Rumours

Re: Rumours

Chris Jones 23 May 2020 18:19 pm said..

Is the CVC money such a bad deal?

I think that another poster’s suggestion of a 2 conference competition of all 6 nation clubs would be exciting and refreshing

The TV contract would then be a valuable asset for more CVC investment.
Chris Jones
Senior squad member

spanish exile 23 May 2020 18:46 pm said..

Chris Jones wrote:Is the CVC money such a bad deal?

I think that another poster’s suggestion of a 2 conference competition of all 6 nation clubs would be exciting and refreshing

The TV contract would then be a valuable asset for more CVC investment.

Yes it may be exciting for the top teams won't say clubs as don't consider Irish provinces, Scotland A & B to be clubs in any way shape or form.
I sadly don't think that we could compete with likes of Leinster, Munster on a regular basis & I would prefer to watch a competitive Glos but my main point is that such a venture would be reliant upon TV. Post Covid times money will be tight & fans will not be able to afford to travel as they do now.
Bristol away is far more affordable than Ireland 4 times a season & Scotland say twice if fans cannot travel then home advantage will be even greater than now.
spanish exile
Vice-Captain

lucifer 23 May 2020 18:56 pm said..

Spanish Exile, it wouldn't be like that if the conferences were equally populated. Then you'd have 2 trips to Ireland and one to Scotland and given the amount of supporters who enjoy the European away games we could potentially get a bigger away support than at other easier to get to venues (eg Saracens, Sale, Northampton). Especially early doors as the games would have the novelty factor.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

Chris Jones 23 May 2020 19:25 pm said..

And what’s so bad about TV money if it can “rescue” some of the poorer clubs?
Chris Jones
Senior squad member

CMGC 23 May 2020 21:24 pm said..

We already have a Euro league for the best UK teams with trips to Ire/ Fr/ etc. All this would do is make the CC pointless.
Far better to reset the Prem with a lower cap and affordable H/A trips to close rivals and then have a few foreign trips in addition with the TV money. We have a successful formula only messed up by the unsustainable salaries paid by rich investors. Change that to make the Prem self sustaining and then it is affordable for both the clubs and the fans.
CMGC

Beddis 23 May 2020 21:40 pm said..

The Rugby Paper front page has a headline of Humphreys in power struggle at Gloucester

I’ll post more in the morning when my copy lands
Posts: 4205  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

SonofPricey 23 May 2020 22:35 pm said..

CMGC wrote:We already have a Euro league for the best UK teams with trips to Ire/ Fr/ etc. All this would do is make the CC pointless.
Far better to reset the Prem with a lower cap and affordable H/A trips to close rivals and then have a few foreign trips in addition with the TV money. We have a successful formula only messed up by the unsustainable salaries paid by rich investors. Change that to make the Prem self sustaining and then it is affordable for both the clubs and the fans.

The Champions Cup is pointless. Dominated by three or four sides every year, all with the biggest bank balances or controlled by their Union (see Leinster/Munster).

There seems to be a misunderstanding about what a ‘franchise’ is too. We already have a quasi-franchise system currently in place with the Golden shares and the uncompetitive Championship. Only one side is ever going to get promoted each year - the one that got relegated from the Premiership the previous season, unless you have a total financial meltdown (see London Welsh or Leeds).

Club rugby will not be sustainable unless Relegation is removed. Full stop. If you suddenly “reset the cap” etc, all the players will move to Japan/France or whoever is paying the most money because it is a Professional sport. The genie is out of the bottle, you can’t put it back in. We have never had a successful formula, as you put it, because since beginning of Professionalism it has always been dominated by the club with the biggest bank balance (Newcastle, Leicester, Saracens - even Gloucester when we were ignoring the salary cap); even before then Bath were paying boot money.

Away supporters in club rugby are a die hard breed and few in numbers. It’s bloody expensive to watch week in, week out - even in England. How much to watch B***; Bristol or Exeter away? I honestly think it would be a nice change to travel to Galway, Glasgow or Llanelli every season.
SonofPricey
Hero in the making

MrGlawsRocker 24 May 2020 00:25 am said..

Good post S.O.P. you are quite bang on with all you said, I personally believe you could quite easily keep a relegation going in a British Isle cup system - currently Welsh Premiership, Scotland Super 6, All Ireland League & Championship have some good teams competing - something could be arranged and their could even be opportunities for more money pumped into this level 9f rugby.

I love the Premiership format, however time and again its proving to not attract the audience nor attention it deserves in elite sport. Put it this way if Jürgan Kloop left Liverpool the way Johan did, it would be a huge story and covered widely by the media, but in news cycle terms it was barely a whispered yip... if anything at all.

Something needs to happen, I think that the provinces of the Pro 14 would enjoy the revenue and personally having a reason to go on nights out in Edinburgh, Cardiff and Munster every year is great, it would also make some of these teams use top players during the domestic season and not just during the Heineken Cup.
In Ackermann we Trust.
MrGlawsRocker
Hall of Famer

lucifer 24 May 2020 00:34 am said..

[quote="SonofPricey"]

If you suddenly “reset the cap” etc, all the players will move to Japan/France or whoever is paying the most money because it is a Professional sport.

SoP, after CV19 I don't think there are suddenly going to be loads of clubs out there trying to snap up players that the PL can't afford any more.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 24 May 2020 06:11 am said..

I still find it strange that, despite being fully aware of the facts, probably the best and one of the highest paid wingers in the world chose to announce his return to the club when he he could have gone anywhere in the world. If the reports from dodgy TRP reporters, a podcast from a couple of well known jokers and troublemakers and the usual Shedweb doomongers are true why would a sensible level headed player and his agent do that ? I can’t believe they didn’t have reasonable reassurances and due diligence done beforehand.

Let’s see....
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
King Prawn Bhuna
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby