Rumours

Re: Rumours

Neilio44 14 Jun 2019 10:32 am said..

So, a young lad that behaved in a morally repugnant way, but not found guilty (yes, I accept that doesn't necessarily mean 'proven innocent' in the eyes of the law) should be held account for the rest of his life and not be offered a chance of redemption, by these highly moral bastions of cultural ethics, the corporations.

I don't agree with his actions, but FFS, society should give him a chance and not virtue signal - the lady doth protest too much.
If it's wet, drink it.
Neilio44
Hero in the making

tigerchef 14 Jun 2019 11:35 am said..

I never knew that corporations go around raping young women?
tigerchef
On the board

HKC 14 Jun 2019 11:48 am said..

Neilio44 wrote:
I don't agree with his actions, but FFS, society should give him a chance and not virtue signal - the lady doth protest too much.

Is it virtue signalling of me to say that is an incredibly poor choice of words to finish your sentence? But you are quite correct he should be allowed a 2nd chance, nevertheless, he has been proven to be a thoroughly unlikable person and anyone, corporations included, can choose to not be associated with him. It makes complete commercial sense for Diageo to distance themselves from him and avoid alienating one of their core markets.
HKC
On the board

Porky 14 Jun 2019 11:57 am said..

Neilio44 wrote: the lady doth protest too much.

I am sorry to say that is just about the stupidest comment I have read on Shedweb. If "the lady" were your daughter or someone you cared about, your attitude would, I hope, be different.

Of course Jackson deserves a second chance, hence he played in France and has been employed by LI but sponsors are also free to decide whether they want to support a team that has him in it.

What second chance does his "victim" deserve? She was, at best, taken advantage of and, at worst, raped. Either way, it was abhorrent.

My sympathies are entirely with her.
Time you enjoy wasting is never wasted.
Porky
Hall of Famer

Herefordpropforward 14 Jun 2019 12:13 pm said..

Firstly I guess those of us who are blessed with daughters and granddaughters will see this whole sad case through a different lens. Put aside for one moment whether or not the law found the case proven, the key issue for me is the lack of respect shown to the female victim. We have moved on a long way - at least some have - from the Neanderthal views of the past in respect to relationships with women. He needs to show genuine contrition and to publicly demonstrate this through say community work in a crisis centre, or a women’s refuge or similar. He could park his professional career for a while and play at a lower level whilst demonstrating that he has changed. Others have done this in the past so can he. I don’t know if he is guilty or not but the evidence points that he put himself in a precarious situation through choice. I am afraid that for the moment others will see him as damaged goods - not least sponsors.
West is best
Herefordpropforward
Hero in the making

Neilio44 14 Jun 2019 12:52 pm said..

When i said 'the lady doth protest too much' I wasn't referring to the incident. But in hindsight I can see that was a poor choice of words.

I was referring to the hipocrisy of big business and that perhaps not all people who are so outraged haven't done bad things themselves.
If it's wet, drink it.
Neilio44
Hero in the making

Neilio44 14 Jun 2019 12:59 pm said..

Of course I find his behaviour morally bankrupt and disgusting, but I just believe in a second chance in most instances.

Apologies if it came across as offensive - I really didn't mean it to.
If it's wet, drink it.
Neilio44
Hero in the making

Lebowski 14 Jun 2019 13:06 pm said..

Herefordpropforward wrote:Firstly I guess those of us who are blessed with daughters and granddaughters will see this whole sad case through a different lens. Put aside for one moment whether or not the law found the case proven, the key issue for me is the lack of respect shown to the female victim. We have moved on a long way - at least some have - from the Neanderthal views of the past in respect to relationships with women. He needs to show genuine contrition and to publicly demonstrate this through say community work in a crisis centre, or a women’s refuge or similar. He could park his professional career for a while and play at a lower level whilst demonstrating that he has changed. Others have done this in the past so can he. I don’t know if he is guilty or not but the evidence points that he put himself in a precarious situation through choice. I am afraid that for the moment others will see him as damaged goods - not least sponsors.

I have neither daughters nor granddaughters but I agree 100% with what you say.
Lebowski

Porky 14 Jun 2019 13:10 pm said..

Apology accepted.

On his second chance etc. He seems to have closed that chapter in his life and moved on. I suspect the incident will live with, and haunt, the victim for the rest of her life. I repeat, my sympathies are entirely with her.
Time you enjoy wasting is never wasted.
Porky
Hall of Famer

TOBIAS 14 Jun 2019 13:22 pm said..

Being in the Criminal Law business all my working life I have always had a problem with verdicts. A jury has to be sure that the pros have proved their case or not as the case may be. A guilty verdict may not actully mean somone is actally guilty as charged lkewise if someone is found not guilty it may not mean that they are. This is all within the province of the seleted jury. I have had many cases over the years when I thought a clinet had no chance but have been acquitted likewise when I thought the evidence didn`t stack up there have been convictions. My point is that I do like the Scottish version of not proven but I doubt very much that this alternative will ever be introduced in ths Country. Just my opinion and I wouldn`t know what my felow profesionals would opine
TOBIAS
Hero in the making
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby