Rumours

Re: Rumours

Ferret 07 Jul 2020 20:47 pm said..

I suspect the truth is no one actually knows what’s really happening or reason for what has happened
The key to our future is the maintenance of the club support. That has been our strength in the past and will be in the future.
We need people through the gate, that’s is a good source of income. We can play our part and the players as a team can do theirs too.
We may not have the consistency of say a Saracens or Exeter but we can build on what we have. We are already better placed than the former and I am sure the latter won’t be anticipating easy points when they come up M5.
Let’s put the cap on speculation have some facts and build from there
Ferret
On the board

Clive's Pants 07 Jul 2020 21:12 pm said..

Someone, in one of the threads (this forum is all over the place at the moment), mentioned Stephen Myler. Well he is a couple of weeks away from 36 years - so one more season in him? Has good kicking %age, is ying to Danny’s yang, and would give Lloyd a little more time to develop rather than throw him in at the deep end should Danny have a couple of month’s out injured.
Clive's Pants
Hall of Famer

colinboag 07 Jul 2020 21:14 pm said..

When Fisher arrived I thought he'd be brilliant...he wasn't. When Ackermann helped us to have a great season, I thought we'd kick on...we didn't.

I think that LB, with the help of the senior playing group got ts spot on when he told me that they'd decided against a southern hemisphere coach, and wanted a forwards oriented one..

We're not dismissing JA's contribution, or turning on him, just perhaps admitting that Glaws got it wrong twice in opting for Super Rugby coaches. What is unarguable is that our South African head coach, and some of his southern hemisphere players had the opportunity to show their loyalty to GRFC, and chose not to do that. People will draw their own conclusions about that - I certainly have. I think GM wasn't far wide of the mark when he described them as mercenaries.
Cherchez la truffe
colinboag
Hall of Famer

Saxon Warrior 07 Jul 2020 21:19 pm said..

That’s GG off to France then:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCWe2IGB1Z5 ... ltaf5snwvd

How many dedicated locks do we have now then?

Gutted. IMHO GG is a casualty of previous management mismanagement. We will miss him and his style of play I fear.
Saxon Warrior
Turns out for the A team

DieTrying 07 Jul 2020 21:30 pm said..

Part 1: The problem for me is that Players should never "dictate" who the Coach is nor dictate the tactics. If they don't like it then, imho, they should leave. I'm not sure the likes of Ferguson, Shankly, Baxter, Diamond & McCall etc took crap from anyone and let's be fair, they've won more Trophies than us. It reminds me of a story I heard years ago, where a coach went to see Tom W to complain that PSA was a poor Coach, he was I've been told. TW sacked that coach on the spot. He also sacked PSA a few months later, but it was on his terms not somebody else's.
aka John Neary
DieTrying

DieTrying 07 Jul 2020 21:51 pm said..

Part 2: My second concern is that LB appears a bit too involved in the Playing side. Yes he was MD of the UK side of a major Japanese Company Keiretsu, which is no mean feat. ( google Keiretsu ). However I believe his knowledge of Rugby matters is no more or less than ours. For me his role is to generate the cash to support the Playing side. Yes, I accept that if the Playing side of things starts to go awry, he should step in BUT, imho, and ignoring the C-19 pressure, I think he's been more "starstruck" than "business-like".
aka John Neary
DieTrying

colinboag 08 Jul 2020 04:40 am said..

The players didn’t ‘dictate’ who the coach should be. They were asked for their views on the type of coach they thought would be best for GR - as they’d seen the two Super Rugby coaches in action at first hand I think that was an OK thing to do. What they said was in line with the management’s thinking - I am told that they were not asked to suggest names.

Let’s be frank: things had gone so badly this season that something had to change, either tactics or personnel.
Cherchez la truffe
colinboag
Hall of Famer

Baldhead2 08 Jul 2020 06:53 am said..

don't overlook, there's this little bug thingy going around as well that has decemeted all previous plans and strategies for the club.Leavers are not solely going because they haven't performed or were mismanaged etc, they are going because we are cutting our cloth according to the new circumstances the club finds itself in.
Nobody has responded to my question who was the better coach and why out of TT and RT, by the way.
re players leaving if we are honest with ourselves then we've lost mainly bench or squad players with just 2 maybe 3 being starters. Thats not to say those bench or squad players were not starters when fit but lets be honest Kriel and Marshall as top notch players as they were, they hardly smelt the grass last season let alone this.
IMHO, we had/have too many long term or persistantly/constantly injured and that is disruptive to any coaches plans.
Baldhead2
Senior squad member

colinboag 08 Jul 2020 07:14 am said..

'Nobody has responded to my question who was the better coach and why out of TT and RT, by the way.'

Without in any way trying to be disrespectful, maybe that's because it's an impossible question. I think you'd have to be a player who'd worked with both to have a valid opinion on that...and even then prejudice will get in the way. Average coaches do OK in the right environment, and good coaches fail if things around them are wrong.

Besides, RT was only with us for a very short period. Here's another question: what does a Skills Coach actually do? Teach players to catch a ball?
Last edited by colinboag on 08 Jul 2020 07:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cherchez la truffe
colinboag
Hall of Famer

westglos 08 Jul 2020 07:16 am said..

Baldhead 2 - Re your question about TT and RT, what I do know is that TT is more of a "team player", RT more "individualist".
westglos
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby