Kirill Gotovtsev

Hall of Famer

Re: Kirill Gotovtsev

27 Nov 2021 22:44 pm:

I too would love an away trip to Russia but for the fact that they only ever seem to have one team in Europe and then always in the Challenge rather than the Champions cup.

As epic as a trip to Krasnoyarsk would be (two planes, one to Moscow then one to central Siberia, the "internal" flight is the further by a way...) I would rather see Glaws back where they belong in Europe
Hall of Famer

28 Nov 2021 07:59 am:

Isn't Krasnoyarsk Kirill's previous club? Did he ever play the Bic Biro when Krasnoyarsk were in it ?
Hall of Famer

28 Nov 2021 08:55 am:

stuartjames wrote:Isn't Krasnoyarsk Kirill's previous club? Did he ever play the Bic Biro when Krasnoyarsk were in it ?

Krasnoyarsk has two Premier Rugby teams: Yenisey-STM and Krasny Yar, the latter of which was Kirill's former team.

I think the last time they played in the Challenge cup was around 2018 and from memory, London Irish played them. No idea if Kirill was in that squad though.
Hall of Famer

28 Nov 2021 10:59 am:

Lebowski wrote:Sorry Marcus but I have to disagree with you. Val was very, very highly rated at Wuss and was generally regarded as a major coup when we signed him.

As for the other two, well I for one was very happy with both and the posts are there to prove it. I used to watch all the Super Rugby when SKY had it and had seen plenty of Josh for the Chiefs and Highlanders. As for Balmain…he too was very highly rated when at Leicester. I stand to be corrected by any Leicester contributors but I’m pretty sure he’s the reason they let Kieran Brookes go. For whatever reason it didn’t work out for him at Leicester but he definitely came to us as a player with huge untapped potential. And he’s been one of the best signings I can remember.

Balmain had nearly 100 appearances for Tigers by the age of 25 which considering he was up against Cole and Mulipola both in their primes (Plus Castro when he was first coming though) it's a big achievement plus he the clubs young player of the year.
Hall of Famer

28 Nov 2021 11:07 am:

With Kirill and Frazer at the helm on the tight berth we seem to have quite a potent and most importantly CONSISTENT axis developing. Having a stable scrum is massive. I hope they are both involved against Brissle, and that we target the scrum massively. A push over against the head in front of a full house would set the tone for the rest of the season !!
Hall of Famer

28 Nov 2021 11:13 am:

Slight digression. Why have Elrington and Stanley hardly featured so far?
They don’t like it up ‘em.
Hall of Famer

28 Nov 2021 11:16 am:

madders wrote:Slight digression. Why have Elrington and Stanley hardly featured so far?

Stanley is returning from injury - started for Hartpury yesterday.
Hall of Famer

28 Nov 2021 11:17 am:

madders wrote:Slight digression. Why have Elrington and Stanley hardly featured so far?

Stanley of course had an injury. Elrington has looked useful. With Jamal playing so well and with his experience in the squad and adaptability to be able to switch sides alongside the currently irrepressible Val then in fairness the opportunities haven't yet surfaced. I am sure they will . I would imagine both will be involved in Europe, the next PC matches and possibly one of them in the Bath match .

I guess with the Front row, not withstanding the need for rest if its working then why fix it ?.
Hall of Famer

28 Nov 2021 11:22 am:

I'm not sure about Elrington who has done well. Stanley has been injured but, I think, played for Hartpury yesterday.

At the Fans' Forum the club talked about signing some forwards for next season. I guess that we might look at a front jumper in the line out as Ed Slater seems to be more injury prone and perhaps a number eight given that Ben Morgan is getting towards the end of his career and that we don't know when Jake Polledri might return??

Pure conjecture on my part.
Hall of Famer

28 Nov 2021 12:30 pm:

Ken Burney wrote:I'm not sure about Elrington who has done well. Stanley has been injured but, I think, played for Hartpury yesterday.

At the Fans' Forum the club talked about signing some forwards for next season. I guess that we might look at a front jumper in the line out as Ed Slater seems to be more injury prone and perhaps a number eight given that Ben Morgan is getting towards the end of his career and that we don't know when Jake Polledri might return??

Pure conjecture on my part.

Polledri is a fantastic talent and he is surely part of the teams evolutionary plans; but as you intimate Ken; we don't know when the lad will return. Really gutted for him. It could ( pure conjecture again ) be some time before he plays again. It sounds like it will be a long recovery for him. He's young and extremely fit but the type of injury he has sustained is serious as we all are aware. What is clear is that we have some fantastic ball carriers at the club in Jakes absence and for now I can't see any back row replacements being essential. First time a long while we can say that. We have two very good back up's in the number 8 position too who haven't been mentioned of late. ...Seb and Wiam who are both more than capable.

As for the second row then yes I agree a front jumper would be useful. Slater is not getting any younger but still has a few miles left on the clock . A good grunt of a second row in the Glaws tradition will always be good. Davdison has proved to be a very good signing after all but wouldn't call him a grunt of a second row. He's extremely athletic.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby