Rumours

Hall of Famer

Re: Rumours

07 Apr 2021 19:08 pm:

Steve M wrote:This is all running of the 'Rumours' topic but I know many on here like these diversions.

Just a thought on the current theme. If we are not to be in the relegation battle next season with the players we seem to have lined up, which other teams do we all think will be worse next season as currently only Worcs are below us in the firing line ?

Ealing Trailfinders will probably struggle without a lot of signings.
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

07 Apr 2021 19:08 pm:

There is a Fans' Forum next week (14th) and I would not be surprised if the panel make some announcements/pronouncements about the squad then.
The artist formerly known as Porky
Hall of Famer

07 Apr 2021 19:42 pm:

Allen Prior wrote:There is a Fans' Forum next week (14th) and I would not be surprised if the panel make some announcements/pronouncements about the squad then.

I’d imagine so Allen. Utterly pointless to keep ‘updating’ us with no actual updates.
Hall of Famer

07 Apr 2021 19:48 pm:

We’ve already been told we will be adding to the squad. Last few weeks have made things very clear to George where we need to strengthen. The game against LaRochelle has made it more clear,than playing just about any other side,what we need. In addition...... George is getting close to his squad, last part of last season and this one was his ‘period of grace’ next season, he and the other coaches have to deliver. I’m confident he will, top 4 and the challenge cup trophy will do just fine.
Vice-Captain

07 Apr 2021 20:08 pm:

I’m with Baz in that clearly we need to start delivering more next season. I see some green shoots, and will be fascinated to see if they produce some decent results in the run-in but, in my mind, these extra signings are going need to be something special to get us anywhere near being a top 4 squad.
Neil Vincent
We all watch the same match but each of us sees a different game
Vice-Captain

07 Apr 2021 20:09 pm:

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:Louis Zees-Mammit?

Oops. Being doing that a lot recently..think it's because GS refers to him as Zam :oops:
Hall of Famer

07 Apr 2021 20:16 pm:

I think we all need to be realistic about this latest rebuild. For all of our ambitions, there will be 12 more teams all hoping to improve too. As we know some have far bigger chequebooks. This league gets harder every year and even harder if you stand still. I would be flabbergasted if we got anywhere near the top half of the prem in the next two seasons.
Dude

07 Apr 2021 20:18 pm:

Agree with Baz but I don’t think the extra signings need to be special in order for us to progress. I just think they need to be solid.

Sorry but I simply don’t believe you can look at other teams and say ‘we will be better than them......not them’. There are too many variables. Players can look hugely better or worse in different environments. Easy to look at successful teams and think their players are all better. Not necessarily. As I’ve said, the likes of Seville and Walker...........Championship players last season, emerging stars this. I have huge confidence in our current coaching set up and genuinely believe we’ll be a solid mid table team next season, and on an upward trajectory.
Hall of Famer

07 Apr 2021 20:22 pm:

The point on the academy is an interesting one.

Arguably, the best academy in the Country is Saracens. As we all know, they had an incredibly talented crop come through in the last 5 / 8 years.

Would Jamie George be the player he is today, without Smit and Brits to learn from? Would Farrell be as good if it wasn’t for Hodgson? etc. etc.

I’m all for academy players coming through, but if we want to turn them into top class players, then they not only need coaches to develop them, but top class senior players too.

We’ve been quick to let players like Willie and Afoa go, largely due to their ages. Our club appears to be on a drive to lower the average age of the squad.

My view is that our experienced players have a huge part to play in the development of our young prospects. To me, it’s incredibly important we retain that senior element to support them. Letting Willie go was in my view, an appalling decision for that reason, as was letting Afoa go. Let’s hope the club don’t make the same mistake with 36 and any players added have the experience to guide our youngsters.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Hall of Famer

07 Apr 2021 20:30 pm:

Baz wrote:We’ve already been told we will be adding to the squad. Last few weeks have made things very clear to George where we need to strengthen. The game against LaRochelle has made it more clear,than playing just about any other side,what we need. In addition...... George is getting close to his squad, last part of last season and this one was his ‘period of grace’ next season, he and the other coaches have to deliver. I’m confident he will, top 4 and the challenge cup trophy will do just fine.

Agreed. For me, top 6 would represent the required progress and I think if we bring in the right players, then we’ll have a squad to achieve that.

Right now, I think we have have a squad which on paper, should be higher up the league than our current position suggests. But as you say, this season and last were freebies. 2021/22 is time for improvement and I do back them to deliver.

‘Defence and tackling’ should be in bold capitals, plastered all over the white boards around the training ground and at the stadium. Sort that and I think we’ll find ourselves moving up the league pretty quickly.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby