Re: Rumours

Glen Sannox 11 Feb 2019 05:44 am said..

ShedOrDead, thanks
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 11 Feb 2019 07:44 am said..

I agree that DC looks best with a “ball playing” 12, which is why I think MA is best suited to his style.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

steckers 11 Feb 2019 10:09 am said..

We obviously have a different definition - the backs moves I was referring to have always been with Billy T or OW.
steckers
Hall of Famer

StroudieGlaws 11 Feb 2019 10:58 am said..

steckers wrote:We obviously have a different definition - the backs moves I was referring to have always been with Billy T or OW.

Also with Billy T our defence is stronger. Sadly as talented as Atkinson is, he doesn't lead the defence from 12 in the same way and that for me is important.
Just a personal opinion which may not be backed up by stats of course.
StroudieGlaws
On the board

steckers 11 Feb 2019 11:18 am said..

I think MA is our best ball carrying 12, and a great offloader - but rarely is anyone on his shoulder looking for it!
steckers
Hall of Famer

ShedOrDead 11 Feb 2019 11:37 am said..

StroudieGlaws wrote:
steckers wrote:We obviously have a different definition - the backs moves I was referring to have always been with Billy T or OW.

Also with Billy T our defence is stronger. Sadly as talented as Atkinson is, he doesn't lead the defence from 12 in the same way and that for me is important.
Just a personal opinion which may not be backed up by stats of course.

My impression is that Cips prefers playing with a 2nd 5/8th: his latest 2 seasons at Pests saw his best Rugby with Gopperth at 12 and this has continued at Glaws with BTT and Williams. Whether this second ball player is at 12 or 13 is almost irrelevant in the Glaws team as positions in attack are clearly dictated by the call at each phase rather than a ridged adherence to the orthodoxy of shirt number. With the recent "Atkinson at 12, BTT at 13", you regularly see Billy come in to inside centre or even first receiver to get Cips/Atkinson targeting wider and more stretched channels.

I also share StroudieGlaws' impression that the Glaws defence is a meaner proposition with BTT running the show: his tackling is excellent, his positioning great and his is a real leader in the line when Glaws are defending, shouting and marshalling people into position like Cips does in attack. The defensive stats for him personally on ESPN read well but they are limited; I wish there were further sources with deeper analytics that I could sink my teeth into as an analysis of Glawster's defence with different combinations for the season is precisely the sort of procrastination I would throw myself into with enthusiasm while I wind down my contract at my current employer...

BTT also offers one other thing: he is Glaws' best place kicker: an 85%+ operator. Not to be sniffed at.

steckers wrote:I think MA is our best ball carrying 12, and a great offloader - but rarely is anyone on his shoulder looking for it!

Yup... a real frustration of mine, too. One can only wonder how Atkinson feels about the same!
ShedOrDead
On the board

Nuts 11 Feb 2019 11:48 am said..

steckers wrote:I think MA is our best ball carrying 12, and a great offloader - but rarely is anyone on his shoulder looking for it!

Not true - there's usually at least around 1000 in the Shed who know it is coming...
Nuts
Vice-Captain

JamesK 11 Feb 2019 12:07 pm said..

Nuts wrote:

Not true - there's usually at least around 1000 in the Shed who know it is coming...

There might be 1000 people in the Shed who know an offload is coming but I don't ever recall them being on MA's shoulder looking for it. If you'd said there were 1000 people in the Shed on a player's back that would have been a different matter ;)
JamesK
Vice-Captain

Chalker 11 Feb 2019 12:51 pm said..

What about the other 3,000 then?
Chalker
Hall of Famer

Sozpr 11 Feb 2019 13:02 pm said..

The MA show and go is a thing of real beauty, however, I always think that it comes off best against tired defenses in the last 20 minutes of games. I know that we haven't seen the best of Trinder yet this season, but I would always start with him in the 13 shirt outside Billy.
Sozpr
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby