Rumours

Re: Rumours

caldiglaws 19 May 2020 11:10 am said..

Must have a very small group of players next season to get them under the salary cap but havnt noticed that many leaving at the end of this one especially higher paid ones
caldiglaws
On the board

stuartjames 19 May 2020 11:30 am said..

Naulago is a serving member of the armed forces, I suppose like when we signed Satala, or Rokanuguni (sp?) @ Bath, and his family live the in SW, so I doubt he's on a massive salary, though Bristol are signing a few for next season.
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

Asgard 19 May 2020 11:37 am said..

Beddis wrote:Carl Fearns to Rouen

Richard Hill is coach there, I think?
Asgard
Hall of Famer

jimKRFC 19 May 2020 12:23 pm said..

Asgard wrote:
Beddis wrote:Carl Fearns to Rouen

Richard Hill is coach there, I think?

He is, not gone well this season so not sure how much longer he'll be there.

Bristol leavers - 12
Crane (retirement)
Muldowney (retirement)
Protheroe (Ospreys)
Pincus (Rebels)
N. Thomas (Ospreys)
Madigan (Ulster)
Stirzaker (Montauban)
Thiede (Club tbc)
Hurrell (retirement)
Malton (released)
Batley (Worcester)
Chamberlain (Edinburgh)

Incoming - 7
Eadie
Naulago
Radradra (marque)
Sinckler
Cook
Malins - loan
Earl - loan

So wages wise it looks a pretty neutral change (Radradra being exempt) to me. Cook & Eadie both fairly cheap as not wanted where they were. Naulago no idea, but won't too much. No idea how much Bristol are paying for Earl/Malins, and Madigan & Stirzaker would (mostly) cover Sinckler.

Most of the loses would be due to the training ground development, in the future the expansion of Ashton gate to include 2 hotels, indoor arena/conference centre should help generate income. Plus, howver much Bristol Rugby lose it's nothing compared to City...
jimKRFC
First team regular

glawfindel 19 May 2020 13:31 pm said..

Pat Lam was being interviewed on the Rugby Pod (yes, this podcast has been advertised widely on other threads)

Sounded very grounded and believable when talking about the salary cap at Bristol
glawfindel
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 19 May 2020 13:44 pm said..

Thanks JimKRFC - makes very plausible reasoning seeing the Ins and Outs.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2415  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Allez Glaws 19 May 2020 13:51 pm said..

glawfindel wrote:Pat Lam was being interviewed on the Rugby Pod (yes, this podcast has been advertised widely on other threads)

Sounded very grounded and believable when talking about the salary cap at Bristol

"big money stacked towards those with experience but not necessarily first choice"

Sounds like Crane and Madigan (and previously Varndell) to me, and they're off. Clean break with the Andy Robinson days of big names for the sake of it
Allez Glaws
On the board

jimKRFC 19 May 2020 14:32 pm said..

There's a few others (Lay brother’s, Ryan Edwards, Luke Hamilton, Luke Daniels, Ollie Dawe, Sam Bedlow, John Hawkins and Tom Lindsey) that everyone is expecting to go as well, so cap wise we should be ok.

Andy Robinson had it tougher than Lam. The club was just stablising after a period of bust and nearly bust and lingering in the second teir. Any, top, players we could get in had to come at a big premium. As bad as it was I think it would have been a different story had Ross Rennie stayed fit and kept playing - he was a massive loss. With him we'd have come up sooner and AR would have got more support from SL (as the plan would have been on track).

Not unhappy with Lam though! :D
jimKRFC
First team regular

Lurker 19 May 2020 15:28 pm said..

On the Rugby Pod Goody mentioned that Saracens are trying to be sold. Not heard that before. Assume Wray is trying to get him and his family out?
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Lurker
Hall of Famer

Jimbodini 19 May 2020 16:12 pm said..

I’m willing to make an early claim that if there is rugby next season, Malins and Earls will stay at Bristol after the season ends.
Jimbodini
Hero in the making
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby