Rumours

Re: Rumours

jacsrab 12 May 2019 20:51 pm said..

Rumours circulating that Wasps are in financial difficulties. Things haven't quite worked out as planned in Coventry apparently.
jacsrab
Turns out for the A team

Paul Simmons 12 May 2019 21:15 pm said..

Hopefully that means they'll take the footy club's money as tenants then - despite their despicable owners (SISU).
Formerly Sky blue
Paul Simmons
Hall of Famer

Chewbacca 12 May 2019 21:55 pm said..

Rumours around finances at Wasps have been circulating for a while. In this instance, I think they’re true, despite statements former senior players to the contrary.

The club took a pretty big gamble going the Ricoh, fincancing plans, business models etc. I don’t think it is working out, even though the rugby, and match day experience they’ve been providing has been good.

I don’t want to see them go bankrupt, but feel it is likely. Sadly, this reflects where out sport is at the moment across the majority of professional leagues.
Last edited by Chewbacca on 13 May 2019 04:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chewbacca
Vice-Captain

RossM 12 May 2019 22:35 pm said..

Sky blue wrote:Hopefully that means they'll take the footy club's money as tenants then - despite their despicable owners (SISU).

I doubt Wasps will take on CCFC as tenants unless Sisu drop the legals entirely. Wasps have been adamant for quite some time now.
‘Politicians and diapers must be changed often and for the same reason.’ Mark Twain.
RossM
Vice-Captain

madders 13 May 2019 07:16 am said..

I’m looking forward to the day Saracens’ finances hit the buffers.....hopefully sooner rather than later.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
madders
Hall of Famer

Herefordpropforward 13 May 2019 07:32 am said..

Clubs going financially south serves the game badly and we should not wish for this. We know that the business model has the potential to be unstable. The responsibility lies with those who should be managing the sport responsibly and properly with transparent guidelines that are robustly monitored. We will all have our own views on how well this is done .
West is best
Herefordpropforward
Hero in the making

Camel 13 May 2019 07:43 am said..

Herefordpropforward wrote:Clubs going financially south serves the game badly and we should not wish for this. We know that the business model has the potential to be unstable. The responsibility lies with those who should be managing the sport responsibly and properly with transparent guidelines that are robustly monitored. We will all have our own views on how well this is done .

Spot on. If we don’t have teams competing, we don’t have a league!

I’ve said for years that Wasps’ model is deeply flawed and that it’ll come crashing down. The CVC money should help the club though, at least in the short-term. I still believe that in less than 10 years, Wasps in their current form will cease to exist.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Camel
Hall of Famer

MattChelt 13 May 2019 07:49 am said..

madders wrote:I’m looking forward to the day Saracens’ finances hit the buffers.....hopefully sooner rather than later.

Out of interest, how much do they earn in prize money as winners of the Champions Cup?
MattChelt
Vice-Captain

stuartjames 13 May 2019 08:20 am said..

Winners got 600K, runners-up 400K (all in Euros) last season, guess it'll be a similar figure this season
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

Castle Grim Reaper 13 May 2019 08:25 am said..

MattChelt wrote:Out of interest, how much do they earn in prize money as winners of the Champions Cup?

There is no prize money, but Octavian Morariu the president of Rugby Europe helps them set-up a buy-to-let :?
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby