Rumours

Hero in the making

Re: Rumours

11 Oct 2021 18:30 pm:

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:Is it not the case that we are not obliged to release him outside the window?

If availability from our other wingers allows we could agree to let him play.

Northampton did that work biggar and for fined £60000 by PR
Hall of Famer

11 Oct 2021 18:35 pm:

Wyn Morgan wrote:
Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:Is it not the case that we are not obliged to release him outside the window?

If availability from our other wingers allows we could agree to let him play.

Northampton did that work biggar and for fined £60000 by PR

Let's not then!
Keyser Sose

12 Oct 2021 14:16 pm:

It wasn't Biggar Saints were fined for, it was George North. But as North had signed for Saints before he was named in the 2013 Lions squad, the Lions payout to player's Clubs went to Saints, which covered their fine for releasing him to Wales outside of the international release period.

We, Glos, came to an agreement for Gareth Cooper to be released but PRL don't like that type of arrangement hence heavy fines.

PRL argue that as the RFU pay the Clubs in England for player release / access, why should English Clubs release players to other Countries outside of the international window, given their in no agreement in place to pay for such release.

So for the Wales vs NZ match, which is outside of the international window, Wales can't select LRZ, Sheedy, Biggar, Lloyd, all of which is completely separate from the self imposed 60 cap threshold, which is why Biggar can't be selected for the match but has more than 60 caps.

12 Oct 2021 15:00 pm:

Excuse my ignorance, but Wales knew that it was outside of the international window so why not find a different week for it?
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

12 Oct 2021 15:08 pm:

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but Wales knew that it was outside of the international window so why not find a different week for it?

Because if it's the All Blacks you'll fill the Principality stadium regardless of who is in the Welsh squad.
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

12 Oct 2021 15:37 pm:

Or...because they're stupid and incompetent...mind you, I think we know the WRU is both!
Cherchez la truffe

12 Oct 2021 16:14 pm:

...and then they moan about players not being made available, as SM says above they know what they are doing .
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....

12 Oct 2021 17:10 pm:

Wales were due to play the AB's last year, covid got in the way, so this is a re-arranged match. Wales already have SA, Aus & Fiji booked in so very little wriggle room.

Perhaps the WRU have got something right though
- those players outside Wales who wanted to play against the AB's might have another think about returning now.
- the match is a sell out, and has been for weeks. It'll be a huge income generator for the WRU.

I struggle to see incompetence in either Colin. They aren't perfect, far from it and recent changes and some decisions make the mind boggle, but on this AB match they seem to have got it right.

Wales will be well beaten though. The number of absentees (playing in England & or injured) is a very long list.
Hall of Famer

12 Oct 2021 20:47 pm:

Lewi7 wrote:Wales were due to play the AB's last year, covid got in the way, so this is a re-arranged match. Wales already have SA, Aus & Fiji booked in so very little wriggle room.

Perhaps the WRU have got something right though
- those players outside Wales who wanted to play against the AB's might have another think about returning now.
- the match is a sell out, and has been for weeks. It'll be a huge income generator for the WRU.

I struggle to see incompetence in either Colin. They aren't perfect, far from it and recent changes and some decisions make the mind boggle, but on this AB match they seem to have got it right.

Wales will be well beaten though. The number of absentees (playing in England & or injured) is a very long list.

I wouldn't mind betting that USA will get a somewhat bigger beating than the Boyos when they play the week before, even if the ABs fielded their kit men. :D
Hero in the making

13 Oct 2021 05:25 am:

Lewi7 wrote:It wasn't Biggar Saints were fined for, it was George North. But as North had signed for Saints before he was named in the 2013 Lions squad, the Lions payout to player's Clubs went to Saints, which covered their fine for releasing him to Wales outside of the international release period.

We, Glos, came to an agreement for Gareth Cooper to be released but PRL don't like that type of arrangement hence heavy fines.

PRL argue that as the RFU pay the Clubs in England for player release / access, why should English Clubs release players to other Countries outside of the international window, given their in no agreement in place to pay for such release.

So for the Wales vs NZ match, which is outside of the international window, Wales can't select LRZ, Sheedy, Biggar, Lloyd, all of which is completely separate from the self imposed 60 cap threshold, which is why Biggar can't be selected for the match but has more than 60 caps.

My mistake. Of course it was GN. Didn’t he have it in his contract that he must be released
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby