Rumours

On the board
Posts: 848

Re: Rumours

16 Mar 2020 13:18 pm:

Well said Ken. They would have to a bit dull at best or happy to go along with it all as it suited them.
On the board
Posts: 757

Re: Rumours

16 Mar 2020 13:33 pm:

I'm sure a good lawyer could look at payments made to Saracens players and the club's denial of some of these payments and make a case for fraud or tax evasion if they wanted to criminally charge them Mute,which I'm led to believe is one of the main reasons the punishment was excepted without appeal
Vice-Captain
Posts: 204

Re: Rumours

16 Mar 2020 15:08 pm:

stevieb wrote:
Porky wrote:The nasty vindictiveness by some on here towards Saracens players is deeply unattractive and unworthy. Most of those commenting adversely seem to possess 20/20 hindsight which leads them to make statements such as suggesting Saracens players should have insisted on relegation clauses in their contracts.

Really?!



I think Staggy was saying this in jest....

Thank you Stevie - I was saying this in jest as who would have though that Saracens would ever have been relegated.

However as to 20/20 hindsight, I had mentioned on here and on other forums before this all came to light that there was no way that Saracens could have 13 (I think that I counted) British and Irish Lions on their books and be under the cap, so maybe I was actually ahead of the game (very rare for me by the way!)

I have to say, though, that I am still mad at Saracens for their systematic breach of the cap - essentially winning championships by cheating - and indeed their complete lack of remorse as has been mentioned, not to mention their stockpiling of internationals for when they likely get promoted at the end of next season. It's just all wrong and I'm definitely not over it. I'm not quite sure how much their cheating impacted on Glaws, but as a Devonian (long story why I support Glaws) I have immense sympathy with Exeter who have been robbed of trophies by their cheating.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1442
Location: Holding on to the floor

Re: Rumours

16 Mar 2020 16:02 pm:

Staggy wrote:I was saying this in jest as who would have though that Saracens would ever have been relegated.


Staggy, apologies for being too uptight to get the irony of your comment. I agree with you about Exeter being the club most disadvantaged by Saracens' cheating and you were right with your view about how their squad was rammed to the gunwhales with internationals and Lions players.

I still feel that, aside from stripping them of their titles, they have been correctly punished and we all need to move on, partly for our sanity and partly to have some empathy with the Saracens players whose world has crashed around them.
The artist formerly known as Porky
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3384

Re: Rumours

16 Mar 2020 16:06 pm:

Can I just say that I don't 100% buy this stuff about Ex' being the most disadvantaged. Had Sarries been weaker, they might not have reached the final, and the team that did might have had a really good day - glorious uncertainty, etc.
Cherchez la truffe
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1243

Re: Rumours

16 Mar 2020 16:47 pm:

colinboag wrote:Can I just say that I don't 100% buy this stuff about Ex' being the most disadvantaged. Had Sarries been weaker, they might not have reached the final, and the team that did might have had a really good day - glorious uncertainty, etc.


Which is the very nature of sport. If the best team in the book always won then there would never be any point playing a game.
Vice-Captain
Posts: 204

Re: Rumours

16 Mar 2020 16:51 pm:

Porky wrote:
Staggy wrote:I was saying this in jest as who would have though that Saracens would ever have been relegated.


Staggy, apologies for being too uptight to get the irony of your comment. I agree with you about Exeter being the club most disadvantaged by Saracens' cheating and you were right with your view about how their squad was rammed to the gunwhales with internationals and Lions players.

I still feel that, aside from stripping them of their titles, they have been correctly punished and we all need to move on, partly for our sanity and partly to have some empathy with the Saracens players whose world has crashed around them.

Porky no apologies needed - on reflection a laughing emoji or similar probably would have made the point in a more sympathetic way :roll: :lol:
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2841
Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County

Re: Rumours

16 Mar 2020 17:18 pm:

caldiglaws wrote:I'm sure a good lawyer could look at payments made to Saracens players and the club's denial of some of these payments and make a case for fraud or tax evasion if they wanted to criminally charge them Mute,which I'm led to believe is one of the main reasons the punishment was excepted without appeal


"Could make a case" and no trial doesn't equal Saracens players being criminals Caldi. You're making yourself look a bit of a cock by suggesting they are criminals...……..simply because you want them to be !! Daft comments IMHO.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1214
Location: West Oxfordshire

Re: Rumours

16 Mar 2020 17:46 pm:

stevieb wrote:
colinboag wrote:Can I just say that I don't 100% buy this stuff about Ex' being the most disadvantaged. Had Sarries been weaker, they might not have reached the final, and the team that did might have had a really good day - glorious uncertainty, etc.


Which is the very nature of sport. If the best team in the book always won then there would never be any point playing a game.

But if you never played a game, how would you know who the best team in the book was... :?
On the board
Posts: 824
Location: Sadly only Oxford now

Re: Rumours

16 Mar 2020 18:30 pm:

I recall in the 80`s my team were always up against it against money in the boots clubs
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby