punishment it should be considered 'spent'. As for taking their trophies away, it wouldn't worry me if the authorities did - that's their business.

Equally, I find the hatred of Wray a bit sad. He did wrong, and his club were severely punished, but he also did a huge amount of good for the game, and I don't think that should just be airbrushed out.

Maybe recall the words of F Scott Fitzgerald: 'the test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function'. Perhaps come to terms with Sarries' sins, but live with the fact that they're back, adding to the ability of the Prem to recover, and are no doubt being audited to hell!

Rugby's core values are:
Teamwork.
Respect.
Enjoyment.
Discipline.
Sportsmanship.

+1
Hall of Famer

15 Oct 2021 18:36 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:Hopefully someone will count up the crooked feeds, extra yards taken by kickers, blocking, creeping off-side and a myriad of other chicanery by GRFC players in the game this Sunday and apologise to LI.

Grow up haters.

If you can't see the difference then no-one can help you.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby