Music to my ears...........NOT

Hall of Famer
Location: Sent to Coventry - Well someone's got to live here!

Re: Music to my ears...........NOT

20 Sep 2014 09:59 am:

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:What's wrong with Doombar? Not exactly the worst choice on the planet?

To be fair, no it isn't. I think familiarity is breeding contempt with this beer, it's everywhere like a rash.

As for the choice in Castle Grim, it isn't that many moons ago, there was no real ale available at all in KH. I would personally like to see something a bit more imaginative and furthermore, local in the ground. Those fine people at Gloucester Brewery produce some lovelly ales.

Molson Coors are the problem however. These huge multi-national conglomerates have a hell of a lot of power however. Malvern Hills Brewery used to supply their excellent Black Pear to Sixways but were forced out by Greene King. The brewery I work for used to supply Cov RFC, but despite the best efforts of the bar manager couldn't stop Heineken shoving Theakstons in instead (Best Bitter, not Old Peculier, sadly)
Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson.

20 Sep 2014 10:14 am:

CG - YOur tale of woe is typical. It has been a policy for some years of the Big Conglomerates to deliberately take out any independent that becomes a threat. It is far chaper and more profitable to make keg, dead , chemical beer and the last thing they need is cask real ale taking off any more than it already has. The best way is to take on contracts with main outlets and make their purchase a closed shop. Whilst the conglomerates do buy up breweries ( Theakstons etc.) they then control their output and distribution to suit their marketing strategy. All in all they are not good for the "real ale" market . For me I only drink cask ale from proper independents because that way your helping the whole trade for the future as well as your taste buds.
Hall of Famer

20 Sep 2014 10:26 am:

Strangely enough Theakston's are now independent again, having been bought back from Heineken by the Theakston family. They do however have a trading/distribution deal with Heineken. Suppose that suits both parties, large market for Theakston's , although at what cost :?: and saves Heineken going to the trouble of brewing anything worthwhile. :roll:

20 Sep 2014 10:45 am:

CG - Interesting , I clearly wasn't aware of that development. I guess it both parties are happy then I suppose it works. I can't quite see how it suits Theakstons apart from getting them into lots of big commercial outlets, which I guess is fair enough then. It would be interesting to see why Heineken sold it back?
Last edited by CMGC on 20 Sep 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaspar Sanz

20 Sep 2014 10:59 am:

Aren't some of the Theakston family involved in the Black Sheep Brewery?
Hall of Famer

20 Sep 2014 12:08 pm:

I am old enough (and East Anglian enough) to remember when Greene King IPA was the only decent pint in a sea of keg. Imagine!
www.fumblings.net
Hall of Famer

21 Sep 2014 12:52 pm:

Hey, give me six ;)
Hall of Famer

21 Sep 2014 13:59 pm:

Just to summarise all the complaints about beer, food and music, I walked into the bar from my seat on Friday night to hear some woman singing Forget about the Price Tag :oops:
Hall of Famer

21 Sep 2014 14:38 pm:

Gaspar Sanz wrote:Aren't some of the Theakston family involved in the Black Sheep Brewery?

When the Theakston family sold out to Scottish & Newcastle (now owned by Heineken), Paul Theakston set up Black Sheep right next door to Theakston's in Masham. So called as this made him the black sheep of the family.
On the board

21 Sep 2014 16:33 pm:

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:What's wrong with Doombar? Not exactly the worst choice on the planet?

It's the Strongbow of Ale.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby