Rumours

Re: Rumours

Clive's Pants 22 May 2020 13:43 pm said..

Need to find a way to get two Italian teams in I suspect so goodbye Sarries and a.n.other.
Clive's Pants
Hall of Famer

JC 22 May 2020 14:03 pm said..

A two conference UK and Irish league would be the first steps towards a European League.

Question is would an inaugural UK and Irish league be totally ring-fenced or would the English clubs still be affected by relegation? I can’t see the Premiership clubs going into this with the threat of relegation still looming.
Posts: 512  Location: North County Dublin, via The Longlevens Hood, Castle Grim and Old Richians...
JC
Hero in the making

Up the jumper 22 May 2020 14:24 pm said..

In my opinion, it won't be clubs, it will be franchises. I see several clubs going bust before next season.
Another yard boys, another yard!
Up the jumper
Hero in the making

TOBIAS 22 May 2020 14:57 pm said..

Alas I see us going to the wall
TOBIAS
On the board

lucifer 22 May 2020 15:00 pm said..

Legendoft'Autostrada wrote:I think the UK and Irish league in two conferences, as described by SonofPricey, might be the better solution. No club, province or franchise loses status by playing in a second division. Play-offs then to decide the overall champion.

Legend, I didn't think that was what SoP was proposing unless I'm misunderstanding you. I think he's proposing two conferences equally populated by the EPL and Pro 14 (not the Irish League) minus the Saffa's - essentially a merger between the 2 leagues.

Personally I'm for it, it would make a pleasant change from the same teams every year and if the sponsors push for it (not that I've heard that's on their agenda) it would stand a reasonable chance of coming to fruition. I would still keep the door open for relegation/promotion though.

Colin (apart from the last bit about promotion/relegation) what do you think would be so bad about that?
lucifer
Hall of Famer

Original Tetley 22 May 2020 15:06 pm said..

TOBIAS wrote:Alas I see us going to the wall

That's the spirit!
Original Tetley
Vice-Captain

Crasher 22 May 2020 15:24 pm said..

SonofPricey wrote:
colinboag wrote:I can't wait...NOT!

I am aware that it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but after this is all over it may end up being the only way to continue professional club rugby in a competitive and stable way.

I think this will be the issue - it is going to be the only way to have a professional game, effectively a feeder for International rugby and its going to be very hard to get excited about. As a spectator there may be a gap for semi pro rugby to fill a big gap, some of the older teams and grounds lower down the leagues might see an increase.

It was interesting to see that Kieren Reed was really excited by the prospect of "proper" domestic rugby being played in New Zealand, that he grew up with.

Maybe its nostalgia, but I have always felt the same way about Gloucester being relegated, that it might actually be enjoyable for a year to play e.g. Bedford, Nottingham, Coventry and Jersey
Crasher
Vice-Captain

TOBIAS 22 May 2020 15:55 pm said..

Maybe reality
TOBIAS
On the board

Original Tetley 22 May 2020 17:52 pm said..

Being so cheerful that keeps you going I expect Tobes!
Original Tetley
Vice-Captain

CMGC 22 May 2020 19:06 pm said..

I can't see what hope there is for a Euro league if we can't make the Domestic one work. The least expensive option is to have a Prem and some euro games. That way if salaries are put back to affordable levels the game and most Pro clubs could survive. The Pro 14 is already a Euro league so can continue although it must be expensive on travel and accomodation. That league might be the one to struggle.
CMGC
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby