Rumours

Hall of Famer

Re: Rumours

22 May 2020 19:42 pm:

Original Tetley wrote:
TOBIAS wrote:Alas I see us going to the wall

That's the spirit!

A very dark and pessimistic prediction in my opinion. Let’s see, 1873 to 2020. I make that 3 years from our 150th? Anything interesting happened in that time? We are ‘still standing’ Far too many memories, too many ghosts, too many bricks with family names on, too many people investing their heart and souls in to our club? Nah, I think we will survive.
Hall of Famer

22 May 2020 20:16 pm:

+1
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Hall of Famer

23 May 2020 06:19 am:

+2
Never Stay Down.
Hall of Famer

23 May 2020 06:19 am:

Tobias may be overly negative but all the history, ghost, bricks, memories whatever mean little for us a professional team, it's all about the money, as they say. That shipped sail long ago when we accepted Tom's millions.

We might well survive this crisis, but who can tell at what level, a feeder club for a SW franchise perhaps.

Realistically no one can really say until things get bak to normal and the club/league/sport can function and play the matches.
Vice-Captain

23 May 2020 07:08 am:

Maybe I am naive but the club 'might survive as a feeder for a sw franchise' ?! Really? Are things really that bad? I know the TV money is going to be an issue but this seems blown out of all proportion.
I am sure there may have to be costs cut somewhere but the idea we're going to become some kind of semi pro spit and sawdust club...
First team regular

23 May 2020 08:52 am:

I can't quite see why Covid.19 has suddenly turned us onto the poor relations of the Premiership. Surely any club not blessed(?) with a sugar daddy will face the same difficulties. How we've gone from a Heineken Cup side to potential amateurs is beyond me.
Hall of Famer

23 May 2020 09:21 am:

the idea we are not going to survive due to CoVid-19 etc etc is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while. Chill out guys.
In Skivington we Trust, the future is Cherry & white
Hall of Famer

23 May 2020 09:28 am:

For a club that goes into administration any season ticket monies paid by supporters will unlikely be recovered - although you would hope any new owners, if there are some, would honour the tickets as a loss-lead to get the club up and running again.
Hall of Famer

23 May 2020 09:37 am:

There is a lot of doom and gloom on here! IF we were in that dire financial straights, assume we would sell the Kingsholm city centre plot and move to the outskirts. I don’t think it will come to that.
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Hall of Famer

23 May 2020 09:49 am:

Wilkosam wrote:Maybe I am naive but the club 'might survive as a feeder for a sw franchise' ?! Really? Are things really that bad? I know the TV money is going to be an issue but this seems blown out of all proportion.
I am sure there may have to be costs cut somewhere but the idea we're going to become some kind of semi pro spit and sawdust club...

I am also not that negative BUT SJ raises a valid point IF the whole structure does change and franchises occurr. IF that were to happen it is not difficult to imagine that Bristol Bears/Barf have the biggest cojones and bank balance in our area.

Do I think franchises will happen and a European Super League be formed ?? Not yet BUT this virus has appreciably changed many, many aspects of our previous "normality" and exposed those professional sports clubs - rugby in particular - whom have been "hanging on by a thread" due to finance (and competence). As Bob Dylan sang - "Times they are a'changing……."
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby