Rumours

Re: Rumours

Welly 19 Sep 2018 17:44 pm said..

Glaws wrote:
simple84 wrote:Interesting point by Ben Kay on the Rugby Pod this week talking about balancing player rentention with recruitment to stay inside the salary cap.

He pointed out that most players want a pay rise at the end of their contract, or will look to leave for a club who is offering more. So, if 10 players want a £5k pay rise, that's a hell of a hit on your salary cap, so ultimately some players have to leave for the club to be able to afford pay rises for others and as a result, squads are getting smaller. You then have to balance this with new signings and the increasing wages they will be seeking.

Andy Goode then sacastically asked Jim Hamilton how Saracens manage to come under the cap and they quickly moved on.

Are player bonuses part of the salary cap? I.e. Try scoring bonus etc?
Because you could say, for arguments sake, offer Polledri the same money he's on now, but say every 10 defenders beaten he gets an extra 5k.

Is that how alot of clubs get 'under the cap'.

any money that goes directly to the player counts as cap.
Welly
On the board

Sheddy Mcshedface 19 Sep 2018 19:42 pm said..

Glaws wrote:
simple84 wrote:Interesting point by Ben Kay on the Rugby Pod this week talking about balancing player rentention with recruitment to stay inside the salary cap.

He pointed out that most players want a pay rise at the end of their contract, or will look to leave for a club who is offering more. So, if 10 players want a £5k pay rise, that's a hell of a hit on your salary cap, so ultimately some players have to leave for the club to be able to afford pay rises for others and as a result, squads are getting smaller. You then have to balance this with new signings and the increasing wages they will be seeking.

Andy Goode then sacastically asked Jim Hamilton how Saracens manage to come under the cap and they quickly moved on.

Are player bonuses part of the salary cap? I.e. Try scoring bonus etc?
Because you could say, for arguments sake, offer Polledri the same money he's on now, but say every 10 defenders beaten he gets an extra 5k.

Is that how alot of clubs get 'under the cap'.

Christ we're not made of money. We'd be bankrupt by Christmas if we did that! :lol:
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

ryno_chelt 19 Sep 2018 20:45 pm said..

Number10 wrote:
ryno_chelt wrote:
Glen Sannox wrote:...and squad sizes need to be increasing, not falling!

Are they? I thought senior numbers slightly decreasing and academy increasing.

To be fair Glen said need to be not are. I think you are both right. They are decreasing at a time when they need to be increasing

Quite right. In which case - agreed. Although do think the clubs are right to bring younger lads through who have potential, gives more English players a chance without breaking the bank.
ryno_chelt
Hero in the making

gmarfell 26 Sep 2018 06:56 am said..

Had info from a relative that Ben v has had talks with wasps. He doesn’t particularly get on with Ackerman or cips. Best start looking for a new 9.
gmarfell
Turns out for the A team

Gb83 26 Sep 2018 07:09 am said..

gmarfell wrote:Had info from a relative that Ben v has had talks with wasps. He doesn’t particularly get on with Ackerman or cips. Best start looking for a new 9.

Interesting, can’t say I’m too concerned if he does go as really over hyped in my view. We need a genuine quality 9 to compete with Heinz or go bust and go for a world class starter.
Gb83
On the board

Glen Sannox 26 Sep 2018 07:10 am said..

Fissler reported this a while ago. Wouldn't be a catastrophic loss IMO.
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

steckers 26 Sep 2018 07:21 am said..

I like him - think he is good for the last third of a game when it opens up a little.

Heard that coaching staff aren't that confident about his ability to manage the game (yet). Hence Braley gets the nod ahead of him.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Ashtennisguru 26 Sep 2018 07:21 am said..

That's fine, we'll have Robson back in exchange?
Ashtennisguru
Vice-Captain

Pest 26 Sep 2018 07:27 am said..

I'm not as big a fan of Vellacott as i was of Robson but I'd be happy with that. Not as a trade though.
Pest
Hall of Famer

Gb83 26 Sep 2018 07:32 am said..

Pest wrote:I'm not as big a fan of Vellacott as i was of Robson but I'd be happy with that. Not as a trade though.

Can’t see a trade happening, doubt wasps would accept a downgrade.

9 is a key position for Gloucester to invest in.
Gb83
On the board
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby