Rumours

Re: Rumours

ROLLO 30 Jun 2020 10:22 am said..

With London Irish moving back to Brentford there is going to be some competition for rugby crowds in West London , I am always surprised how little there seems to be.
Posts: 1129  Location: Worcester
ROLLO
Hall of Famer

Re: Rumours

Asgard 30 Jun 2020 10:24 am said..

The chap who used to fund Richmond was a big influence before he went bust and took Richmond with him.
Posts: 1923
Asgard
Hall of Famer

Re: Rumours

lucifer 30 Jun 2020 10:24 am said..

I know I read somewhere that if they got promoted they have another ground lined up that would meet the PL criteria.
Posts: 1505
lucifer
Hall of Famer

Re: Rumours

shedwebadmin 30 Jun 2020 10:49 am said..

In this world of crowdfunding, crowdsourcing etc, could the diaspora ejected from clubs form their own team and become a 'guest' team for a season?

You know how there is a made up team at the olympics for displaced people and so on.. could be a really interesting experiment that could help keep a few players in the game at the top level, ok, probably not earning much, but it would really tell us something about the state of the game if a scratch team could be in any way competitive..

No idea how they would function, where they would train, or play, or any of 'the minor details', but I bet people would get behind them!
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Posts: 556
shedwebadmin
Site Admin

Re: Rumours

Sheddy Mcshedface 30 Jun 2020 10:54 am said..

shedwebadmin wrote:In this world of crowdfunding, crowdsourcing etc, could the diaspora ejected from clubs form their own team and become a 'guest' team for a season?

You know how there is a made up team at the olympics for displaced people and so on.. could be a really interesting experiment that could help keep a few players in the game at the top level, ok, probably not earning much, but it would really tell us something about the state of the game if a scratch team could be in any way competitive..

No idea how they would function, where they would train, or play, or any of 'the minor details', but I bet people would get behind them!


It's a fun idea until you actually give it a lot of thought. Most existing clubs are finding that getting people to come and support them is challenging enough. Who would be supporting this team of largely journeymen? Existing rugby fans presumably have a team. New fans are hardly likely to be drawn in to watch a team of people made up of those let go by everyone else.
Keyser Sose
Posts: 2308
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Re: Rumours

shedwebadmin 30 Jun 2020 10:59 am said..

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:It's a fun idea until you actually give it a lot of thought.

I gave it zero thought, admittedly.. :). Sounded like a crusade for someone.. Genge for example, if he doesn't sign on the dotted line today..

Hope MSQ is having a rummage down the back of the sofa, just in case..
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Posts: 556
shedwebadmin
Site Admin

Re: Rumours

Big Red 30 Jun 2020 11:21 am said..

As someone else suggested, wouldn’t mind having Matt Garvey strength our second row options.
Posts: 2030
Big Red
Hall of Famer

Re: Rumours

SonofPricey 30 Jun 2020 11:49 am said..

lucifer wrote:I know I read somewhere that if they got promoted they have another ground lined up that would meet the PL criteria.


Judging by the crowd size at the current ground, I think a couple of double sofas will be enough. Ealing are not the next Exeter. Their foundations are built on sand and are more than likely going to be another London Welsh.

If you want to look at a potential club that could break into the Premiership with a decent untapped catchment area, potential for use of larger grounds etc look at Nottingham or Doncaster. But again, do they even want to be promoted?
Posts: 550
SonofPricey
Hero in the making

Re: Rumours

Gloucester Mute 30 Jun 2020 12:35 pm said..

Why shouldn't the likes of Cornish Pirates, Jersey - both whom have made some very good signings - along with Ealing, Coventry, Nottingham and Doncaster + Moseley and others be allowed a crack at the big-time if they want ?? If they have ambitious owners and Boards I say "good luck to them". It's their money......

The fact is that a lot of Premiership players have been released. They will gravitate to Championship clubs and displace others whom will in turn go down to National 1 and 2 as semi-pros. Hopefully the quality will be pushed down and our ambitious clubs like Hartpury, Cinderford, Clifton, Dings, Old Centralians and Drybrook will all benefit standard-wise.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2381  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Re: Rumours

lucifer 30 Jun 2020 12:38 pm said..

GM, did Old Cents get promoted in the end?
Posts: 1505
lucifer
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby