Rumours

Hall of Famer

Re: Rumours

23 May 2020 09:52 am:

Lurker wrote:There is a lot of doom and gloom on here! IF we were in that dire financial straights, assume we would sell the Kingsholm city centre plot and move to the outskirts. I don’t think it will come to that.

Property prices re. location will change due to this crisis. Out-of-town with space/parking will be more valuable than inner-City.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hero in the making

23 May 2020 10:24 am:

If franchises were to be the new norm in a UK /Irish / Italian league it will need very careful negotiation. Big mistakes were made in Wales with some proud clubs pushed into the background. I would not favour a SW franchise because in a Bath/Bristol/ Exeter conglomerate we could be marginalised. Far more interesting would be a Severn Franchise with Newport. It would pose an interesting conundrum for the England and Wales RFU’s but sod it problems are there to be solved.
West is best
Hall of Famer

23 May 2020 10:24 am:

We could always move into the Morrisons in the Railway Triangle :D
Vice-Captain

23 May 2020 10:58 am:

Herefordpropforward wrote:If franchises were to be the new norm in a UK /Irish / Italian league it will need very careful negotiation. Big mistakes were made in Wales with some proud clubs pushed into the background. I would not favour a SW franchise because in a Bath/Bristol/ Exeter conglomerate we could be marginalised. Far more interesting would be a Severn Franchise with Newport. It would pose an interesting conundrum for the England and Wales RFU’s but sod it problems are there to be solved.

In terms of marginalisation, I guess in finance terms Bath/Bristol/Exeter are currently those with the clout.
But geographically we are much closer to Bristol and Bath than Exeter is.
That said, I totally agree with the point you make about the regional debacle in Wales, and the need to learn from it.
Hall of Famer

23 May 2020 11:08 am:

With CVC involvement the only consideration will be money and milking as much profit from the sport as possible. I'm not sure they're interested in the long-term (20 yrs +) welfare of the sport.
Hall of Famer

23 May 2020 11:38 am:

Which is why history will count for nothing in the eyes of CVC/money-men.

Of course it will do in the eyes/feet/brains of various club supporters - BUT what little part do they play in the new world. Anyone who looks at the current Wales set-ups will know how years and years of tribal terraces were replaced with phoneyism.

It may have been run on the back of fag-packets but there was a lot to be said for amateurism. :roll: :roll:
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

23 May 2020 12:04 pm:

Remembering days at Kingsholm when players were local, amateur and played because they enjoyed it, any return to something like that holds no worries for me.....it was still an enjoyable day out.
Maybe a reality check on where rugby is going might not be a bad thing.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
Vice-Captain

23 May 2020 12:10 pm:

But Madders, are there not dozens of local rugby clubs you can go to if that is what you're after? The prospect of job losses at the club, dwindling attendances, never being able to watch the club on TV or watch top end internationals turn out at kingsholm does not sound alluring to me...
Hall of Famer

23 May 2020 17:01 pm:

You miss my point, is the Premiership sustainable in its current guise? Will it survive the disruption of the Covid19 situation?
A few clubs with rich benefactors will be ok, but what about the rest? If Gloucester were relegated or had to recreate themselves in a lower division perhaps it wouldn’t be all bad.
I was referring to the pre-professional days ( except Barf who were cheating even then) when the game was more “innocent”.
Games were televised.....good old Nigel Starmer-Smith and Rugby Special.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
Hero in the making

23 May 2020 17:24 pm:

madders wrote:You miss my point, is the Premiership sustainable in its current guise? Will it survive the disruption of the Covid19 situation?
A few clubs with rich benefactors will be ok, but what about the rest? If Gloucester were relegated or had to recreate themselves in a lower division perhaps it wouldn’t be all bad.
I was referring to the pre-professional days ( except Barf who were cheating even then) when the game was more “innocent”.
Games were televised.....good old Nigel Starmer-Smith and Rugby Special.

Whilst yes rugby was 'innocent' back then we cannot go back to the good old days, rugby whether sustainable or not employs a lot of people nowadays not just players & if we were to take backward steps lots of local families & suppliers will suffer.
I hope that the sugar daddies realise that without all the other less rich Clubs then they may not have anyone to play other than in a European Lge which for a while would be a novelty but I cannot see many fans being able to travel all over Europe every other week-
Equally I don't think that there would be much support for Regional Franchises, I can remember the days of the South West which held very little interest at Kingsholm -- again would be a bit of a novelty which would rely upon TC, & razzle dazzle marketing.
My big worry however is the involvement of CVC who aren't investing for nothing, they will want a return on their investment regardless of what that means to the existing set up.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby