Rumours

Re: Rumours

Big Red 12 Feb 2019 21:13 pm said..

The stuff on twitter is a copy and paste job from that BT article. No 'news' in it.
Big Red
Hall of Famer

Sheddy Mcshedface 12 Feb 2019 21:48 pm said..

Exactly, we're not used to the wider rugby world paying attention to what happens to Gloucester players so it is easy to get worked up about but at the end of the day it is the modern equivalent of tomorrows chip paper.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

steckers 12 Feb 2019 22:29 pm said..

I think there would be some rumours coming out of the club somewhere if true. Everyone knows that DC is only in Eng because he wants to play for England - and with him not being selected since the summer - it's an obvious bit of speculation that he will be off.
steckers
Hall of Famer

glawsfan19 12 Feb 2019 22:45 pm said..

Might just be me being cynical or being use to dissapointment as a Glos fan but if Cips was staying would he not of now signed the contract we offered or we would be hearing more positive news of him staying?

The longer it goes on unfortunately the less likely he is to stay. I would imagine he is waiting around to see if he has any chance of being in the world cup set up and featuring for England. I don't blame him btw if his England chances are over it would be stupid not to challenge yourself and get paid extra money rugby is a short career.
glawsfan19
Senior squad member

steckers 12 Feb 2019 22:48 pm said..

True - but there is another year on his current contract - so why would he sign an extension unless it was a very good deal.

Personally, I don't think he will be included in Eng squad unless there is an injury to Ford or Farrell. In which case he will go overseas somewhere.
steckers
Hall of Famer

robs1 13 Feb 2019 08:18 am said..

steckers wrote:True - but there is another year on his current contract - so why would he sign an extension unless it was a very good deal.

Personally, I don't think he will be included in Eng squad unless there is an injury to Ford or Farrell. In which case he will go overseas somewhere.

Exactly. Why would he commit to another year or two if he isnt going to get in the WC squad, playing in France on higher wages for his last contract would be very tempting, if we get one more year from him to the end of his contract and we can bring in a replacement for the following season then im happy
robs1
Hall of Famer

ryno_chelt 13 Feb 2019 08:37 am said..

Jersey situation aside (which was clearly blown out of proportion) he has be amazing for our club. Comes across incredibly well and I’ve completely changed my view of his character, his talent was never in doubt but he has been quality consistently.

I’d love for him to stay but would completely understand if he went to France, ideally after next season, or if it is this year hopefully we get a transfer fee for it.
ryno_chelt
Hero in the making

Westy 13 Feb 2019 11:29 am said..

He leapt up in my estimation when he walked off the pitch at Thomond Park having been sent off - a dubious decision - and he glanced across at the Munster lads and asked if Rory Scannell was ok ...

I hope he stays at least another 2 seasons after this - we need continuity and consistency to improve, especially from our playmaker ...

I think Ford may be dropping out of favour, and I still reckon Danny has a chance to go to the World Cup - he would be high risk for England, they would need to change their game plan to accommodate Danny, but he has the all round ability and intelligence to slot in if Farrell is injured (or suspended!) ...
Back to basics
Westy
Hero in the making

Welly 13 Feb 2019 11:58 am said..

Like Manu he could sign for a French team and play in the RWC.
Welly
Hall of Famer

ShedOrDead 13 Feb 2019 12:51 pm said..

Westy wrote:I think Ford may be dropping out of favour, and I still reckon Danny has a chance to go to the World Cup - he would be high risk for England, they would need to change their game plan to accommodate Danny, but he has the all round ability and intelligence to slot in if Farrell is injured (or suspended!) ...

I don't see any evidence that Ford is dropping out of favour, rather that Eddie has hit on the utterly controversial idea of playing a 10 at 10 and centres in the centre which guarantees Ford the 22 shirt and a complimentary bib one size too large. However, I agree that Danny still has a fair shot at a ticket to Japan having always thought that he offers more as the backup 10 than Ford: he can run a game better than Ford if required to start and crucially, offers more off the bench if required to chase a score with 20 to play. Danny can change the entire focus and structure of an attack on a whim and create real magic and while Ford can be excellent, I don't think he offers the same moments of genius.

Once again, the media has created conjecture and column inches concerning Cips' future from very general and non-specific comments made in an interview on BT. The facts stand that he is contracted to Glaws for this and next season, and he has stated that he has already opened preliminary discussions with a view to extending. Due to the status of these discussions and out of respect for parties beyond himself, he has been cautious when asked to not commit to anything; remember that a key part of his decision - England - is only in his power to influence rather than control. The only thing that has changed since he joined is the fact that he is looking to extend. This is surely a positive, so I do not understand the concern or negativity.

I take the Ackermann view on this as I do with all players: I would love him to stay to the end of his contract and beyond, but only if he would love to stay. If circumstances change such that his heart isn't in it, then... farewell and thank you. All I hope is that circumstances conspire to see him see out his current contract and then extend.
ShedOrDead
On the board
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby