Rumours

Hall of Famer

Re: Rumours

18 Aug 2020 11:02 am:

Allez Glaws wrote:The bit where it says ruck.co.uk means it's a load of cr*p

A wonderful sign that the rugby season is back in full swing when online clickbaiters like ruck.co.uk are once more running weekly articles linking Cips with a move to France/Japan/USA/Love-Island/Mars. It's just a shame that it is online so we can't even use their output as wrapping for a portion of chips.
Hall of Famer
Location: Sent to Coventry - Well someone's got to live here!

18 Aug 2020 11:39 am:

ShedOrDead wrote:It's just a shame that it is online so we can't even use their output as wrapping for a portion of chips.
Or even better, rip it into squares and put it on the nail. 8-)
Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson.
Hall of Famer

19 Aug 2020 10:15 am:

The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
Hall of Famer

19 Aug 2020 10:21 am:

This is exactly what the Premiership needs, bigger squads within a lower salary cap - more but cheaper players, and no marquee ones This is the answer to player welfare, and I'd love to see it becoming the norm, not just in this peculiar end to the season.
Cherchez la truffe
Hall of Famer

19 Aug 2020 10:23 am:

colinboag wrote:This is exactly what the Premiership needs, bigger squads within a lower salary cap - more but cheaper players, and no marquee ones This is the answer to player welfare, and I'd love to see it becoming the norm, not just in this peculiar end to the season.

I could not agree more.
Never Stay Down.
First team regular

19 Aug 2020 10:57 am:

Resulting in a reduction of quality?
Hall of Famer

19 Aug 2020 11:08 am:

There would not necessarily be a reduction in quality because player workloads could be managed better - players could be physically and mentally fresher.

For example, I thought that Franco Mostert was outstanding for us in his first season but merely very good this season - I suspect that his playing workload, at both club and international level, had reduced his performance levels for us this season.

The bottom line is that the salary cap has been too high for too long. This is the major reason that only Exeter has been in the black.

I expect that salaries will gradually decrease in real terms, that squads will gradually get larger (due to player welfare needs) and that clubs will increasingly look to their academies to bring in new players to the first team squads.

This is the way that I read the tea leaves - I might prove to be completely wrong!
Hall of Famer

19 Aug 2020 11:10 am:

You can't have it both ways...if you want the best (and therefore most expensive) players in the world in the Prem, then that will lead to smaller squad sizes (because there's a cap), and player welfare goes out of the window again.

If Glaws play Bath, do you really care who's wearing the shirt? What you want is two squads that cost pretty much the same, so that you get a really competitive match, probably decided by who the best coaches are! The alternative is that we carry on the way we are, with clubs making unsustainable losses, and maybe a few going to the wall.

Yes, quality might drop a little, but we'll still have the best and most competitive league in world rugby
Cherchez la truffe
Hall of Famer

19 Aug 2020 11:14 am:

Given the last few posts, the news that Jack Clifford has Retired due to injury seems sadly apt.[url][/url]
Hero in the making

19 Aug 2020 11:15 am:

colinboag wrote:This is exactly what the Premiership needs, bigger squads within a lower salary cap - more but cheaper players, and no marquee ones This is the answer to player welfare, and I'd love to see it becoming the norm, not just in this peculiar end to the season.

Possibly the most sensible post I’ve read for a while.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby