Rumours

Re: Rumours

Lebowski 31 May 2019 08:40 am said..

Merican forester wrote:News of Sean Long joining our coaching staff, any idea what role he would fill? Attack coach? Skills coach? I’m sure it’s been mentioned on here but to lazy to search

He is attack coach at St Helens.
Lebowski

RTS2 31 May 2019 09:08 am said..

Sean Long is an interesting one for a few reasons. Got to respect the man for a few personal "battles" he's had too. It was reported that he struggled to deal with having to retire from the injuries; and I am sure there is a strength within the man that might be seen as one factor. Limited rugby union experience, but then look at Sean Edwards....

It's possible that an academy role might be the option as a stepping stone ?; but I am unsure where he would be seen as being targeted in terms of the senior squad game plan ? . A very good rugby league player in his day ; and a good tactician .
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Ken Burney 31 May 2019 09:13 am said..

Sean Long's skill set as a player was fantastic and he was a very good general. I could see him as Head Coach of our academy.
Ken Burney
Hall of Famer

RTS2 31 May 2019 09:20 am said..

Ken Burney wrote:Sean Long's skill set as a player was fantastic and he was a very good general. I could see him as Head Coach of our academy.

Yes my thoughts too Ken ; with maybe an overlap within the tactical-attacking input within the "Senior" sqaud ?. The Academy Head Coach has become a very important role.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Peanutcoxy 31 May 2019 09:31 am said..

The skill set of ex rugby league players is excellent all round but specifically they understand the intricacies of defence. Whilst he was a great attacking player for St Helens (difficult for me to say that as a Wigan fan) he’s building a reputation as a hell of a defensive coach too. I’m sure if the rumours are true, he will make a great addition to any rugby union squad
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

Lambpie 31 May 2019 09:58 am said..

Not a rumour Gareth Evans signed for the Ospreys
Lambpie
Hero in the making

Porky 31 May 2019 10:06 am said..

Pleased for Gareth. Good fit.
Time you enjoy wasting is never wasted.
Porky
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 31 May 2019 10:22 am said..

I know he was a Wootton Bassett boy...but I assume that he has Welsh connections, can't think why? ;) , hopefully they can get a bit more out of him and maybe some national recognition. Good luck for the future Gareth.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Peanutcoxy 31 May 2019 10:34 am said..

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:I know he was a Wootton Bassett boy...but I assume that he has Welsh connections, can't think why? ;) , hopefully they can get a bit more out of him and maybe some national recognition. Good luck for the future Gareth.

+1
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

Ken Burney 31 May 2019 10:45 am said..

I often felt that Gareth Evans may have made a very good 7 with his pace and skill set. He was unlucky that we are so well stocked in our back row and with his injuries.
Ken Burney
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby