Chiefs change of heart on horizon?

Hall of Famer

Re: Chiefs change of heart on horizon?

27 Nov 2021 20:51 pm:

colinboag wrote:Lurker, tempting fate with a vengeance. Bath are gradually getting there and will soon win…when do we play them? ;-)

+1. They were definitely improved yesterday - although Exeter are certainly missing something at present.

Like many, I do take some small pleasure in seeing them struggle - but a Bath win would've been much better for Gloucester yesterday.
Hall of Famer

27 Nov 2021 22:59 pm:

GlawsyD wrote:The 'Long-look Leg' view to the future - we get off lightly!

https://www.hostafan.co/forum/warning-d ... -Oo4qa3J7w

Hilarious and such a accurate satire of current day society!

(Barf finally won something :lol: )
Tuffty

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson

28 Nov 2021 17:05 pm:

Excellent stuff. As ever reality is the best comedy !!
Hall of Famer

29 Nov 2021 15:59 pm:

After all this time arguing the rights and wrongs with indigenous groups have Exeter decided to bury the hatchet?
Hall of Famer

29 Nov 2021 17:45 pm:

Assuming an agreement is eventually reached to the satisfaction of all sides, should the Exeter board accept an offer of smoking a Pipe of Peace with the Native American representatives, or would that upset the anti-smoking lobby?
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
Senior squad member

30 Nov 2021 17:57 pm:

They should change their name to Exeter Chefs and have a mascot with a big white hat and a rolling pin.
Aka Tug

13 Dec 2021 14:02 pm:

aka John Neary
Hero in the making

13 Dec 2021 16:33 pm:

DieTrying wrote:https://www.rugbypass.com/news/glasgow-warriors-take-a-stance-on-exeters-faux-headdress-and-tomahawk-chant/

Ouch. That's embarrassing . Change ahead methinks. Thanks for sharing.
Hall of Famer

13 Dec 2021 20:23 pm:

Does pressing for the removal of such identities from teams risk reducing the visibility of the groups to which those identities originate? Is this a good or bad thing?

When I think of the Washington Redskins I think of Native Americans and their culture, as well as American football; arguably two defining characteristics of the USA. If someone said to me ‘Washington Football Team’ neither of those American characteristics would come to mind.

An erosion of presence? A reduction in conscious awareness?

Could this happen and would it be a good thing or a bad thing?

(With that said, there is nothing wrong with Exeter Rugby - does what it says on the tin).
Tuffty

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
On the board
Location: Munich mostly and sometimes the sprawling metropolis of Stroud

13 Dec 2021 22:10 pm:

I hear what you're saying Tuffty, but I thought the issue was more to do with cultural exploitation, i.e. organisations with no links to Native American culture creating a brand out of it and earning money off it with none of the $$$ going back to those to whom that culture belongs. I don't see them saying anywhere that kids shouldn't run around play cowboys and indians any more.

Someone more knowledgeable on this matter can probably put this straight, but using the term Redskins is also seen as derogatory and a belittling of the Native American people, so there's that behind the Washington move too. Maybe we're too far away this side of the pond to understand well enough, but it seems to me that Washington have noted the issue, held their hands up and corrected their position, whereas Exeter seem to be dragging their heels and not reading the room. Why is it that other clubs and even some of their own fans need to push them towards considering this.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby