Rumours

Re: Rumours

Gloucester Mute 27 Feb 2020 11:25 am said..

westglos wrote:I wouldn't want any of those Sarries players unless they wanted to commit for several years. Don't want anyone just looking to avoid Championship rugby!

I would welcome anyone who could benefit the squad (at a sensible price). Short-sighted otherwise.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2328  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Castle Grim Reaper 27 Feb 2020 11:27 am said..

foz750 wrote:Ben Earls confirmed to Briz on a one year loan deal

Was it not true then that you needed to have been within the Premiership salary cap for two years to achieve promotion and that Sarries could therefore not be promoted straight back :?
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

Stealth 27 Feb 2020 11:30 am said..

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:
foz750 wrote:Ben Earls confirmed to Briz on a one year loan deal

Was it not true then that you needed to have been within the Premiership salary cap for two years to achieve promotion and that Sarries could therefore not be promoted straight back :?

That was what I had heard, but couldn't find anything in the laws (quick search) to back it up
Stealth
Vice-Captain

Allez Glaws 27 Feb 2020 12:58 pm said..

My understanding is that the promoted club has to show they would have been compliant with the cap in the year they are promoted, and can show they will be compliant in the following year in the premiership
Allez Glaws
Hero in the making

Castle Grim Reaper 27 Feb 2020 14:16 pm said..

The “Promoted Club” Rule
A particularly interesting question that emerged in the immediate aftermath of the relegation announcement relates to the effect of Regulation 15 of the Regulations. It states:

15.1 A Promoted Club shall, within 28 days of receiving confirmation of promotion to the Gallagher Premiership from PRL, comply with the requirements of Regulation 4.4 by providing to the Salary Cap Manager the documents listed in Regulation 4.4.

15.2 A Promoted Club shall provide copies of its Declaration for the 2018-19 Salary Cap Year and its Certification for the 2017-18 Salary Cap Year as required under Regulations 4.2 and 4.3.

Many immediately interpreted this as a requirement that a promoted club must comply with the Regulations for two consecutive seasons in order to qualify for promotion. Of course, given that Saracens must be in breach this season (2019/20), this would mean they would need to comply with the Regulations for two seasons before being allowed to return to the Premiership. On such an analysis, the earliest Saracens could return to the Premiership would be September 2022.
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

Castle Grim Reaper 27 Feb 2020 14:17 pm said..

However, I do not agree with this view. Firstly, Regulation 15 places no obligation upon any Championship club to comply with the “Senior Ceiling” (i.e. the salary cap). It simply requires them to provide certain documentation. A “Certification” may state that a club has or has not complied with the Senior Ceiling. This in itself does not amount to an obligation to comply with the cap.

Secondly, Regulation 15 is not a condition for promotion, per se. To be promoted, a club must comply with the Minimum Standards Criteria (“MSC”). These cannot be found on Premiership Rugby’s website – another indictment of their commitment to transparent governance – but the “FAQs” suggest that “adherence to the Salary Cap” is one such requirement. As such, the MSC and Regulation 15 combine to create de facto salary cap regulation for the Championship. Still, there is no reason why Saracens’ non-compliance this season would prevent their promotion at the end of next season – as long as they adhere to the cap from next year.

Thirdly, it is my view that Regulation 15 is not designed to punish clubs relegated as a result of Regulation breaches with two years of exile. If this had been the intention, it is far more likely that relegation and a period of exile would have been specifically provided for in Regulation 14.1 (Penalties for Breach of the Regulations). Instead, Regulation 15 exists to complement the MSC and to ensure that Championship clubs with Premiership ambitions are operating in a sustainable and fair manner.

In any event, it is likely that this issue was specifically addressed in the settlement agreement between Saracens and PRL.
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

Lewi7 27 Feb 2020 19:22 pm said..

Not a rumour - Tipuric signs new deal at the Ospreys, turning down a big deal from a Prem club

Toby Booth also appointed as their new head coach this week.
Posts: 3908  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

madders 27 Feb 2020 20:51 pm said..

I can’t believe the space and time he afforded Ntamack on Saturday, a few “ hard tackles” would have taken the wind out of his sails.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
madders
Hall of Famer

Simmo468 27 Feb 2020 21:44 pm said..

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:
The “Promoted Club” Rule
A particularly interesting question that emerged in the immediate aftermath of the relegation announcement relates to the effect of Regulation 15 of the Regulations. It states:

15.1 A Promoted Club shall, within 28 days of receiving confirmation of promotion to the Gallagher Premiership from PRL, comply with the requirements of Regulation 4.4 by providing to the Salary Cap Manager the documents listed in Regulation 4.4.

15.2 A Promoted Club shall provide copies of its Declaration for the 2018-19 Salary Cap Year and its Certification for the 2017-18 Salary Cap Year as required under Regulations 4.2 and 4.3.

Many immediately interpreted this as a requirement that a promoted club must comply with the Regulations for two consecutive seasons in order to qualify for promotion. Of course, given that Saracens must be in breach this season (2019/20), this would mean they would need to comply with the Regulations for two seasons before being allowed to return to the Premiership. On such an analysis, the earliest Saracens could return to the Premiership would be September 2022.

I spoke with the guy who does the rugby and the law blog about this after the relegation was announced.
Nothing in this regulation says they have to be under the cap while in the championship.
The promoted club just needs to disclose the salary information.
The cap averages the value of players contracts over its duration. This regulation is to give visibility of players contract values to stop them front loading contracts while in the championship.
Simmo468
Hall of Famer

Lewi7 28 Feb 2020 11:04 am said..

Yes, but if a Club wants to be promoted their players salary & compliance is assessed. There is no cap in the Championship, but if you to be promoted you have to comply with the Prem rules.
Posts: 3908  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby