Rumours

Hall of Famer

Re: Rumours

07 Apr 2021 21:22 pm:

Camel wrote:
Agreed. For me, top 6 would represent the required progress and I think if we bring in the right players, then we’ll have a squad to achieve that.

Right now, I think we have have a squad which on paper, should be higher up the league than our current position suggests. But as you say, this season and last were freebies. 2021/22 is time for improvement and I do back them to deliver.

‘Defence and tackling’ should be in bold capitals, plastered all over the white boards around the training ground and at the stadium. Sort that and I think we’ll find ourselves moving up the league pretty quickly.

Top 6 for me as well I think too many teams further up the progress ladder and with cash to spend to make top4 viable next year.
I personally don’t care about superstars coming in I’d rather have the cash spent on two or three solid performers than one mega signing. We have all seen it before and most of the time they are underwhelming.
Hall of Famer

08 Apr 2021 08:25 am:

In terms of required progress, any call for a top 4 finish next year as a minimum is an interesting one. Think we’re asking for rabbits out of hats in some respects. I’ve put Exeter’s journey through the prem below. It took 5 years to reach and maintain a place in the top 4, 5 years of rattling around between fifth and eighth.

I can imagine glos rugby and shedweb (2 entities not keen on delayed gratification) demanding Baxter’s departure in summer 2014 following a 3 year decline!

Success probably won’t come next year - if it does then it will be hard to sustain. GS and the new team need time and I hope that they are given it. Don’t forget that there are 11 other teams full of quality players and good coaches with the same goal as us. The premiership is a competitive place and we should be looking for progress over time with the understanding that there are blips in the road.

2010-11 - 8
2011-12 - 5
2012 - 13 - 6
2013 - 14 - 8
2014 - 15 - 5
2015 - 16 - 2
2016 - 17 - 2
2017 - 18 - 1
2018 - 19 - 1
2019 - 20 - 1
Hall of Famer

08 Apr 2021 08:43 am:

theoptimist wrote:In terms of required progress, any call for a top 4 finish next year as a minimum is an interesting one. Think we’re asking for rabbits out of hats in some respects. I’ve put Exeter’s journey through the prem below. It took 5 years to reach and maintain a place in the top 4, 5 years of rattling around between fifth and eighth.

I can imagine glos rugby and shedweb (2 entities not keen on delayed gratification) demanding Baxter’s departure in summer 2014 following a 3 year decline!

Success probably won’t come next year - if it does then it will be hard to sustain. GS and the new team need time and I hope that they are given it. Don’t forget that there are 11 other teams full of quality players and good coaches with the same goal as us. The premiership is a competitive place and we should be looking for progress over time with the understanding that there are blips in the road.

2010-11 - 8
2011-12 - 5
2012 - 13 - 6
2013 - 14 - 8
2014 - 15 - 5
2015 - 16 - 2
2016 - 17 - 2
2017 - 18 - 1
2018 - 19 - 1
2019 - 20 - 1

I think top 6 would be a stretch, would just be nice not to be stuck in a relegation battle.
Hero in the making

08 Apr 2021 08:59 am:

I would be happy with a good run in the Challenge Cup if we qualify (not sure how that works) & to show progress winning far more home games & being competitive away.
Realistically I think 7th/8th would be a decent target & if we are there with 6 games to go who knows what could happen if we manage a big finish.
Hall of Famer

08 Apr 2021 10:37 am:

A few weeks ago most of us were happy to hear the announcement of no relegation. I still am.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
Hero in the making

08 Apr 2021 10:56 am:

I'd like to see us finish next season in the top 8. The season after that I'd be hoping for more. I'm sure by that stage though some fresh nonsense will have occurred and we'll be after a new head coach!
Hall of Famer

08 Apr 2021 12:35 pm:

Camel wrote:The point on the academy is an interesting one.

Arguably, the best academy in the Country is Saracens. As we all know, they had an incredibly talented crop come through in the last 5 / 8 years.

Would Jamie George be the player he is today, without Smit and Brits to learn from? Would Farrell be as good if it wasn’t for Hodgson? etc. etc.

I’m all for academy players coming through, but if we want to turn them into top class players, then they not only need coaches to develop them, but top class senior players too.

We’ve been quick to let players like Willie and Afoa go, largely due to their ages. Our club appears to be on a drive to lower the average age of the squad.

My view is that our experienced players have a huge part to play in the development of our young prospects. To me, it’s incredibly important we retain that senior element to support them. Letting Willie go was in my view, an appalling decision for that reason, as was letting Afoa go. Let’s hope the club don’t make the same mistake with 36 and any players added have the experience to guide our youngsters.

Didn't I read somewhere that the Saracens best academy players were often established elsewhere, signed into the academy and then subsequently graduated into the Premiership for skew the "homegrown" stats?

Hartpury facilities are really good, we have something quite special and it needs to be used to its full potential and continued investment.
Enter something positive here.
Hall of Famer

08 Apr 2021 16:53 pm:

BTT to Sarries!
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
Vice-Captain

08 Apr 2021 17:04 pm:

madders wrote:BTT to Sarries!

Kennedy's dead!
Hall of Famer

08 Apr 2021 17:05 pm:

madders wrote:BTT to Sarries!

Announced? Or the same rumour from last weekend's TRP?
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby