Rumours

Hall of Famer

Re: Rumours

12 Jan 2021 17:38 pm:

Maybe we should learn from the past though and ask "why they left (when they did)" ?? In order that history doesn't repeat itself...........
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 12:20 pm:

Confirmed Weir back to Glasgow. He goes with our best wishes a fair enough decision taking everything into account.

13 Jan 2021 12:28 pm:

Spot on Mute - recruitment and retention hasn't been a strong point, but then finances can only allow so much. The ethos now though of developing more Glos based players through the academy is the right way to go.
Vice-Captain

13 Jan 2021 12:43 pm:

Lewi7 wrote:Spot on Mute - recruitment and retention hasn't been a strong point, but then finances can only allow so much. The ethos now though of developing more Glos based players through the academy is the right way to go.

That’s the key. Development. If I can see progression in our game, that leads to better league table performance year on year and more importantly as a player I am being coached to be better. Then if the money is there or there about and the mrs is happy we have far more chance in keeping hold of our players. Eg Exeter. They lose very few of their own.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 15:06 pm:

Apparently Tigers signing Julian Montoya contract begins this month.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 17:17 pm:

Welly wrote:Apparently Tigers signing Julian Montoya contract begins this month.

If you get this reference, you're a fellow geek.

In Skivington we Trust, the future is Cherry & white
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 17:41 pm:

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 18:09 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:Maybe we should learn from the past though and ask "why they left (when they did)" ?? In order that history doesn't repeat itself...........

I guess there are lots of factors such as:

- Salary cap is there room for a break through player at the time they need to move into the adult squad can we afford to keep them?

-Potential v realised ability, when Randell left we could all see his potential but it was far from realised at the time, when they weighed that up against say Heinz, Braley and Vellacott who would we have let go without the luxury or hindsight

-Team Balance, did we need to invest in the position at the time, SH was a strong position for us

-Contracts, if other are engaged for the foreseeable we might not have been able to keep him even if we wanted to.

- International aspersions did the management look at the impact of him having to leave at some point if he was capped for Wales and feel it wasn’t worth the investment because of who else was coming through.

There are lots of moving parts to juggle and that is without even considering what the player may or may not have wanted.
Hero in the making

13 Jan 2021 18:49 pm:

Princess Bride, pure genius.
Hall of Famer

14 Jan 2021 12:37 pm:

André the Giant, 7'4" and 37 stone, would have been some player :D
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby