Rumours

Re: Rumours

King Prawn Bhuna 13 May 2019 08:37 am said..

jacsrab wrote:Rumours circulating that Wasps are in financial difficulties. Things haven't quite worked out as planned in Coventry apparently.

There's nothing new circulating in this part of the world, if there was the local press would have been straight on it bearing in mind the current discussion with CCFC....FCA are investigating some reporting anomalies in the bond issue, and in fact they are committing to a few million £s investment in the new training facility at Old Leams....so I would suggest more rumour than fact.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
King Prawn Bhuna

Kinga 13 May 2019 10:55 am said..

Daily fail is reporting that the teams are looking at making the Prem 13 teams for next season. Which would save falcons.
They would then introduce a relegation play off for the 13th placed team with Championship winner.

CVC were at Newcastle at the weekend as guests apparently, and there will be meeting next Wednesday (don't know this that means this or next week.)

Looks like times are reporting something similar but i don't hold a subscription.
Kinga
Vice-Captain

King Prawn Bhuna 13 May 2019 11:07 am said..

A RWC and 24 match season...the playoffs will be clashing with Wimbledon!
King Prawn Bhuna

Sheddy Mcshedface 13 May 2019 11:12 am said..

Kinga wrote:Daily fail is reporting that the teams are looking at making the Prem 13 teams for next season. Which would save falcons.
They would then introduce a relegation play off for the 13th placed team with Championship winner.

CVC were at Newcastle at the weekend as guests apparently, and there will be meeting next Wednesday (don't know this that means this or next week.)

Looks like times are reporting something similar but i don't hold a subscription.

Jesus-tap dancing-christ! How many times does it need to be said?

Play-offs for relegation/promotion in rugby are a bad idea as they prevent any team looking to come up from making any signings during the season so if they do make it up they are then shopping around for the scraps and inevitably struggle. Either have promotion/relegation or don't. Don't try and fudge it as a sop to the traditionalists.
Keyser Sose
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Big Red 13 May 2019 12:05 pm said..

Big Red
Hall of Famer

SonofPricey 13 May 2019 12:07 pm said..

This was mentioned very recently at smaller Fan focus group (expansion to 13 team Premiership) and apparently only two of the teams currently in the Championship (including London Irish) were actively looking to get promoted last season. Of the remaining 10, only three others had plans in the next 5 years - and this was dependent on securing investments to improve the respective grounds, training facilities etc.

Even if Ealing finished top next year, they would struggle to be promoted due to the lack of any infrastructure at the ground and tiny crowds. The Premiership clubs, CVC and the RFU do not want another London Welsh situation.
SonofPricey
Hero in the making

lucifer 13 May 2019 12:15 pm said..

Presumably Ealing could groundshare though, as per London Irish and Bristol?
lucifer
Hall of Famer

SonofPricey 13 May 2019 12:33 pm said..

Probably Lucifer. I think the bigger issue is that unlike London Irish and Bristol where the agreements are already in place; Ealing would have to get it sorted in very short order should they get promotion. I am not sure a playoff in any guise helps the situation to be honest - always think its the worst option for all concerned.

The bigger concern with Ealing (in particular) is their non-existent support. Exeter were getting crowds of 4,000 on a regular basis when they got promoted, with bigger attendances against the Cornish Pirates and Bristol. Only one club has a lower average crowd than Ealing - Hartpury!

I am intrigued to see the announcement and if it is related to Promotion/Relegation - particularly because it would need the sign off from the RFU and the Championship too.

Also worth remembering that other than London Irish, no other club in the Championship will get any CVC money.
SonofPricey
Hero in the making

King Prawn Bhuna 13 May 2019 12:39 pm said..

The quote from the Telegraph is
"The Premiership may be expanded to 13 clubs from the end of next season in a move that would guarantee newly promoted London Irish at least two years in the top flight

Which would mean Falcons still relegated.
King Prawn Bhuna

SonofPricey 13 May 2019 12:45 pm said..

Seems a sensible compromise KBP.

Difficult to change the rules before the season has finished.
SonofPricey
Hero in the making
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby